Can you imagine will happen when UCONN actually does lose? Some perspective... | The Boneyard

Can you imagine will happen when UCONN actually does lose? Some perspective...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just making an observation with no criticism meant for anyone, but given some of the comments both before the game (UCONN may never lose while Geno is coach) and after (we were totally exposed, we aren't that good, refs sucked, blah blah), it's like split personality disorder... ;)

Guys - UCONN has won 101 games in a row. It spans 3 seasons going back to the loss at Stanford early in the 2014-2015 season. NO basketball team in the history of the sport (women, men, college, pro, etc etc) has EVER accomplished that. Can you imagine the pressure on the players? Getting to 100 was nothing short of miraculous. If you had polled UCONN fans at the start of the season, I think about 98% of the people would have predicted at least 2-3 losses this season including the NCAA's. Of course we WANT to win every game and the NC, but realistically almost no one thought we'd be 26-0 on Feb 19...

This team faced murderer's row, and the 3 closest games so far were vs. Maryland, Tulane, and FSU. Never mind the amazing streak - just look at the team this year. Never in my wildest dreams did I think we'd be undefeated with 3 games left in the regular season. This team has exceeded expectations by so much that it's easy sometimes to go bonkers when the squeak out a win over a team we just beat a few weeks back by 44.

These kids are human. Kia, one of our ROCKS, is out for at least a few weeks with an ankle injury. Lou especially, and Gabby have been wildly inconsistent the past 3 games. Crystal has been asked to step up and start. In tight games, we basically go 6 deep right now. And they played a very human game against an inspired team. All the weaknesses that Geno has been so masterful masking this season were on full display. And still we found a way to tough out a win.

I will readily admit I have discussed the streak with others. Most of us feel that if UCONN doesn't lose this year, the streak could extend to mind boggling limits. We would all love to see that. But I do guarantee that we will lose some day. It may be sooner rather than later, but let's try to give these kids a break and take a deep breath ourselves. If I never see a 195-0 thread again, I won't miss it one bit. But maybe leave the crazy expectations, hubris, and criticisms at the door and try to just ENJOY what we are experiencing! How blessed are we that we get to lose our minds for a second when it seems like we might lose 1 game in 100 tries... :p Just my $.02...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
And Temple is playing very well this afternoon...hmm.

And I must note....that LaChina and whomever chat, chat, chat about this and that
and only occasionally notice the game around them.

Reaction Score
I think most people (with a brain) realize we're going to lose at some point and time. If UConn plays like this again, it will happen sooner than later. If and when it does happen, I just hope it's to a good team and one where they actually beat us at our best and not our worst. Losing to the likes of Tulane or anyone in the AAC, regardless of how well they play against us would be a bitter pill to swallow.

Reaction Score
Excellent points Eric. This team is pretty much the same shorthanded, vulnerable team I saw at Florida St. to start the season. IMO, these kids have over-achieved by a lot compared to what I thought they were capable of. Seems funny to say about an undefeated team, but I'd like to see them come off the ropes and finish this season off the way I know they'd like to.

Reaction Score
Remember how we felt at the beginning of the season? very, very nervous. Welcome back to the beginning of the season! Kinda nice, actually. Makes every win sweeter, every time UConn exceeds expectations in its play even more celebratory.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Eric - great OP and echoing my own feelings, We had a thread about when the streak would end and I said game by game, When St. John's broke a couple of streaks at Gampel it was SHOCKING, when Stanford beat us the last time it was SHOCKING, when Villanova beat us to end 70 it was SHOCKING. When this team loses it is going to be shocking even if it is to Baylor in the FF. It has been 2.5 years since the last loss, we fans will need some serious counseling help!!!

HumblePie - I disagree completely, I would have been really upset about losing to SC or really to any of the 'challengers' but losing to Tulane or Temple or USF - that would have a silver lining of adding strength to one of our conference mates. I would much rather have SC and ND, and Baylor, and MD, and ____ obsessing and wondering when they will finally getting a win over UConn. For ND and Baylor it has been four years, for SC and ND I believe it has never happened. That idea festers somewhere at the back of the minds of players, and especially coaches and it has a tendency to mess with their game. I want that to continue for as long as possible! :cool:

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
When it happens, Baldwin will be Geno on Saturday Night Live!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
It's going to happen and may happen with Temple or USF. I would rather a loss now instead of the NCAA's.

When it happens, the sky will fall for some. Some will celebrate the slaying of the beast! Either way it will be the big headline.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Eric - great OP and echoing my own feelings, We had a thread about when the streak would end and I said game by game, When St. John's broke a couple of streaks at Gampel it was SHOCKING, when Stanford beat us the last time it was SHOCKING, when Villanova beat us to end 70 it was SHOCKING. When this team loses it is going to be shocking even if it is to Baylor in the FF. It has been 2.5 years since the last loss, we fans will need some serious counseling help!!!

HumblePie - I disagree completely, I would have been really upset about losing to SC or really to any of the 'challengers' but losing to Tulane or Temple or USF - that would have a silver lining of adding strength to one of our conference mates. I would much rather have SC and ND, and Baylor, and MD, and ____ obsessing and wondering when they will finally getting a win over UConn. For ND and Baylor it has been four years, for SC and ND I believe it has never happened. That idea festers somewhere at the back of the minds of players, and especially coaches and it has a tendency to mess with their game. I want that to continue for as long as possible! :cool:
Agree with everything you said. I want to add to your comment about the American - honestly, I don't see us moving any time soon (ie. the next 3-4 years) unless several spots open up in the ACC. There has been some chatter about UCONN moving back to the Big East, but honestly, from a WCBB perspective, I think the American has more upside. It's forcing teams to play UCONN, often twice, and sometimes 3x, in a season. Almost all these teams get better the 2nd time they play UCONN. This means the teams/coaches are learning/improving by playing UCONN.

In the past 2 years, the American (besides UCONN) has recruited 5 kids in the top 100 - USF (32,95), Houston (92, 94), UCF (81) and Temple (94). Not saying the American is challenging for a top 6 conference, but at least they are trending in the right direction...

Reaction Score
Agree with everything you said. I want to add to your comment about the American - honestly, I don't see us moving any time soon (ie. the next 3-4 years) unless several spots open up in the ACC. There has been some chatter about UCONN moving back to the Big East, but honestly, from a WCBB perspective, I think the American has more upside. It's forcing teams to play UCONN, often twice, and sometimes 3x, in a season. Almost all these teams get better the 2nd time they play UCONN. This means the teams/coaches are learning/improving by playing UCONN.

In the past 2 years, the American (besides UCONN) has recruited 5 kids in the top 100 - USF (32,95), Houston (92, 94), UCF (81) and Temple (94). Not saying the American is challenging for a top 6 conference, but at least they are trending in the right direction...
I think we must be the top conference. We haven't had a loss in years to another one.

Reaction Score

I especially care less if you agree with me or not. By the way, you should proofread your material before posting, as it would be impossible for the following to be correct:

"I would much rather have SC and ND, and Baylor, and MD, and ____ obsessing and wondering when they will finally getting a win over UConn. For ND and Baylor it has been four years, for SC and ND I believe it has never happened."

...It's forcing teams to play UCONN, often twice, and sometimes 3x, in a season. Almost all these teams get better the 2nd time they play UCONN. This means the teams/coaches are learning/improving by playing UCONN.

It doesn't necessarily mean that at all. Quite the contrary, once you've handily beaten a team it's a natural instinct to know you can and as a result slack off.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think it is important to distinguish between an opponent's victory over UConn and a UConn loss.

If a team like Baylor defeats UCONN with superior height, talent, or depth (as you would think they should be able to do), that is one thing. If UCONN plays well below its potential and loses like it almost did to Tulane, that is another thing entirely.

Geno said that the wrong team won on Saturday. He also said that Tulane lost the game at the end, as opposed to UConn winning it at the end.

Both statements may be slight exaggerations, but they are basically true.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
And Temple is playing very well this afternoon...hmm.

And I must note....that LaChina and whomever chat, chat, chat about this and that
and only occasionally notice the game around them.

I assume you were watching the Duke-Miami game on RSN. LaChina was in Durham .... and she and Tom Werme did a pretty good job. Perhaps it was LaChina's twin sister doing the Temple game ??????? They do sound alike.

Reaction Score
Just making an observation with no criticism meant for anyone, but given some of the comments both before the game (UCONN may never lose while Geno is coach) and after (we were totally exposed, we aren't that good, refs sucked, blah blah), it's like split personality disorder... ;)

Guys - UCONN has won 101 games in a row. It spans 3 seasons going back to the loss at Stanford early in the 2014-2015 season. NO basketball team in the history of the sport (women, men, college, pro, etc etc) has EVER accomplished that. Can you imagine the pressure on the players? Getting to 100 was nothing short of miraculous. If you had polled UCONN fans at the start of the season, I think about 98% of the people would have predicted at least 2-3 losses this season including the NCAA's. Of course we WANT to win every game and the NC, but realistically almost no one thought we'd be 26-0 on Feb 19...

This team faced murderer's row, and the 3 closest games so far were vs. Maryland, Tulane, and FSU. Never mind the amazing streak - just look at the team this year. Never in my wildest dreams did I think we'd be undefeated with 3 games left in the regular season. This team has exceeded expectations by so much that it's easy sometimes to go bonkers when the squeak out a win over a team we just beat a few weeks back by 44.

These kids are human. Kia, one of our ROCKS, is out for at least a few weeks with an ankle injury. Lou especially, and Gabby have been wildly inconsistent the past 3 games. Crystal has been asked to step up and start. In tight games, we basically go 6 deep right now. And they played a very human game against an inspired team. All the weaknesses that Geno has been so masterful masking this season were on full display. And still we found a way to tough out a win.

I will readily admit I have discussed the streak with others. Most of us feel that if UCONN doesn't lose this year, the streak could extend to mind boggling limits. We would all love to see that. But I do guarantee that we will lose some day. It may be sooner rather than later, but let's try to give these kids a break and take a deep breath ourselves. If I never see a 195-0 thread again, I won't miss it one bit. But maybe leave the crazy expectations, hubris, and criticisms at the door and try to just ENJOY what we are experiencing! How blessed are we that we get to lose our minds for a second when it seems like we might lose 1 game in 100 tries... :p Just my $.02...
While I am aware that dis agreement with you is at my own peril--I first must say i agree with much of what you write above.
Just of clarity: is discussing the inability of any one or everyone on this team to score their normal averages criticism ? Is looking at this 3 point escape from losing as something that could actually happen again--criticism?
Is knowing Danger, at this point in her career, not really ready to take the helm of this Uconn team--criticism?
That Kia is really missed --is that?
As you and Geno, over and over, have let us know that Uconn as all teams shall lose some time.

To deviate from the criticism --issue: The sky isn't falling--maybe. As has been point out --multiple times herein--and we all knew that the CORE players were needed with Saniya working at top levels--for them to make it all the way to the NC. We knew that fouls or illness or injuries could easily end this year --before the NC. Those to me are all facts. Are we at some kind of fault to understand this paragraph and wonder on the Boneyard? Am I less of a positive fan to think --unless KLS begins hitting 3s at a 20 plus points per game rate, AnD Napheesa doesn't stay out of 4 fouls in the 3rd quarter, AND Kia hurt is more serious than we thought--without significant help from the bench, which few expect, Uconn's chances to the NC are drastically reduce///????

Reaction Score
I think most posters in the BY acknowledge that the team is not deep and that if any one or more of the following occurs a loss would not be a shock: (i) an injury to a starter, (ii) foul trouble and (iii) a starter having a bad night. All three of those things happened last night. Kia was out; Pheesa was in foul trouble and (iii) Lou and Saniya had less than stellar nights. Bottom line is if that combo occurs in March, I can certainly imagine what will happen

Reaction Score
Remember how we felt at the beginning of the season? very, very nervous. Welcome back to the beginning of the season! Kinda nice, actually. Makes every win sweeter, every time UConn exceeds expectations in its play even more celebratory.
Sanity in an insane world. The weakness of this team was known since Nov. Geno was able to mask many problems as long as : no injuries, health problems, foul trouble all played at a very high level--that is all 5 plus Natalie played beyond their expect potential. Tulane --hit this team at the right time, with a very good game plan and execution--that's real life. No more Reality Show. What is to be expected---nothing has changed.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I assume you were watching the Duke-Miami game on RSN. LaChina was in Durham .... and she and Tom Werme did a pretty good job. Perhaps it was LaChina's twin sister doing the Temple game ??????? They do sound alike.

Thanks Triad...sorry about my mis-guided attribution
Great win by the way
As I've noted earlier; happy for the change of direction in the program.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It doesn't necessarily mean that at all. Quite the contrary, once you've handily beaten a team it's a natural instinct to know you can and as a result slack off.
Um... Ok... Because we all know Geno coached UCONN teams slack off if they've already beaten someone...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think it is important to distinguish between an opponent's victory over UConn and a UConn loss.

If a team like Baylor defeats UCONN with superior height, talent, or depth (as you would think they should be able to do), that is one thing. If UCONN plays well below its potential and loses like it almost did to Tulane, that is another thing entirely.

Geno said that the wrong team won on Saturday. He also said that Tulane lost the game at the end, as opposed to UConn winning it at the end.

Both statements may be slight exaggerations, but they are basically true.

Superiority of a team does not always have to be because of their talent and size--Geno has proven that with small teams many times---it does happen (tulane) with desire, great game plan bought into by the team, practiced and executed to near perfection. Don't fault --praise the effort and coaching of Tulane. Now with our belief and drinking Geno wine (i don't like kool aid) you must know Geno will do everything he can possible do to make sure this does not happen within the next 5 games. After that it's up to the gods of BB.

I have a different view of Baylor beating Uconn and Uconn being beaten by Tulane---both are losses in the L column. But neither happened.
The Tulane game---was a culmination of circumstances and the arrival of every one of Geno's black thoughts arriving at the same time. Katie started off as she has the past 3 games --then picked up--Napheesa, while ultimately scoring 26 early on had troubles due to a great game plan and self inflected fouls, well executed and good scoring Tulane kids scoring beyond their brains--Uconns high flaunted Defense failed--by good scouting of Tulane--Uconn's offense failed by good defense (terrible to watch) by Tulane--as Uconn found it harder and harder to score--they fell into the trap all like teams do--they tried harder and played faster and failed.
I too say Uconn didn't win this game--not because they didn't win--they did--they wrenched this game away from the hot breath and grip of Tulane--it became a game for Tulane to lose--they did. \
As a Uconn fan --a win is a win--and for me the right team won.

Reaction Score

No slight to anyone who feels like this but my nervousness ended with the Florida State game. Our ladies have over achieved this year playing with house money. I expected 2 - 3 losses at the beginning of the year. So a loss is a loss. Now that we've witnessed a triple digit winning streak, I have absolutely no reason to be nervous:).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom