Can we talk BBQ grills? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Can we talk BBQ grills?

Reaction Score
Friend brought a vertical pellet smoker and his meats look perfect.

Time to step up my game! Looking at pellet grills or nice smoker. Would like one that controls temps and does long hour smoking of meats. Been eyeing the pit boss models but I have to believe there are many competitors out there.

Be nice for a quick hit meal as well. Only 2 of us but I'm ready to move on from the elementary charcoal Weber.

Easy assembly or pre assembled would be nice as well.

What are you guys cooking on?

Reaction Score
I have a pit boss pellet smoker that is great, but there is a huge negative with it.
Make sure that you run out all of the pellets in the hopper and auger because the humidity will cause expansion and the auger will seize up. The only way to fix it is to take the mechanism apart and clean it out. Thankfully I only made that mistake once.
I love the Pitt Boss pro series smokers, the under the grate damper is a nice feature. I believe they also make a large unit with two separate chambers, one for smoking and one with gas burners for a gas grill setup.

Reaction Score
I got this bad boy, cheaper than the green egg, but same function, materials, etc.. Expected delivery this week.

Vision Grill

Vision has been around for a while. They have some serious build quality issues and no real customer service mechanism to deal with them, but if you get a good one it's a reasonable substitute.

I had to laugh at that guy majorly undercooking the brisket and saying it's not as tender as he wanted. That was the worst paid promotion I've seen in a while.

Reaction Score
Vision has been around for a while. They have some serious build quality issues and no real customer service mechanism to deal with them, but if you get a good one it's a reasonable substitute.

I had to laugh at that guy majorly undercooking the brisket and saying it's not as tender as he wanted. That was the worst paid promotion I've seen in a while.
Yeah I got the most recent model, mainly due to hearing stories about the quality of prior grills. Its my understanding that changes/upgrades have been made to their grills.

I just hope on this journey the griller is more important than the grill, or can compensate for any issues with any grill.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So we’re moving into a house with natural gas line to the outside and it was kind of a selling point when we thought we would be getting the natural gas 5 burner summit that was hooked up to it (this is my in-laws house). I ordered the conversion kit for my Weber Spirit but I’m feeling like going Kamado.

Reaction Score
Am looking at Yoder pellet smoker, the YS480s,but they are expensive at $1800. But, US built, seems to be really solidly built, has direct flame option (can cook hamburgs/steaks over direct flame like regular grill, and can smoke also). Probably will either be the Yoder or, if I want to save a little money, the Rec-Tec 700 pellet grill which is $1200.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I love the Pitt Boss pro series smokers, the under the grate damper is a nice feature. I believe they also make a large unit with two separate chambers, one for smoking and one with gas burners for a gas grill setup.
A friend bought the Pit Boss KC Combo on Saturday, and I imagine that I will be aiding in assembly and positioning when it isn't raining today or tomorrow.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
A friend bought the Pit Boss KC Combo on Saturday, and I imagine that I will be aiding in assembly and positioning when it isn't raining today or tomorrow.
Get yourself a good thermometer. can I recommend the thermoworks smoke x2? ( probe and surface) . Because the digital internal read outs and probes on the pit boss pros are out of whack. Your friend will need to adjust the “ P Setting “ too. And even after that learn what his “set” temp is compared to his actual temp. Pellet grills have a temp variance as auger feeds pellets based on its internal temp control . Pit boss more than most. My brother got same unit and I got him going good now, but that’s after saying “ dial to this to get THAT” . Otherwise it’s a fine unit. I like it. You just need to know “ true temp” and adjust accordingly.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Get yourself a good thermometer. can I recommend the thermoworks smoke x2? ( probe and surface) . Because the digital internal read outs and probes on the pit boss pros are out of whack. Your friend will need to adjust the “ P Setting “ too. And even after that learn what his “set” temp is compared to his actual temp. Pellet grills have a temp variance as auger feeds pellets based on its internal temp control . Pit boss more than most. My brother got same unit and I got him going good now, but that’s after saying “ dial to this to get THAT” . Otherwise it’s a fine unit. I like it. You just need to know “ true temp” and adjust accordingly.
An example temp on pit boss set to 200 on dial. Pit boss surface temp reading 300. Which in and of itself is terrible. Actual temp on my thermoworks reading 323. If you set a smoker for 200 -225 and it’s 123 degrees hotter you’re gonna waste some meat.

Attachments

• CAD8A606-815F-477B-9DAB-A7524C25347E.jpeg
    CAD8A606-815F-477B-9DAB-A7524C25347E.jpeg
    526 KB · Views: 140

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I second the Thermoworks Smoke. They have been putting them on sale lately too (although not at the moment it seems).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom