Can you imagine will happen when UCONN actually does lose? Some perspective... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can you imagine will happen when UCONN actually does lose? Some perspective...

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
BroadwayVa, you stated that Uconn's defense failed. They allowed six points more than they did in the first game against Tulane and no one said their defense failed then. However, they scored 100 points and that made a difference. Any time one team holds another team to sixty points that should not be considered as a defensive fail.

Reaction Score
I think most people (with a brain) realize we're going to lose at some point and time. If UConn plays like this again, it will happen sooner than later. If and when it does happen, I just hope it's to a good team and one where they actually beat us at our best and not our worst. Losing to the likes of Tulane or anyone in the AAC, regardless of how well they play against us would be a bitter pill to swallow.

No attack just my take on the situation. ;) Quite an assessment from one calling them self Humble :) . As one that thinks in your context I have a brain and an opinion just like many here. With that I would think if the ladies were to lose a game this year that would have been the one at the most opportune time.
For one it would have brought more attention to the conference. This which anybody watching is playing the game more like UConn and again a compliment to the brand. That and every reason for a loss was at hand, well documented in posts all over the place on this forum.

I simply would have gotten over this in a heart beat knowing the burden of the win streak is off their backs, and a brighter light shining on the conference. The stated goal of the program is a NC year in and year out that is enough and then some to expect this / any year.
The bitter pill you would swallow would be forgotten in mere weeks. Should they make the final four and not win, ....that will be hard to digest...But still acceptable. :(

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
At first, I found it difficult to write, even think about last night.
Really, for the first time, the team looked human, vulnerable, surely beatable.

I was just tripping along; game to game, thinking that somehow, this undersized, undermanned, group of woman had morphed into the Dahomey Amazons

But no: vulnerabilities exist, even among the most stalwart, confidence can wane.
Fatigue, illness, injuries, foul problems can all take their toll

Geno and Co, have done a magnificent job of shepherding his small flock.
Morphing them into producing a most remarkable season
Alchemy of the first order.

Can he do it again? Can form (sic) be regained
If anyone can do it, it is he.
But I wonder.

Reaction Score
No attack just my take on the situation. ;) Quite an assessment from one calling them self Humble :) . As one that thinks in your context I have a brain and an opinion just like many here. With that I would think if the ladies were to lose a game this year that would have been the one at the most opportune time.
For one it would have brought more attention to the conference. This which anybody watching is playing the game more like UConn and again a compliment to the brand. That and every reason for a loss was at hand, well documented in posts all over the place on this forum.

First of all #@%&*!)$ , I don't call myself "Humble", I used the handle HumblePie. You can read right? If so, you should know that moniker doesn't necessary have anything to do with being humble. As for my "with a brain" comment, it has been taken differently than it was intended and it appears only oldude figured that out. I guess it would have been easier to understand had I made my remarks as a direct reply to ericsandiego's original post.

Reaction Score
As I posted in another thread, the wrong team didn't lose. No one cheated Tulane of the victory. UConn made enough plays at the end to win. Geno is the master motivator.

Reaction Score
I think too much is being made that we are exposed and that something new has been brought to light other than the obvious this team is not shooting the ball as well as it has earlier in the year. Now without Nurse it will become more pronounced. Plus we are small with a small bench.

Last year we heard the same things how UConn was 1st exposed on the perimeter when DePaul played us pretty well then when MD played us- it was "pound them inside." All of it was wrong.

IMO what is happening is- there is more fear from fans because we had two close games and played bad in one of them. Nurse will make it a lot of it better.

Reaction Score
Just making an observation with no criticism meant for anyone, but given some of the comments both before the game (UCONN may never lose while Geno is coach) and after (we were totally exposed, we aren't that good, refs sucked, blah blah), it's like split personality disorder... ;)

Guys - UCONN has won 101 games in a row. It spans 3 seasons going back to the loss at Stanford early in the 2014-2015 season. NO basketball team in the history of the sport (women, men, college, pro, etc etc) has EVER accomplished that. Can you imagine the pressure on the players? Getting to 100 was nothing short of miraculous. If you had polled UCONN fans at the start of the season, I think about 98% of the people would have predicted at least 2-3 losses this season including the NCAA's. Of course we WANT to win every game and the NC, but realistically almost no one thought we'd be 26-0 on Feb 19...

This team faced murderer's row, and the 3 closest games so far were vs. Maryland, Tulane, and FSU. Never mind the amazing streak - just look at the team this year. Never in my wildest dreams did I think we'd be undefeated with 3 games left in the regular season. This team has exceeded expectations by so much that it's easy sometimes to go bonkers when the squeak out a win over a team we just beat a few weeks back by 44.

These kids are human. Kia, one of our ROCKS, is out for at least a few weeks with an ankle injury. Lou especially, and Gabby have been wildly inconsistent the past 3 games. Crystal has been asked to step up and start. In tight games, we basically go 6 deep right now. And they played a very human game against an inspired team. All the weaknesses that Geno has been so masterful masking this season were on full display. And still we found a way to tough out a win.

I will readily admit I have discussed the streak with others. Most of us feel that if UCONN doesn't lose this year, the streak could extend to mind boggling limits. We would all love to see that. But I do guarantee that we will lose some day. It may be sooner rather than later, but let's try to give these kids a break and take a deep breath ourselves. If I never see a 195-0 thread again, I won't miss it one bit. But maybe leave the crazy expectations, hubris, and criticisms at the door and try to just ENJOY what we are experiencing! How blessed are we that we get to lose our minds for a second when it seems like we might lose 1 game in 100 tries... :p Just my $.02...

I absolutely totally agree. Thanks for putting into words....

Reaction Score
Better to have the streak ended by a conference member, for the sake of the conference. Winning out this year won't be easy.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
As I posted in another thread, the wrong team didn't lose. No one cheated Tulane of the victory. UConn made enough plays at the end to win. Geno is the master motivator.
Maybe it's things said in the heat of the moment. People (Geno) could have said "Tulane played well enough to win. We were fortunate not to lose" or something like that. Tulane didn't "deserve" to win any more than UCONN did. Both teams played hard. UCONN probably had a bit of an off day, and Tulane had a great day. If we made FT's down the stretch, it wouldn't have been that close. If we didn't lose focus when the lead got to 17 in the 2nd half, it could have been another normal AAC 40 point win. If Nurse weren't injured, we could have had a larger rotation.

Reaction Score
B
Remember how we felt at the beginning of the season? very, very nervous. Welcome back to the beginning of the season! Kinda nice, actually. Makes every win sweeter, every time UConn exceeds expectations in its play even more celebratory.

Bags, you've captured the situation. A thin, tired, hurting team has hit a proverbial wall, fan anxiety on the rise. How will Geno and the Huskies confront this real challenge? If the kids persevere, it will be beyond remarkable.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think the fans, including many on this board, had forgotten how thin the margin is for this year's team to have continued success. I like our chances, but it isn't a forgone conclusion and it isn't going to be easy.

Reaction Score
First of all #@%&*!)$ , I don't call myself "Humble", I used the handle HumblePie. You can read right? If so, you should know that moniker doesn't necessary have anything to do with being humble. As for my "with a brain" comment, it has been taken differently than it was intended and it appears only oldude figured that out. I guess it would have been easier to understand had I made my remarks as a direct reply to ericsandiego's original post.
One could call one who writes like you a fiery, condescending, foolish idiot but they would be wrong! You are simply a very tender personality whom has a hard time with any that do not have the same opinion as yourself. I did preface my comment that I was not attacking you, only in disagreement.
As for your avatar and you not calling yourself "Humble" I can not take the blame for the image you put forth. You can search them all and the image of most on this site portrays something of their personality or making a statement.
You went off on @UcMiami about proof reading, you might want to take your own advice on this one. ;) Again no attack just being helpful of a fellow fan.
Not sure of what the forth word means but it does say the one on the keyboard is frustrated or maybe in the need of medical help? Or in denial?
Ahh with a little research I found it! Rock on!
hit songs from humble pie - Yahoo Video Search Results

Reaction Score
If Uconn loses Geno will smirk and remind all he kept saying they weren't as good as everyone believed, make a few bleeping sarcastic remarks to his team, go home and enjoy a nice Pinot Grigio and have a restful sleep. Boneyarders will spend the evening posting apocalyptic messages and reviewing who predicted doomsday first by regurgitating past dire warnings of who said what first.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
UConn will lose before the season is over... a close game by Tulane and we appear to be shocked when we already labeled this a "rebuilding" season

upload_2017-2-21_6-44-16.png

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Just making an observation with no criticism meant for anyone, but given some of the comments both before the game (UCONN may never lose while Geno is coach) and after (we were totally exposed, we aren't that good, refs sucked, blah blah), it's like split personality disorder... ;)

Guys - UCONN has won 101 games in a row. It spans 3 seasons going back to the loss at Stanford early in the 2014-2015 season. NO basketball team in the history of the sport (women, men, college, pro, etc etc) has EVER accomplished that. Can you imagine the pressure on the players? Getting to 100 was nothing short of miraculous. If you had polled UCONN fans at the start of the season, I think about 98% of the people would have predicted at least 2-3 losses this season including the NCAA's. Of course we WANT to win every game and the NC, but realistically almost no one thought we'd be 26-0 on Feb 19...

This team faced murderer's row, and the 3 closest games so far were vs. Maryland, Tulane, and FSU. Never mind the amazing streak - just look at the team this year. Never in my wildest dreams did I think we'd be undefeated with 3 games left in the regular season. This team has exceeded expectations by so much that it's easy sometimes to go bonkers when the squeak out a win over a team we just beat a few weeks back by 44.

These kids are human. Kia, one of our ROCKS, is out for at least a few weeks with an ankle injury. Lou especially, and Gabby have been wildly inconsistent the past 3 games. Crystal has been asked to step up and start. In tight games, we basically go 6 deep right now. And they played a very human game against an inspired team. All the weaknesses that Geno has been so masterful masking this season were on full display. And still we found a way to tough out a win.

I will readily admit I have discussed the streak with others. Most of us feel that if UCONN doesn't lose this year, the streak could extend to mind boggling limits. We would all love to see that. But I do guarantee that we will lose some day. It may be sooner rather than later, but let's try to give these kids a break and take a deep breath ourselves. If I never see a 195-0 thread again, I won't miss it one bit. But maybe leave the crazy expectations, hubris, and criticisms at the door and try to just ENJOY what we are experiencing! How blessed are we that we get to lose our minds for a second when it seems like we might lose 1 game in 100 tries... :p Just my $.02...
Actually the women of Wayland Baptist University won 131 consecutive games from 1953-58, so there is a team in the history of the sport that HAS accomplished that.....

Reaction Score

Just a point of order; Gabby was not inconsistent against South Carolina, which was two games ago. She won the game for us.

Reaction Score
UConn will lose before the season is over... a close game by Tulane and we appear to be shocked when we already labeled this a "rebuilding" season

View attachment 19980
And speaking of losses; South Carolina was beaten by unranked Missouri. So, it happens. I would rather the loss come against Tulane, who could use a boost to elevate their fine women's BB program, as opposed to one of the " giants " ( ND, Baylor, South Carolina, Maryland), who live, eat, sleep and breathe to defeat UCONN.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just a point of order; Gabby was not inconsistent against South Carolina, which was two games ago. She won the game for us.
Another "point of order", since she is averaging 12.9 and 8.8, coming up with a 26/14 performance was inconsistent. ;)

HGN

Reaction Score
I think when the Huskies lose all they're going to do is : Start A New Streak. They will have the weapons next year to do just that.

Odds are for every game this current streak is extended the closer we get to a loss. So , we are going to lose.
But I also believe they will again go on another streak that will realistically get to 35--40 games.

Reaction Score

My mind is already boggled.

Reaction Score
I think when the Huskies lose all they're going to do is : Start A New Streak. They will have the weapons next year to do just that.

Odds are for every game this current streak is extended the closer we get to a loss. So , we are going to lose.
But I also believe they will again go on another streak that will realistically get to 35--40 games.
How does the outcome of the previous game affect the next one? If you flip a coin 10 times and get 10 tails, what's the probability that the next flip will be tails?

HGN

Reaction Score
How does the outcome of the previous game affect the next one? If you flip a coin 10 times and get 10 tails, what's the probability that the next flip will be tails?
50-50.........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom