Can UConn replace the Graduating Seniors? | The Boneyard

Can UConn replace the Graduating Seniors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Can UConn Replace the Graduating Seniors ?
With the 8th National Championship trophy safely stored in the UConn Women's Basketball trophy case, fans can only wait for next season and speculate about how the team will fare. The biggest topic of speculation may be whether UConn can replace the production of the graduating seniors and win a 9th N.C.

UConn lost "red-shirt" seniors Caroline Doty and Heather Buck, as well as regular senior Kelly Faris. All together, these three players were on the court for 1,936 minutes, scored 545 points and grabbed 325 rebounds. Those totals represent 25% of the team's minutes, 17% of the points and 20% of the rebounds. More importantly, those three players also accounted for 249 assists (31% of team total) and 127 steals (30% of team total). By far the biggest statistical loss will be Kelly Faris, who led the team in minutes (1,160), assists (156) and steals (96). In addition, her 399 points and 223 rebounds were both 4th highest on the team. Beyond the stats, Faris also led the Huskies in hustle, determination and individual defensive tenacity.

It would appear no single player will be able to replace all aspects of Faris' game. Two different players were second to Faris in assists (Hartley with 136) and steals (KLM with 57). Both are already starters, played significant minutes and probably can't double their production to make up for Faris. The bench players who may start in her place are much more specialized in what the add to the team. Morgan Tuck was fifth on the team with 120 rebounds, despite playing only 554 minutes. Playing an extra 450-500 minutes would project her rebound total ahead of Faris' results and greatly increase her 6.4 points per game. That would cover much of Faris' 10.2 points average. (Stewie will probably raise her 13.8 point average so making up scoring should not be the problem.) However, Tuck's assist total (47) and steal total (19) were well below Faris.

The clear choice to make up for lost assists and steals would be Moriah Jefferson. Her 69 assists and 52 steals were highest among the non-starters and improved dramatically during the last third of the season. Her 4.7 point scoring average would also rise with more playing time, but probably not as much as Tuck's. Rebounding is also not her specialty. Perhaps the best "all around" replacement for Faris would be Brianna Banks. Before her injury, Banks scored 153 points in just 359 minutes. Projected over the same minutes as Faris, Banks would have scored 494 points vs 399 for Faris. Her assist and steal totals improve as well, but not quite as much as Faris' results this year. Her rebounding does not project anywhere near the 223 by Faris.

While it appears Tuck, Jefferson or Banks could not individually equal Faris' contributions, collectively they just might. Spreading Faris' 1,160 minutes between Tuck, Jefferson and Banks would give each an extra 386 minutes. Tuck's extra rebounding & scoring, Jefferson's extra assists & steals and Banks' scoring & assists just might equal a full Kelly Faris.

The picture brightens even more when Doty and Buck's minutes and contributions are factored in. Combined, Tuck, Jefferson and Banks outscored the three seniors 560 to 545, despite playing 346 fewer minutes. The seniors had more rebounds (325 vs 220), but not if you add in Kiah Stokes who had 113 rebounds in just 342 minutes. Add 400 minutes of Doty's 627 playing time to Stokes and the replacements could out rebound the seniors. With an extra year of seasoning and more minutes, Jefferson and Banks would no doubt improve their combined 104 assists and 77 steals. Perhaps they might even exceed Faris' totals of 156 and 96.

Conclusion: The graduating seniors played 1,936 minutes. It would appear that spreading that time among Tuck, Jefferson, Banks and Stokes would more than make up scoring, rebounds, assists and steals that was lost to graduation. No single player can replace the unique package that was Kelly Faris, but collectively they have the talent to help UConn make a run at N.C. #9. And that is without factoring in the "wildcard" in this speculation, Saniya Chong. Reportedly, she can score, rebound, assist and steal, all in one package.

Go Huskies!!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Welcome!

That's quite a first post!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Doty will be missed, beyond her numbers, but but I think that will happen. She played the calming, player of experience when the team occasionally lost its mind. There was a period when Hartley wasn't playing like last year, when Banks, who was shining, got injured, and Mo Jeff still played like a freshman that the back court needed some oil on the water. This young team will be more experienced next year, with Banks back, Mo Jeff a more mature soph, and hopefully Hartley back to her usual self, so the need will be lessened.

Reaction Score
Nice write-up but you didn't mention Kelly's most important contribution - defense (although you did talk about steals). I am not worried about offense. Who will we assign to the opponents best offensive player? Hartley, Jefferson, Banks? I think that will be Geno's biggest challenge.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
My take:

Faris's production on the offensive end will be more than made up by the new & improved version of Stewie playing the whole year, a return to form for Bria, and an improved and steadier MoJeff. Her rebounds will be made up mostly by Stewie. We might have somewhat lower assist-to-made basket ratio next year than this past year, but in any event we will have more made baskets so who's counting... :D

Defense - here's where we will really miss Kelly Faris. There is no replacing the tenacity of this "shut down" guard. MoJeff will be better, no doubt, and Bria will be healthier (God willing) but we will still be less effective defending the perimeter than we were with Kelly. That much is inescapable. We will also have less ability to put one person on the opponent's best player and play everyone straight up.

But this just means that we will defend teams differently--not necesarily worse (or better). We will have more opponents able to take us off the dribble, but a more experienced Stewart will be there to help in the back. That's her greatest defensive skill anyway (help D). We might even see a bit more zone next year than we're used to seeing, to make sure we are maximizing Stewie's effectiveness. (IMHO a trapping zone like a 1-3-1 would be most effective for UCONN next year rather than our usual 2-3. It would utilize the best defensive skills of our guards, who are excellent at doubling and harassing, and Stewie could occupy the middle in a high enough position to cause a lot of problems for guards as well as forwards. But in all likelihood Geno will get great defense from his favored man-to-man, with Stewie especially giving great help as needed.)

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
Thanks for kind words... Tried to mention Faris defense at end of 2nd paragraph...Agree she was extremely effective against other team's leading scorer. With all the switching on screens "team defense" was great too...(Probably why Geno loves all those atheletic guards..) Also agree Stewie's shot blocking and rebounding should really improve...thanks.

HGN

Reaction Score
Nice write-up but you didn't mention Kelly's most important contribution - defense (although you did talk about steals). I am not worried about offense. Who will we assign to the opponents best offensive player? Hartley, Jefferson, Banks? I think that will be Geno's biggest challenge.
I think Banks is the most complete package to replace Kelly....She brings all the tangible talents ( scoring ; rebounds ; assists, etc.) and the defense. All we need is good health and fortune.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Welcome to the board. Just remember future posts need to be as insightful as your first post! ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My take:

Faris's production on the offensive end will be more than made up by the new & improved version of Stewie playing the whole year, a return to form for Bria, and an improved and steadier MoJeff. Her rebounds will be made up mostly by Stewie. We might have somewhat lower assist-to-made basket ratio next year than this past year, but in any event we will have more made baskets so who's counting... :D

Defense - here's where we will really miss Kelly Faris. There is no replacing the tenacity of this "shut down" guard. MoJeff will be better, no doubt, and Bria will be healthier (God willing) but we will still be less effective defending the perimeter than we were with Kelly. That much is inescapable. We will also have less ability to put one person on the opponent's best player and play everyone straight up.

But this just means that we will defend teams differently--not necesarily worse (or better). We will have more opponents able to take us off the dribble, but a more experienced Stewart will be there to help in the back. That's her greatest defensive skill anyway (help D). We might even see a bit more zone next year than we're used to seeing, to make sure we are maximizing Stewie's effectiveness. (IMHO a trapping zone like a 1-3-1 would be most effective for UCONN next year rather than our usual 2-3. It would utilize the best defensive skills of our guards, who are excellent at doubling and harassing, and Stewie could occupy the middle in a high enough position to cause a lot of problems for guards as well as forwards. But in all likelihood Geno will get great defense from his favored man-to-man, with Stewie especially giving great help as needed.)
Very good take Mike.

I agree without Faris, we will probably not be as good defensively at least on the perimeter. However with Jefferson and Banks playing more and a healthier Hartley we may be quicker defensively and that may make up for a shutdown defender.

I'm not really worried about the assists. UCONN teams always manage to be very good at assists. It will just be spread out over different players. They'll get theirs.

I like the 1-3-1 trapping defensive idea (or some form of a half court trap). With the speed and length we will have next year, along with Stewart, Stokes and Dolson's blocking ability we could be very good defensively again.

The biggest improvement will probably be having Jefferson, Tuck and Stewart become Sophs. As they say the best thing about Freshmen is they become Sophomores. :)

Reaction Score
when you consider how many points the team will be scoring next year , i can't imagine there will be much need for a shutdown defender.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Both Stewart and Tuck showed they can be capable and versatile defenders. Stewart's length was very effective against Slaughter on the perimeter and Tuck showed she can defend inside and on the perimeter.

I think Geno will challenge all of the players to improve defensively and the team defense will be very good as it always is.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
when you consider how many points the team will be scoring next year , i can't imagine there will be much need for a shutdown defender.
Except that many of those points are scored off of defense and turning the opponent over for more possessions and more baskets.

Reaction Score
Remember Breanna only played 23 minutes a game and that will change, as it did during the tournament , she blocked more shots , changed many others. No one person will be as good as Kelly, but Bria, Breanna both will play more in tight games, Bria because she's healthy, Breanna because she proved she's ready.

Reaction Score
Except that many of those points are scored off of defense and turning the opponent over for more possessions and more baskets.

yes, but off of team defense, not just by one player. though, we may very well see moriah set all sorts of records for steals by the time she finishes.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
yes, but off of team defense, not just by one player. though, we may very well see moriah set all sorts of records for steals by the time she finishes.
I would say off of both individual and team defense. Numerous steal were the result of Kelly poking balls away or stepping into passing lanes. Even team defense is dependent on the individual parts playing in it.

Reaction Score
DAVE: Yours is an example of my favorite kind of thread, looking ahead and trying to figure out a puzzle, in effect. And, the content itelf is a favorite of mine as well: how do we keep the engine runnin? In this instance, the issue is the changing of some important engine parts. Wonderful thread with some nice posts. Appreciated.

Reaction Score
Geno is fond of saying that points can always be replaced. It's the Leadership that is hard to replace.

If I had to guess I would say the leaders next year will be Stef and Bria. Maybe even KML!

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
Thanks winlots... engine analogy is so true... Geno can rev it up and go "fast" w/ Stewie, Tuck, KML, Banks & Jefferson OR "slower but big" w/ Dolson, Stokes, Stewie, KML and a guard... with Faris and Doty gone, Geno may mix and match with really different looks... regardless, KML and Stewie seem to be constants...:)

Reaction Score
Can we replace Kelly? In a word, no.

We couldn't replace any number of superb players who have worn the UConn uniform over the years, but someone new and different always came along. There's a long line of terrific players going back to Kerry Bascom and Rebecca Lobo, replaced by Jen, Jamelle and Kara, then Nykesha, Shea, Sveta ... and on to Rene, Tina, Maya and now to the present group.

We'll miss Kelly, but we'll be more than alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom