Can we talk a little bit about Diana the freshman vs KML? | The Boneyard

Can we talk a little bit about Diana the freshman vs KML?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
KML came in drawing a ton of Maya Moore comparisons. She invited it a bit herself by committing to UConn knowing she'd be coming in just as Maya was leaving, not to mention asking to wear #23. She also bears some physical resemblance to Maya, not really body type, but skin tone, some of her facial expressions, etc.

But what about the other high school #1 from Cali that came to UConn? I actually think they share at least as many similarities, superficial and otherwise. And I'm not saying KML is going to have Diana's career, but consider D's freshman campaign.

Here are D's stats as a frosh vs. KML's. Note that who you play with and against matters, and these numbers obviously don't exist in a vacuum. Nonetheless:

Games:
Both at 33 as of right now.

FG%
KML- 43.6%
Diana-44.4%

3FG%
KML- 39.4%
Diana- 38.6%

RPG
KML- 5.2
Diana- 3.2

Assists
KML- 1.79
Diana- 3.3

Diana- 10.9

So the argument could be made, at least quantitatively, that KML has had a better freshman season.

So let’s talk qualitatively. My memories of D the sophomore-senior cloud my memories of her as a freshman. I remember she fouled out in the BET final against ND and then had a really tough game in the national semis. Did she have any signature games against a top opponent like KML had against Stanford or the BET final? Watching her play, did you think she was going to be anything close to what she became? What do you think when you watch KML?

Qualitatively, here’s what I know about KML. She’s had her ups and downs, but when she’s up, there’s a feeling in the gym and on the team that reminds me just a bit of D the upperclassman. It’s a sense that UConn is going to be really, really tough to beat if she keeps hitting her shots. I didn’t live up here when D was in school, so I didn’t get to experience what the feeling was like in the building when she was having a good game.

Of course, KML has yet to write her freshman season’s final chapter. It could end in disappointment on a team and/or personal performance level (a la Diana), it could end with the greatest glory, or something in between. But while we wait for that chapter to be written, I’d love to hear some perspectives of Diana the freshman.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The game I remember most from Diana's freshman year was the Tenn game in Knoxville. Diana also fouled out of that game, a loss (92-88), but not before she put up 24 points, hitting 6-9 from beyond the arc. UConn lost more than the game that night; Sveta went down for the season. But Diana firmly established herself as a star. That would be Diana's only loss to Tenn in her UConn career.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I see much more of DT in Kaleena than Maya. Particularly lately the way she is getting physical in the lane... DT did that much more than Maya did.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The physicality in the lane is going to lead to monster games.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As Geno and Diana said, in terms of the comparison with Maya, they are different players. Dee is more of a facilitator, Maya is the ultimate finisher. I think KML is more of a finisher. She has the green light when she gets off the bus.

They are both Southern Californians, so they have a laid-back approach, with a certain sense of humor. They always smile. Their personalities are similar, but different from Maya's. KML and Dee can be wise guys.

Both want the ball in their hands in crucial situations.

KML is not as athletic as Maya (who is!), but maybe more than Dee was as a frosh. Both are very, very strong.

Dee had a tendency to get into foul trouble. I don't see that with Kaleena, not to the same degree.

Both have had a tendency to defer to the upperclassmen. Both are really good teammates.

It's to early to say with Kaleena, but Dee had some opponents that she lit up and others that she struggled with. I doubt that anyone played Tennessee better than her over a career. On the other hand, Dee did not play that well against Notre dame. It was well documented in the 2001 FF game, but it happened often. In contrast, Barb Turner was all-world whenever we played ND.

Reaction Score
Diana carried us in the NCAA as a freshman until the semis when she hit the wall.

Reaction Score
All 3 are great players with 2 of them (dah) being legends and the other will be IMO but It's hard to compare as they all play different positions. DT was a natural 2 that could play the 1 or 3, Maya was a natural 4 who could play some 3 and Kaleena is a natural 3 who can play some 2 or in some cases 4. Because of those differences in positions the amount of time each handled the ball was/is different. I do agree that Kaleena is more like DT than Maya.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Diana and KML are differently physically which impacts how they play and score. Both players are very strong, but Dee has longer arms and bigger hands than KML which allows her to handle the ball really well, take the ball to the rim off the dribble and make those tremendous passes. I think KML will be a very good passer, but won't make the spectacular passes that DT made and continues to make. I think KML will be able to score in the lane, but maybe more so off of offensive boards and post-ups than dribble penetration like Dee.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Diana and KML are differently physically which impacts how they play and score. Both players are very strong, but Dee has longer arms and bigger hands than KML which allows her to handle the ball really well, take the ball to the rim off the dribble and make those tremendous passes. I think KML will be a very good passer, but won't make the spectacular passes that DT made and continues to make. I think KML will be able to score in the lane, but maybe more so off of offensive boards and post-ups than dribble penetration like Dee.
When I look at KML, she looks no taller than Tiff or Kelly. I think she's 5'10-1/2" in bare feet. Whatever her height, the kid can play. Really, really play.

Reaction Score
The comparison I have made from the beginning before Kaleena put on a UConn uniform is something closer to Maya's on court temperamental with skills and physical ability much closer to Diana's. I think her freshman season confirmed that. Her shot mixes and most of what she physically accomplishes on the court is similar to Diana, but Kaleena's on court personality much more closely reflects Maya's tempered restraint. Kaleena like Maya will occasionally lose her mind with a bad pass, but the defining statistic for both players is probably their extremely low turnover rate. They play a controlled game, while still being able to seize the moment to make the great play.

Diana was nothing like that in terms of on court personality, particularly as a freshman. She had great plays balanced by wild mistakes. Diana more than Maya, and much more than Kaleena looked to make the great play. And what separates both Diana and Maya from Kaleena is what Cat talked about. Diana and Maya both possess and length and most of all huge huge hands on Kaleena that let them do things that Kaleena cannot. And both Diana and Maya were much more dynamic as passers. Diana's passing ability is well documented, but the full greatness of Maya's passing ability is probably not well understood because of the effortless way she passed the ball often did not draw attention back to her. Again a difference in temperament as previously discussed. Kaleena is a good passer and choosing to play at UConn will give her more of a chance to show that off than if she went elsewhere, but both Diana and Maya were on a different level as freshman.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Good point on hand size, Scotter. Dee and Maya have very large hands. Kalana has smaller hands. Kaleena, though, does have excellent hand-eye coordination, maybe even better than Dee or Maya.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Diana carried us in the NCAA as a freshman until the semis when she hit the wall.
?? Diana was a freshman on a team with the TASS class.

1st round - Sue led with 13 points
2nd round - Swin with 18 & 11, Sue and Asjha had 16
Sweet 16 - Diana had 24, Sue had 16
Elite 8 - Tamika led with 18, Diana with 17
Final Four - Sue with 18, Schuie with 12

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Dee may have carried us (probably too strongly worded) in the BET, but clearly not in the NCAAs.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Good point on hand size, Scotter. Dee and Maya have very large hands. Kalana has smaller hands. Kaleena, though, does have excellent hand-eye coordination, maybe even better than Dee or Maya.
And she has a sense of the moment that is unusual for a freshman.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
When Diana was at UConn, THE rival was Tennessee and Diana lit them up time after time. That alone endeared her to UConn fans. Who could forget her knocking down 32 points in Knoxville while booed by a huge crowd every time she touched the ball; smacking the orange basket support; when asked after the game about the booing, she laughed, "I thought they were mooing." Then the OT game in Hartford with the 65-foot buzzer beater at halftime and the amazing trey to send the game into OT.

As her senior year wound down, she was close to Sales's most points record. Her teammates wanted her to have it and were prepared to go all out to assist her. She demurred, but allowed that she would like to earn recognition by making the most assists. Of course she did it.

Kaleena will make her own mark by following a different path than either Diana or Maya. To tie them, she needs to earn three NC rings. That's where the bar is set. I wish her well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kaleena will make her own mark by following a different path than either Diana or Maya. To tie them, she needs to earn three NC rings. That's where the bar is set. I wish her well.
Three would tie Diana and surpass Maya. Precocious freshmen try to do things their predecessors did not. Both Maya and Diana came up short in the national semi-finals as frosh. And Kaleena knows that. She'll need help, but look for her to play a major role in the NCAAs. She's still miffed about the regular season, as are her teammates.

Reaction Score

Didn't she win MOP in the regional (as well as the BET tournament)

I thought I read that before.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Both Maya and Diana had to deal with significant team injuries their freshman seasons. Those injuries allowed them to play more, but also hurt their teams' chances of winning.

UConn has, knock on wood, been at full strength basically all season (Heather missed a game or two after the injury the first half of Baylor, Caroline missed the Syracuse game and most of St John's), but the team at full strength is not as good as the 2001 or 2008 teams at full strength. However, the continuity is valuable.

It's going to take UConn playing with every bit as much intensity as they brought in the BET to win it all, and better three-point shooting. Kingston on will be a war.

And I'm terrified that we're relying so heavily on a freshman to do it. But I'm pleased that freshman is KML.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Maybe, but she didn't "carry the team".

Reaction Score

Diana Taurasi was, in fact, the MOP of the East Regional in 2001. But, as Nana stated, did not carry the team through that tournament.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
My sense is that KML is becoming the leader of this team.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And I'm terrified that we're relying so heavily on a freshman to do it. But I'm pleased that freshman is KML.
I'm not scared. Bria, whose three point shot is AWOL, has found other ways to make an impact and Stef has found her game face. I think Tiff has some physical problems which should improve with the layoff between the BEast and NCAA tourneys. I'm actually feeling rather encouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom