Can this team get Crystal on the WALL? | The Boneyard

Can this team get Crystal on the WALL?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Is it too far a stretch. CD gets her AA status and the final net to go up on the wall? I mean all things are possible, but realistically, what are the odds and what has to go right?

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Great question...
Striking that balance between keeping herself aggressive on the offensive end calling her own number, while making sure teammates are highly involved as well, make sure the ball is in the right place with right person during the possession...

Definitely a challenge with this young team...

Know she is up for it!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Great question...
Striking that balance between keeping herself aggressive on the offensive end calling her own number, while making sure teammates are highly involved as well, make sure the ball is in the right place with right person during the possession...

Definitely a challenge with this young team...

Know she is up for it!

If we use Moriah as a measuring stick of being an AA at that position, CD would need to be a defensive menace as well since she will not pump 20 pts a game in. It was that combination that gave Moriah so many accolades imho. Problem is, I do not see that happening partly on skills (Moriah was a bit taller, faster and I think had a bigger wing span) and also not having a Breanna Stewart in the post to clean up the overplays. Yes, ONO can block shots but not like Stewie who could do it without fouling etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I do
If we use Moriah as a measuring stick of being an AA at that position, CD would need to be a defensive menace as well since she will not pump 20 pts a game in. It was that combination that gave Moriah so many accolades imho. Problem is, I do not see that happening partly on skills (Moriah was a bit taller, faster and I think had a bigger wing span) and also not having a Breanna Stewart in the post to clean up the overplays. Yes, ONO can block shots but not like Stewie who could do it without fouling etc.

I don’t think Moriah is the measuring stick. The question is whether she is one of the 10 best players in the country (she is) and, more importantly, if the voters see her as such (bigger question).

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don’t think Moriah is the measuring stick. The question is whether she is one of the 10 best players in the country (she is) and, more importantly, if the voters see her as such (bigger question).
How do we know she's one of the 10 best if the season hasn't even started yet?

I would love to see Crystal join the pantheon of great UConn point guards: Rizzotti, Bird, Taurasi, Montgomery, Jefferson. But if I take my homer glasses off and view things dispassionately, she just hasn't quite made that leap from very good to great. I hope this is the year she makes that leap.

Reaction Score
How do we know she's one of the 10 best if the season hasn't even started yet?

We know who is coming back this year in WCBB. And in my mind she is one of the 10 best. Name two point guards better than her.

Reaction Score
What UConn has lacked lately is a stopper on defense. The traditional player who neutralized the opponent's best player. I think that Crystal has the physical ability to do that.

Also lacking was a real center who could defend the basket and enable the defenders to take some chances. Ono will be that this season.

Plebe

Reaction Score
We know who is coming back this year in WCBB. And in my mind she is one of the 10 best. Name two point guards better than her.
But my point is that it should be based on performance in the 2019-20 season, not on previous seasons.

Also, the AA teams aren't selected by position. Last year's 15 AP selections only included one combo guard (Ionescu). Neither Durr nor Ogunbowale played point guard last year.

Reaction Score
The main challenge I see for her is playing on a loaded team, I think Williams, Westbrook, and ONO, could all challenge for AA this year, and Walker could also be in the conversation.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
But my point is that it should be based on performance in the 2019-20 season, not on previous seasons.

So wouldn't it then fall in the category of a preseason prediction? Don't we see preseason predictions (teams, POY, ROY) every year? I'm confused.

Reaction Score
I would say she’ll probably have to post a good assist-to-turnover ratio (2+), average at least 5+apg, and score 12+ppg to be considered a first team AA. A few steals and rebounds would certainly help her cause as well. Unfortunately there are a lot of players (especially guards) that’ll be considered for the first team this year. Sabrina Ionescu and Chennedy Carter both seem like they’ll make it since ppg matters regardless of fg%. Not to mention the fact that some other huskies might be up for AA status if they make the jumps they’re expected to.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I would say she’ll probably have to post a good assist-to-turnover ratio (2+), average at least 5+apg, and score 12+ppg to be considered a first team AA. A few steals and rebounds would certainly help her cause as well.

Last season Crystal averaged 13.4 ppg, 5.9 assists/gm, 3.2 reb/gm and 1.6 steals/gm. Her assist/turnover was 3:1.

I'd like to see her increase her overall FG% (43%) and her 3FG% (35%).

Reaction Score
You only get on the wall if you receive the All-American nod, if not, you don’t get on the wall. It’s that simple. The question is, who besides Christyn Williams will be on the Wall come 20-21? ...because I know for sure she will, I can feel it

Plebe

Reaction Score
Last season Crystal averaged 13.4 ppg, 5.9 assists/gm, 3.2 reb/gm and 1.6 steals/gm. Her assist/turnover was 3:1.

I'd like to see her increase her overall FG% (43%) and her 3FG% (35%).
Crystal seemed to struggle offensively against much of the tougher competition.
Regular season:
  • at Notre Dame: 4-15 (13 pts), 4 assists
  • at Baylor: 4-18 (11 pts), 2 assists
  • at Louisville: 7-20 (19 pts), 3 assists
  • vs. South Carolina: 3-7 (10 pts), 4 assists
Postseason:
  • vs. Buffalo: 2-7 (11 pts), 4 assists
  • vs. UCLA: 6-15 (15 pts), 4 assists
  • vs. Louisville: 4-8 (10 pts), 3 assists
  • vs. Notre Dame: 2-11 (4 pts), 9 assists
For these 8 games, I'm calculating 31.6% FG (32-101) and 4.1 apg.

Plebe

Reaction Score
So wouldn't it then fall in the category of a preseason prediction? Don't we see preseason predictions (teams, POY, ROY) every year? I'm confused.
Okay, then, the perspective would be something like:
"I think she's one of the top 10 players in the country; I hope/expect her performance bears that out."
Or:
"I think she will be one of the top 10 players this year; I hope the voters see it that way as well."

Reaction Score
I very much like Ms. Ono...but challenge for AA status this year...That is quite a stretch..how about first team all AAC..........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If we make the assumption that Ionescu is a “combo” guard, imo Crystal is the best pure pg in college basketball. She is incredibly creative with the ball in her hands, gets her teammates involved, has deep range from the arc, a nice mid range jumper, and the ability to finish at the basket with an array of spectacular running bank shots straight off the playground. Crystal also draws the toughest defensive assignments vs opposing guards.

After surgery on her second hip, it is my hope that Crystal is completely healthy this coming season, something that she really hasn’t been since she arrived in Storrs. If Crystal stays healthy, there is a very good chance that she will be UConn’s career assist leader before she’s done.

For Crystal to be a 1st team AA, some things have to line up. It would certainly help if UConn runs the table during the regular season along with winning the AAC tournament yet again. Certainly, Oregon & Baylor will be tests, but UConn hasn’t lost in the State of CT in 5 1/2 years. The difficulty for Crystal is, on a team that’s loaded with talented g/w’s, particularly if Evina’s waiver is granted, where everyone passes the ball, it will be difficult for Crystal to rack up big numbers. Finally, it’s unusual for two guards from one team to both be named 1st team AA’s, and imo Crystal’s backcourt running mate will be UConn’s best player this season.

With that said, there is not another pg in the country I would rather have running my team than Crystal. I would love to see her lead the Huskies to a championship, earn 1st team AA honors and have her name enshrined at Gampel with the other great HOH.

Reaction Score
Crystal seemed to struggle offensively against much of the tougher competition.
Regular season:
  • at Notre Dame: 4-15 (13 pts), 4 assists
  • at Baylor: 4-18 (11 pts), 2 assists
  • at Louisville: 7-20 (19 pts), 3 assists
  • vs. South Carolina: 3-7 (10 pts), 4 assists
Postseason:
  • vs. Buffalo: 2-7 (11 pts), 4 assists
  • vs. UCLA: 6-15 (15 pts), 4 assists
  • vs. Louisville: 4-8 (10 pts), 3 assists
  • vs. Notre Dame: 2-11 (4 pts), 9 assists
For these 8 games, I'm calculating 31.6% FG (32-101) and 4.1 apg.

I am confident you are not cherry picking but for transparency should include these games against:
  • vs. DePaul: 5-10 (12 pts), 7 assists
  • at California: 5-8 (15 pts), 4 assists
For those 10 games, now calculating 35.3% FG (42-119) and 4.4 apg.

Note: I assume you chose to exclude UCF as they were never ranked in the national polls (neither AP or USA Today) even though they were 15 RPI and 33 Massey. Though Buffalo was never ranked either with 38 RPI and 68 Massey.

Also to be fair most players efficiency drops against better competition.

2018-19 UConn Stats AP vs Non AP.png

Christyn's efficiency actually improves and with increased usage (14.6 vs 11.4 Efficiency with 17.5 vs 16.9 Usage).

Also noticed Megan's usage rate drops from 21.5 to 17.2.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am confident you are not cherry picking but for transparency should include these games against:
  • vs. DePaul: 5-10 (12 pts), 7 assists
  • at California: 5-8 (15 pts), 4 assists
For those 10 games, now calculating 35.3% FG (42-119) and 4.4 apg.

Note: I assume you chose to exclude UCF as they were never ranked in the national polls (neither AP or USA Today) even though they were 15 RPI and 33 Massey. Though Buffalo was never ranked either with 38 RPI and 68 Massey.

Also to be fair most players efficiency drops against better competition.

View attachment 46006

Christyn's efficiency actually improves and with increased usage (14.6 vs 11.4 Efficiency with 17.5 vs 16.9 Usage).

Also noticed Megan's usage rate drops from 21.5 to 17.2.
I would also add that Crystal was spectacular in the 4th qtr against a tough UCLA team, making one critical play after another as the Huskies held off the Bruins in the Sweet 16 game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Crystal breaks both the UConn season and career records for assists, she should get SOME recognition. At this stage of her career, I think she’s as good as Renee.

To follow up on the OP subject line, her teammates can help her by making shots. Beautiful passes that lead to missed layups don’t help her cause.

We made it to the Final Four last year, because Crystal took over the Sweet 16 game against UCLA.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I would also add that Crystal was spectacular in the 4th qtr against a tough UCLA team, making one critical play after another as the Huskies held off the Bruins in the Sweet 16 game.
UConn would have lost in the Sweet 16 last season if it were not for Crystal making circus shots repeatedly early in the fourth quarter of the UCLA game. Watch the replay if you don't believe me.

Reaction Score
If Crystal breaks both the UConn season and career records for assists, she should get SOME recognition. At this stage of her career, I think she’s as good as Renee.

To follow up on the OP subject line, her teammates can help her by making shots. Beautiful passes that lead to missed layups don’t help her cause.

We made it to the Final Four last year, because Crystal took over the Sweet 16 game against UCLA.
I’m sorry, but I don’t think she’s as good as Renee

Reaction Score
Is it too far a stretch. CD gets her AA status and the final net to go up on the wall? I mean all things are possible, but realistically, what are the odds and what has to go right?
a=Assuming Danger is 100 percent healthy going into this year and Uconn goes the limit. There is nothing that will stop her from AA if she plays her Danger game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom