OT: - Can you do what the pros do? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Can you do what the pros do?

Which do you think you'd be able to do? (If any)

• Make a legal tackle on an nfl running back

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shoot +10 or less in a major golf tourney

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
At 22, maybe score in a D1 game (you didn't say high major). I scored a few buckets in games against teams that had multiple D1 players and at summer camps etc., and was a decent shooter even though I was slower than molasses.

Now, at 47? Not a chance.

And return a serve from a pro tennis player? Unless you were good enough to play in college you're kidding yourself.

I suppose a younger guy who was an upper level high school hitter could maybe get a hit against a big league pitcher with enough chances. They'd probably go 1-30 or something.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Are we talking a 1-on-1 open field tackle against and NFL RB? I’m not sure anyone on this board would even graze Jersey in that scenario. MAYBE if you were a weakside defender and cleaned it up after he was stopped at the line.
Even if three guys stood him up for me to take my shot, I'd still break my clavicle.
I was thinking this as well. First, I would need the guy to basically run into me trying to elude other players and second, if that did happen, it would not end well for me regardless of whether or not I got the tackle.

Now you are getting in to the nuance between making a tackle and being credited with a tackle in the box score. And I'm confident where all of us would end up being categorized between the two acts.

Reaction Score
Are we talking a 1-on-1 open field tackle against and NFL RB? I’m not sure anyone on this board would even graze Jersey in that scenario. MAYBE if you were a weakside defender and cleaned it up after he was stopped at the line.

Even then I think you'd be overestimating your own strength/athleticism unless you're a 20-something in great shape and/or a former high level athlete. Most middle aged dudes would blow out their hamstring and then get stiff armed into Bolivian if they could even get within 3 feet of a running back. We randomly stayed at the same hotel as the Cal football team a few weeks ago and their running back, Jaydn Ott, was on our floor. I'm laughing at the idea of trying to tackle this dude in any situation other than one where someone already has his legs wrapped up and I just have to fall on top of him, let alone someone like Derrick Henry.

The only one that seems remotely conceivable is the hoop thing, which would be a hell of a lot more attainable if it was any points because after one lucky three you're probably getting locked up. I just think about how overmatched Andrew Hurley looks when he's in against starters and then reduce the athleticism by about 70%.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Back in the day, my wife was a decent tennis player and whenever she wanted to score a point, she would just hit right to me essentially jamming me up. Now, the easy thing to do would be for me to take a step back, but she knew that if a ball was coming towards me quickly, my mind was wired too stay in the box and try to foul it off.
Footwork and anticipation is everything in tennis. I played a ton in my 20s and while I had a piss poor volley game, I could spin a 95mph serve in the box quite often (at least that's what the speed tracker machine at the US Open said), giving me a chance to score points against much better players. But the end of my interest in tennis was in my mid-30s when I played this chunky girl I worked with. I thought I was doing her a favor agreeing to play as there was nothing the least bit athletic looking about her. But I could not get a shot past her. It was like she knew where every ball was going before I hit it. And it was extremely humiliating. Lost in straight sets, even dropping one set 6-0. Basically quit after that.

Reaction Score
Even then I think you'd be overestimating your own strength/athleticism unless you're a 20-something in great shape and/or a former high level athlete. Most middle aged dudes would blow out their hamstring and then get stiff armed into Bolivian if they could even get within 3 feet of a running back. We randomly stayed at the same hotel as the Cal football team a few weeks ago and their running back, Jaydn Ott, was on our floor. I'm laughing at the idea of trying to tackle this dude in any situation other than one where someone already has his legs wrapped up and I just have to fall on top of him, let alone someone like Derrick Henry.

The only one that seems remotely conceivable is the hoop thing, which would be a hell of a lot more attainable if it was any points because after one lucky three you're probably getting locked up. I just think about how overmatched Andrew Hurley looks when he's in against starters and then reduce the athleticism by about 70%.
I miss this show. It did a good job of putting into perspective how freaky the very top athletes are...

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I could kick an extra point in a college football game.

I could make a two foot putt with a major golf tournament on the line.

I could hit an open three pointer in a low end division one basketball game.

And I'm quite old.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom