World Cup Pretournament Exhibition
Antibes, FR - 10:30 AM ET
TV: None

Live stats:
FIBA LiveStats

Team USA Roster
Tina Charles (New York Liberty)
Layshia Clarendon (Connecticut Sun)
Napheesa Collier (University of Connecticut)
Brittney Griner (Phoenix Mercury)
Tiffany Mitchell (Indiana Fever)
Nneka Ogwumike (Los Angeles Sparks)
Kelsey Plum (Las Vegas Aces)
Diana Taurasi (Phoenix Mercury)
Morgan Tuck (Connecticut Sun)
Elizabeth Williams (Atlanta Dream)
A’ja Wilson (Las Vegas Aces)

Team Canada Roster
Natalie Achonwa (Indiana Fever)
Miranda Ayim (Basket Landes FR)
Bridget Carleton (Iowa State)
Shay Colley (Michigan State)
Nirra Fields (Energa Torun POL)
Kim Gaucher (Mondeville FR)
Ruth Hamblin (Castor Braine BLG)
Miah-Marie Langlois (Novosibirsk Dynamo RU)
Kia Nurse (New York Liberty)
Michelle Plouffe (Lyon FR)
Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe (Bourges FR)
Jamie Weisner Scott (Bendigo Spirit)

Reaction Score
Starters
D88FA4A4-B143-4CF6-8284-518567B388B8.jpeg

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Kia Nurse had a really tough game 2-14 (0-8 from 2pt) 1A, 3TO and 2 blocks against and 2-5 FT. :(

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Maybe some of the BY ledge dwellers will be able to step back a bit... ;)

Seriously though, nice win, good to see some of the new additions getting acclimated. Hopefully Stewie, Jewell, Sue, and EDD get there soon.

Side note - any reason why Natasha Howard was not added to the pool? She had a terrific year. Same for DeWanna Bonner... Just curious...

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Maybe some of the BY ledge dwellers will be able to step back a bit... ;)

Seriously though, nice win, good to see some of the new additions getting acclimated. Hopefully Stewie, Jewell, Sue, and EDD get there soon.

Side note - any reason why Natasha Howard was not added to the pool? She had a terrific year. Same for DeWanna Bonner... Just curious...
Ledge dwellers!!! ;););):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Looks like Collier had a nice game. 15 minutes, 9 pts, 4 reb, 2 assists, a blocked shot, steal, no turnovers. And a plus 12.

She's making a very good case for keeping her on the team.

What if it comes down to Tuck (who also had a very nice game and was named a starter) vs Collier for a spot?

Reaction Score
What if it comes down to Tuck (who also had a very nice game and was named a starter) vs Collier for a spot?
That’s a tough call. Pheesa has the advantage in ability, defense & finishing. Tuck better outside shooter (from what we’ve seen at least) & more is experienced. Potential & upside obviously favors Collier so why not let her be that last player on the team just to gain experience & learn. Bridge the gap to the next wave of young players.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If I knew Weisner was playing for the Canadian National Team, I forgot. That's 2 former Oregon St. players, Hamblin as well. Pac 12 is well represented, Fields was UCLA and Ploufe played for Utah.

Reaction Score
Including four athletes who have not yet joined the USA in Europe due to competing in the WNBA Finals, the USA roster currently stands at 16 athletes, including Kelsey Mitchell, who returned home from Washington, D.C., on Sept. 13 due to a death in the family. The official, 12-member roster will be announced prior to Sept. 22.

USA Downs Canada 84-68 in Exhibition

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Brittney Griner (Phoenix Mercury)

We knew that they were going to get after us, knew that they were going to play real hard. I think we did really well – having everybody here now, me and Dee (Diana) getting into it, getting through the offense. We made real big stops and advanced the lead really well in the second and third (quarters). We just got done a couple thing that we needed to do, and we know what we need to work on in the next game.

Uh. BG, aren't you forgetting a couple of players who have not joined yet and coincidentally allowed you to join the team early? ;)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Over the last 4 WBB championships, Olympics and FIBA World Cup, didn't the teams always have one college player? If that is correct that would make Phees an automatic choice. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Over the last 4 WBB championships, Olympics and FIBA World Cup, didn't the teams always have one college player? If that is correct that would make Phees an automatic choice. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong.
For the World Cup:

2006--Parker

2010--Maya

2014--Stewie

2018--?

Yes, if USAB wants a college player, Pheesa is the only one left.

I think one of the slots comes down to Pheesa or Morgan. Tuck is more experienced and stronger. Pheesa is quicker and longer, despite being shorter. Either is a good choice. I don't think both make it, unless someone (EDD, for example) drops out.

Reaction Score
For the World Cup:

2006--Parker

2010--Maya

2014--Stewie

2018--?

I think one of the slots comes down to Pheesa or Morgan. Tuck is more experienced and stronger. Pheesa is quicker and longer, despite being shorter. Either is a good choice. I don't think both make it, unless someone (EDD, for example) drops out.
Those 3 players were on a different level then Collier, all 3 have gone on to dominate at the next level. Parker, Maya, and Stewie were superstars, who led their teams to National Championships.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For the World Cup:

2006--Parker

2010--Maya

2014--Stewie

2018--?

@MSGRET was asking if the team reserves a place by tradition or otherwise for 1 college player, but as your info indicates it seems that only the transcendent make it and Pheesa ain't in that league (YET). I'm selfish and want her home at Storrs integrating with the newbies, etc, though.... If it is between Phee and Tuck, I wonder if Tuck's knee is an issue. Ashamed to say I haven't followed her year or her overseas plans, but she is one of those who would do well to take a breather now and again.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'll agree that Pheesa doesn't appear to be at the Parker/Maya/Stewie level, but the NPOY candidates Brown, McCowan, Ionescu, and Samuelson are at home, while Napheesa is in Antibes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
@MSGRET was asking if the team reserves a place by tradition or otherwise for 1 college player, but as your info indicates it seems that only the transcendent make it and Pheesa ain't in that league (YET). I'm selfish and want her home at Storrs integrating with the newbies, etc, though.... If it is between Phee and Tuck, I wonder if Tuck's knee is an issue. Ashamed to say I haven't followed her year or her overseas plans, but she is one of those who would do well to take a breather now and again.
It's not clear whether the "college slot," if there is such an thing, is reserved for a transcendent player or just for the best collegian available.

I saw Tuck from 15' away in D.C. on Monday. She's playing without a brace and moving smoothly. She doesn't start for Connecticut, but they are loaded with Jones, Chiney, and Thomas.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Obviously you’re talking about 3/4 top players ever when you talk about Maya, stewie & Parker. That being said, Napheesa still isn’t done in college. She might do something in terms of numbers that has never been done at Uconn. She may not be flashy but she’s certainly productive. She is obviously the best choice among current college players. I value the committees choice over this boards. Haha no disrespect! Please don’t take this as me saying she is on their level but that doesn’t mean she isn’t deserving.
Pheesa scored over 20 ppg as a sophomore. Maya did that only as a senior. Stewie did that only as a pro. I agree--let's not sell Napheesa short.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom