Cane Broom | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cane Broom

Reaction Score
If that quote is legit then no wonder we were violating the rules and still ended up with a horrid roster

Reaction Score
So back in March 2016, when Cane Broome was waiting for the call from UConn, here are all the guards that would have been on the roster in 2017-18: Jalen Adams and Alterique Gilbert.
Vital too right? Or am I missing something? Still point made.

Reaction Score
I must be missing something here. Is Cane Broome good? He's a 6-foot guard (and that's probably being generous) who is a 33% career three point shooter, posts about a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio over three seasons, and certainly didn't promise anything defensively. And he's averaging 8 points per game right now for Cincinnati in his junior year after they burned a scholarship so he could sit out last year.

I mean, in hindsight, he'd make this team better and he makes Cincinnati better. But Ollie was making that call three Gilbert shoulder dislocations ago, before MAL had de-committed (and I know he hadn't committed by that point but Ollie had to have known he was in the driver's seat), before the Diallo fiasco, and before he plucked Vital late in the period who I still prefer to Broome as a player. And no, it was not obvious that Hamilton was going to the draft.

They were 100% right to not offer him a ship.

Reaction Score
So back in March 2016, when Cane Broome was waiting for the call from UConn, here are all the guards that would have been on the roster in 2017-18: Jalen Adams and Alterique Gilbert.

MAL didn't decommitt until March 31st

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The only thing worse than WeHa is ‘chip’ and ‘ship’.

Sure he averages 20 minutes on the #6 kp team but we are good. Certainly Cinncinati is clueless.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
we're talking about a kid with two years of eligibility remaining when we already had Adams and a Burger Boy at PG, plus DHam was supposed to return. We also had Vance Jackson coming in. Who knows who else was in the pipeline at the time, maybe it looked as if we would land some other top guard which we just happened to do, although he changed his mind.

Nobody knows why Ollie didn't offer, nobody knows what was in their minds at the time. More speculation running rampart and always assuming the worse.

And nobody knew DHam wasn't coming back until he went home after the spring semester. When he left, he was returning

Nothing butt piling on IMO. Furthermore, the way people are talking about this, you'd think Cane was a 4star freshmen recruit averaging 18 points and 7 assists per game or something, geez.

I will concede that with AG out, it would be nice to have a 2nd ball handler on the team who could actually give Jalen a few minutes off every game. Hindsight is 20/20, and with hindsight it becomes cringe worthy and somewhat laughable that we don't have him. But I don't know enough to fault KO on this

Last edited:
Reaction Score
we're talking about a kid with two years of eligibility remaining when we already had Adams and a Burger Boy at PG, plus DHam was supposed to return. We also had Vance Jackson coming in. Who knows who else was in the pipeline at the time, maybe it looked as if we would land some other top guard which we just happened to do, although he changed his mind.

Nobody knows why Ollie didn't offer, nobody knows what was in their minds at the time. More speculation running rampart and always assuming the worse.

And nobody knew DHam wasn't coming back until he went home after the spring semester. When he left, he was returning

Nothing butt piling on IMO. Furthermore, the way people are talking about this, you'd think Cane was a 4star freshmen recruit averaging 18 points and 7 assists per game or something, geez.

I will concede that with AG out, it would be nice to have a 2nd ball handler on the team who could actually give Jalen a few minutes off every game. Hindsight is 20/20, and with hindsight it becomes cringe worthy and somewhat laughable that we don't have him. But I don't know enough to fault KO on this
Most are concerned with the recruiting process. What was communicated to April & June.

If 2 Yarders are competing for the coveted Golden Bone (an award for who has the most likes/analogous to AAC Title) do you think one would campaign for the other Yarder (the competition)? This could be a question for fluedslipcon to analyze.

I seriously doubt it though!

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
Ollie has consistently had too few guards on the roster the last few years. Who knows if we should have offered Cane but we should have offered more guards than we did.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I'm going to give KO a break on this one. He chose to recruit what he considered superior talent. That's what is constantly asked for on the Yard. There have obviously been some local talent under recruited by the staff but I can understand why Ollie chose to prioritize other players than Broom. There has to be a good joke using the name Cane Broom and the state of our program but at this point it would feel like piling on.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I must be missing something here. Is Cane Broome good? He's a 6-foot guard (and that's probably being generous) who is a 33% career three point shooter, posts about a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio over three seasons, and certainly didn't promise anything defensively. And he's averaging 8 points per game right now for Cincinnati in his junior year after they burned a scholarship so he could sit out last year.

I mean, in hindsight, he'd make this team better and he makes Cincinnati better. But Ollie was making that call three Gilbert shoulder dislocations ago, before MAL had de-committed (and I know he hadn't committed by that point but Ollie had to have known he was in the driver's seat), before the Diallo fiasco, and before he plucked Vital late in the period who I still prefer to Broome as a player. And no, it was not obvious that Hamilton was going to the draft.

They were 100% right to not offer him a ship.
As is commonly the case, your analysis and argument are measured, reasonable, and fact-based.

Here is something you might be missing, and I offer this in the spirit of being helpful to both you and @willie99:

I 'double-read' The Boneyard a lot. The first time I scroll down the page, I don't see the comments from those I ignore. (Heck, I miss entire posts if I'm logged in, like Scrappy's query on Glen Miller). On my second take, I click on "Show Ignored Content" and see who inspired outrage, as well as hissy fits between the relentlessly annoying from all points of view. Yes, @whaler11, I do this too. It fills some time I used to spend watching good basketball.

Here's where I'm going with this - there have only been 2 comments made here by posters I ignore. These anguished barbs are not coming from the pitchfork crowd. It doesn't matter that you can accurately claim that 20-20 hindsight paints a false picture when perception so frequently beats reality in emotional matters.

And not for nothing, a sixth man who puts up 3.3 assists a game sounds good to me.

Reaction Score
If Ollie wasn’t taking him, I have him no problem with him trying to get more talent into the conference. We want the American to have good teams. I don’t think Broome would be looking as good if he were on this team anyway.

Reaction Score
He's going to light it up in front of a thousand Bearcat fans from east Hartford:confused:

Reaction Score
I was able to chat with April & Sam "June" at the Pro AM. They told me if Cane was a girl they would have named her May. True story. We were eating free bags of Doritos when chit chatting.
Not Wisk?

Reaction Score
I think the jury is still out on the Cane Broome option. His numbers in his first year of transfer are not eye popping, but given the transition to a higher level and sitting a year out the real interesting thing will be how he does in his senior year. He's clearly quick and can score, but if he transitions to a 15pt scorer next year then it was a miss.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom