Can Nika??! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can Nika??!

Reaction Score
As far as the W is concerned, Nika already possesses the skills and toughness necessary to be an outstanding defender and offensive facilitator at pg. Add in her leadership ability and there are a number of teams in the W that would be interested in bringing Nika in for a look.

But as others have indicated, Nika needs to improve her ability to score the basketball to make it and then stick in the W. Last season, there were signs of improvement. Nika shot the ball better from the arc and she started to take the ball to the basket for a layup or dish to a teammate.

Nika’s offensive game reminds me a little of Courtney Vandersloot, without the 3-pt shooting proficiency. If she continues to improve her scoring, Nika has a good chance of earning one of those precious roster spots in the W.
A lot will depend on who takes the extra Covid year. If the top echelon elect to stay in college, there will be a chance for players like Nika to make a roster. However, she may elect to play full time in Europe, where she would make more money and where her skill set is highly valued.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Can Nika make it in the WNBA - yes.

Her skill set as a floor general, an assist machine and a defensive bulldog is valuable. It all depends on who drafts her.

My initial thought is second round pick and to Minnesota. A playmaker guard is a weak point for the Lynx right now. Cheryl likes UConn players and knows the are usually WNBA ready.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I love her game; does it make it in the WNBA? So few teams and little turnover in players year to year make it very hard to stick with a team. I wouldn't be surprised if she makes a roster. Her grit and savvy alone give her an honest shot to be on a roster.

Reaction Score
I think she can. She certainly handle the physicality, but must reduce those turnovers. Possessions are too valuable and she knows how to get more, but has to limit giveaways.

Reaction Score
As much as I am hoping for her, I think it might be a 50/50 proposition. On the plus side she has two skills that are above average for a WNBA prospect, namely passing and defense, and also has the advantage of a Uconn pedigree as regards being prepared for the W.

On the other hand the scoring is very weak for a WNBA prospect, and I think she will be viewed mostly as a one position player, but could perhaps expand her role as a defensive situational substitute.

I think she might also get more consideration than more talented players because her effort will never be questioned, and she should be a very good teammate and practice player, who could accept a fairly limited role.

Whether she makes the W or not, I believe at a minimum she will have a long and successful foreign career and hopefully a role in the WNBA as well.

Reaction Score
I am very much a Nika fan. There's the thing, lacking significant expansion which isn't going to happen anytime soon, there are only 144 spots available in the W. Theoretically these are some of the best basketball players on the planet Earth. Some will retire, some will be injured, a small number will get bumped by incoming players, but the majority of those spots are locked down. What's available to be filled is a relatively small number of positions that will go to the best college and international players. Will Nika be one of them? Maybe, but if she doesn't make it, it's not because she isn't good enough. More likely it will be due to the limited number of opportunities. To get in the W you need to be both good and lucky.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom