Can we Start Football too? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can we Start Football too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's 80 year olds hiding in their homes and we're worried about football.

C

Chief00

Massive problem for UConn as an independent. They have no schedule as most of their formerly listed opponents are playing in conference only games. This season is lost & Benedict would have to pull a Houdini act to even get a set of spring games on the docket. There is also the factor of UConn being the first team to pull the plug on the season for player safety. I don't think that the players are even considering rethinking the decision.
The players think the decision stinks.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

There's 80 year olds hiding in their homes and we're worried about football.
But does that mean everyone else needs to hide in their house? The average death age for Covid-19 is 80 for a reason.

C

Chief00

Just to be clear....you believe UConn shouldn't have cancelled the season and you think that being concerned with the virus is a "panic party"? You are going on record saying that the college football teams that are playing football will not regret playing and they won't have issues?
My daughter was a counselor at a summer camp all summer. Tons of kids. They got paid minimum wage and figured it out. No one got Covid-19 and if they had there’s a 99.99% chance they would be fine.

C

Chief00

You do realize that the long term impact of having covid and surviving is unknown? You are rather nonchalant with other people's health. Especially considering you are in Alabama where over 1000 students have tested positive for covid after only two weeks on campus. You have accidents

But yeah...trying to play a high contact sport makes total sense.

Alabama is moving forward, CT is falling behind. You have accidents on the interstate going to work, they clear them and you take alternate routes. Life goes on, you deal with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Alabama is moving forward, CT is falling behind. You have accidents on the interstate going to work, tgey clear them and you take alternate routes. Life goes on, you deal with it.
Alabama is moving forward with over 1200 positive cases on campus

Reaction Score
Massive problem for UConn as an independent. They have no schedule as most of their formerly listed opponents are playing in conference only games. This season is lost & Benedict would have to pull a Houdini act to even get a set of spring games on the docket. There is also the factor of UConn being the first team to pull the plug on the season for player safety. I don't think that the players are even considering rethinking the decision.
The players would play, they want to. Benedict could put together home & home games with Umass and Army for starters. A vaccine is coming around January anyway.

Reaction Score
Of course the decision stinks, but there really was no choice. Even if you think football can be played (and I think it can), who was UConn going to play? As of now, there would only have been 3 games on the original schedule, Army, Liberty, and Middle Tennessee. Maybe they could have scratched together a few more games, but no where near a satisfactory schedule.

We’ll see how the college football season goes, but the early signs point to a disruptive year.

Reaction Score
Maybe they could have scratched together a few more games.
The limited schedule options were discussed with the players, such as playing UMass and another team twice. The players concurred after much discussion that playing a full and more robust schedule next year was preferable to the mishmash that might be cobbled together this year, especially given the uncertainty at the time as to whether this year would actually move forward despite everyone's best efforts.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Out of 175,000 people total. The undergrad population, graduate population, support services, citizens of Tuscaloosa, etc.
They had more positive cases than the entirety of the country of Canada

Reaction Score
Out of 175,000 people total. The undergrad population, graduate population, support services, citizens of Tuscaloosa, etc.
Genuine question. Why would you post that when anyone can easily look up legitimate news sources in 30 seconds indicating this represents students, not any of the other population you are trying to jam in there to get this fictitious 175k number. We can all disagree on the impact, whether they should play football, etc., but what is the point of making up random numbers? I really am interested.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
The players would play, they want to. Benedict could put together home & home games with Umass and Army for starters. A vaccine is coming around January anyway.
I will trust the official statement by the players over anecdotal comments from posters on here. Of course there will be a few players who want to play, but the majority made the decision to not play.

UConn was going to struggle to cobble together a season and schedule. The risk wasn't worth it. Add in difficulty in testing (slow turnaround time, fake positive, etc) and unknown long term impacts of the virus, and it's easy to see playing football this fall isn't worth the risk.

Reaction Score
I'll make one additional point, and it has nothing to do with whether you're viewing this with red or blue glasses.

We couldn't afford to play football. With no revenue from attendance, and minimum TV revenue playing a revised schedule no one would care about, and an Athletic Department that is seriously in the red anyway, would someone who thinks we should be giving this a go explain where the money was going to come from not just from travel but the constant testing and quarantining that would have been required to make this work?

The SEC TV contracts allow Alabama to take that money and spend it on the extra costs of playing during the pandemic. Where do any of you who think we should be playing think the money was coming from for UConn to absorb all these extra costs with almost zero revenue? Were the players and their parents who want to be playing going to pay for it?

Reaction Score
The kids are practicing - are they not getting routinely tested? Who’s paying for that?

Reaction Score
You couldn't catch the As game because it was virused out by one positive player test. Good for Cubbies. My Yanks swept the Mets.
You are only making my case and it is kind of cringe worthy that you do not get that. Let me know when the season is "viriused out". Until then I will keep watching baseball and enjoy the fact adults were able to figure out how not to be derailed by Covid and positive tests within the sport. You keeping praying the season is cancelled.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The kids are practicing - are they not getting routinely tested? Who’s paying for that?
The school....but if we were gearing up to play games and travel and set up travel to account for social distancing we'd be look at a lot more testing costs than the current testing schedule we are doing now.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You are only making my case and it is kind of cringe worthy that you do not get that. Let me know when the season is "viriused out". Until then I will keep watching baseball and enjoy the fact adults were able to figure out how not to be derailed by Covid and positive tests within the sport. You keeping praying the season is cancelled.
Basketball is going to benefit from watching what is learned from large team sports played in Sept and October (ie college and pro football).

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Wrong. I’m just not a fool about sports. I made your case because a game had to be called off on one day notice? You have no clue. SUNY just closed its Oneonta campus to in person classes due to several positive tests.

Reaction Score
Wrong. I’m just not a fool about sports. I made your case because a game had to be called off on one day notice? You have no clue. SUNY just closed its Oneonta campus to in person classes due to several positive tests.
Yes, you did. One positive test, game was postponed, and will be made up and the season goes on. Just like the PGA tour, MLB figured out a plan to travel around hold games and tournaments without the world collapsing and the sport being cancelled. My bet is CFB does too.

Cool beans about SUNY, too bad it is irrelevant to the topic. If the CFB season or MLB is cancelled you can do a victory lap, until then keeping scouring the news for more fear.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yes, you did. One positive test, game was postponed, and will be made up and the season goes on. Just like the PGA tour, MLB figured out a plan to travel around hold games and tournaments without the world collapsing and the sport being cancelled. My bet is CFB does too.

Cool beans about SUNY, too bad it is irrelevant to the topic. If the CFB season or MLB is cancelled you can do a victory lap, until then keeping scouring the news for more fear.
You really think colleges can just reschedule? Andvthatbpeople are doing victory laps over cancellations? Idiot.

Reaction Score
You really think colleges can just reschedule? Andvthatbpeople are doing victory laps over cancellations? Idiot.
No, never could do a postponement in college, never, be too impossible. For your sake please do not look up the amount of games that have been rescheduled due to hurricanes or other storms in recent years, it would blow your mind that adults can figure out how to utilize a calendar and the millions of dollars they have to make things happen.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
No, never could do a postponement in college, never, be too impossible. For your sake please do not look up the amount of games that have been rescheduled due to hurricanes or other storms in recent years, it would blow your mind that adults can figure out how to utilize a calendar and the millions of dollars they have to make things happen.
And they all quarantine after the storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom