Can we Start Football too? | The Boneyard

Can we Start Football too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Massive problem for UConn as an independent. They have no schedule as most of their formerly listed opponents are playing in conference only games. This season is lost & Benedict would have to pull a Houdini act to even get a set of spring games on the docket. There is also the factor of UConn being the first team to pull the plug on the season for player safety. I don't think that the players are even considering rethinking the decision.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Will UConn have enough humility to reverse course? Looks like the B1G is melting under the pressure of reason and folks who’ve had enough with the panic party.

Just to be clear....you believe UConn shouldn't have cancelled the season and you think that being concerned with the virus is a "panic party"? You are going on record saying that the college football teams that are playing football will not regret playing and they won't have issues?

Reaction Score
Massive problem for UConn as an independent. They have no schedule as most of their formerly listed opponents are playing in conference only games. This season is lost & Benedict would have to pull a Houdini act to even get a set of spring games on the docket. There is also the factor of UConn being the first team to pull the plug on the season for player safety. I don't think that the players are even considering rethinking the decision.
^^^ this. The schedule was hosed by others. Not fixable.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear....you believe UConn shouldn't have cancelled the season and you think that being concerned with the virus is a "panic party"? You are going on record saying that the college football teams that are playing football will not regret playing and they won't have issues?

Do not know about Dogs but I for one will go on the record and say that the teams scheduled to play will not 'regret ' playing. Even if they have 'issues'. Only numerous hospitalized players with serious conditions would trigger regret, and that is not going to happen.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Do not know about Dogs but I for one will go on the record and say that the teams scheduled to play will not 'regret ' playing. Even if they have 'issues'. Only numerous hospitalized players with serious conditions would trigger regret, and that is not going to happen.

You do realize that the long term impact of having covid and surviving is unknown? You are rather nonchalant with other people's health. Especially considering you are in Alabama where over 1000 students have tested positive for covid after only two weeks on campus.

But yeah...trying to play a high contact sport makes total sense.

Reaction Score
You do realize that the long term impact of having covid and surviving is unknown? You are rather nonchalant with other people's health. Especially considering you are in Alabama where over 1000 students have tested positive for covid after only two weeks on campus.

But yeah...trying to play a high contact sport makes total sense.

I am not nonchalant about it just expressing an opinion that short of mass hospitalizations there will not be any regrets on the team's or staffs over having played.
As far as the positive tests are concerned in and of themselves I do not see them as a major concern. If hundreds of them turn out to have serious conditions I will gladly change my mind. As of yesterday none had been hospitalized. That may change but my guess is not many will have symptoms nevermind requiring hospitalized. Again we will see.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
But they better not go home to visit ma and pa and their ma and pa for four month. You can always play Fortnight if you can’t have football. Why is it so important to you? UConn just shut down a whole dorm. Schools like Alabama are having virus issues. Do you want to be in charge of travel plans for the program and have a game called with a day or two advanced notice? Pro baseball that involved travel from city to city is a good lesson in wishful thinking. It’s super easy to second guess caution, but if I’m an administrator responsible for health issues and if there is any doubt and medical people are recommending cancel, I’d be nuts not to cancel. And I’ve been a season ticket holder since the last two yesrs at the old stadium.

Reaction Score
But they better not go home to visit ma and pa and their ma and pa for four month. You can always play Fortnight if you can’t have football. Why is it so important to you? UConn just shut down a whole dorm. Schools like Alabama are having virus issues. Do you want to be in charge of travel plans for the program and have a game called with a day or two advanced notice? Pro baseball that involved travel from city to city is a good lesson in wishful thinking. It’s super easy to second guess caution, but if I’m an administrator responsible for health issues and if there is any doubt and medical people are recommending cancel, I’d be nuts not to cancel. And I’ve been a season ticket holder since the last two yesrs at the old stadium.

It is not ' so important', to me. I will not be in Bryant Denney for kickoff. But I will say it again, in my opinion neither the players or staffs of the schools planning to play will regret playing unless there are large numbers of serious cases. Which I believe unlikely.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It is not ' so important', to me. I will not be in Bryant Denney for kickoff. But I will say it again, in my opinion neither the players or staffs of the schools planning to play will regret playing unless there are large numbers of serious cases. Which I believe unlikely.
They aren’t getting the chance, so they will ever know. And who’s to say that’s a bad thing.

Reaction Score
UConn students: In addition to a Storrs’ dorm pre-arranged for students tested positive, any truth to a possible 2nd unplanned, separate dorm with a few hundred quarantined students?

Edit: To clarify, quarantined does NOT equal all tested positive.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am not nonchalant about it just expressing an opinion that short of mass hospitalizations there will not be any regrets on the team's or staffs over having played.
As far as the positive tests are concerned in and of themselves I do not see them as a major concern. If hundreds of them turn out to have serious conditions I will gladly change my mind. As of yesterday none had been hospitalized. That may change but my guess is not many will have symptoms nevermind requiring hospitalized. Again we will see.
People like @ShakyTheMohel do not believe and cannot fathom people having different opinions than his, but do not worry he will be the first to call someone ignorant.

Reaction Score
Guess I missed baseball shutting down, this Brewers game I am watching must be hallucination.

Also, if the players are tested regularly please tell me why they cannot go visit "ma and pa for four months"? You seem to be missing what the schools that are playing are doing and some basic facts about testing and important stuff like that.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Guess I missed baseball shutting down, this Brewers game I am watching must be hallucination.

Also, if the players are tested regularly please tell me why they cannot go visit "ma and pa for four months"? You seem to be missing what the schools that are playing are doing and some basic facts about testing and important stuff like that.
Guess you haven’t caught all the games that had to be cancelled last minute this year. Congrats to the Brewers for not having the problem. They aren’t all that far from St Louis where the Cards had to miss a bunch of games. . Guess your knowledge base is fairly narrow if you aren’t aware of that. We all love sports, but these are not normal times and I wouidn’t change places with people who have to make these health decisions for anything. Unfortunately one misstep potentially affects more than one person, and not limited to people the victim knows or hangs with.

Reaction Score
Guess you haven’t caught all the games that had to be cancelled last minute this year. Congrats to the Brewers for not having the problem. They aren’t all that far from St Louis where the Cards had to miss a bunch of games. . Guess your knowledge base is fairly narrow if you aren’t aware of that. We all love sports, but these are not normal times and I wouidn’t change places with people who have to make these health decisions for anything. Unfortunately one misstep potentially affects more than one person, and not limited to people the victim knows or hangs with.
Good job missing both points.

Baseball is still being played, despite teams getting infections, people are smart and figure things out. Not everyone is terrified to make tough decisions. They will finish the season and crown a champion.

If that point was missed, I guess I should not expect much of a response on the ma and pa question.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Good job missing both points.

Baseball is still being played, despite teams getting infections, people are smart and fi tgh yuh gure things out. Not everyone is terrified to make tough decisions. They will finish the season and crown a champion.

If that point was missed, I guess I should not expect much of a response on the ma and pa question.
You miss the point about travel arrangements and postponements. These are college kids and programs, not pro teams with slightly more flexibility.
So do mom pop get tested before the player comes home? Or is the visit home not allowed. If one player on either team tests positive the day before the game, is it enough for that one player to isolate and the game goes on? You make the call.

Reaction Score
You miss the point about travel arrangements and postponements. These are college kids and programs, not pro teams with slightly more flexibility.
So do mom pop get tested before the player comes home? Or is the visit home not allowed. If one player on either team tests positive the day before the game, is it enough for that one player to isolate and the game goes on? You make the call.
Baseball got it straightened out and I do not think any team was sidelined more than a week, postponements were an issue because they are playing every day not once a week.

If you are worried about the player bring it to ma and pa why are they getting tested prior to the visit? But if they want to sure, you know how easy it is to get a test? Call your doctor or go to testing center anytime you want. Hate to break it to you but most players are not going home during the football season anyways.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
People like @ShakyTheMohel do not believe and cannot fathom people having different opinions than his, but do not worry he will be the first to call someone ignorant.
I have no idea where you got that from my post.

I sense projection.

Reaction Score
At this point I would rather see Rose, Mensah, Fortt, Van Demark and a few more seniors be part of a full 2021 season with fans in the stands. Hopefully they can help the program finally turn the corner in 2021 as we will have a fully stocked veteran team. It's been a long time since our roster has been as good as it will be in 2021.

Reaction Score
Having now embraced the administration’s decision to cancel the season, our players are excited about—and fully engaged in—getting bigger faster stronger. Next year they get tested against Clemson and Purdue— instead of playing UMass twice this fall. And interestingly, the most vocal advocates for the decision were those with the most realistic aspirations for a shot at the NFL.They were advised by scouts that viewing and evaluating them at full force during better game competition next fall would be preferable to watching them bob and weave through a covid weakened schedule this fall.That got them hitting the weight room!

Attachments

• 1A0179B5-0412-499F-86CA-4F0E2490CF6D.jpeg
    1A0179B5-0412-499F-86CA-4F0E2490CF6D.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 191

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
No but loved watching my Cubbies set a MLB record this afternoon
You couldn't catch the As game because it was virused out by one positive player test. Good for Cubbies. My Yanks swept the Mets.

Reaction Score
Will UConn have enough humility to reverse course? Looks like the B1G is melting under the pressure of reason and folks who’ve had enough with the panic party.

No attack on anyone we all have our opinions but this one gets me a laugh out loud. Each time I check on this particular thread on my page is an advertisement between the title of the thread and the op's comment.
It is..... IQ TEST: WHAT IS YOUR IQ...
Love it, another submission in my book of things you just can't make up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom