Can Nika??! | The Boneyard

Can Nika??!

Reaction Score
I don’t think her odds are great but let’s look at another player as a comparison. She’s bigger (substantially) than Hailey Van Lith, a (much) better defender, and a much better passer. Hailey Van Lith obviously is a better scorer but Nika is working on her offense. I think if Nika can get her scoring up a tad and (especially) increase her three point consistency, and clean up her turnovers, she could latch on somewhere as a backup pg. Both of these players imo are basically looking at (best case scenario) being a backup point guard. As I said, neither has good odds but unless Hailey Van Lith drastically improves her pg skills, I’d have to say she, for all her notoriety high ranking, and scoring prowess, is not much more likely than Nika. It’s increasingly difficult to make it in the W when you’re small unless you have some exceptional attribute that helps you to overcome your height. Mo has blinding speed, shoots well, and is a huge pest on defense. Ari McDonald has speed and is strong defensively. Hailey Van Lith really has none of those things besides attitude, and self-confidence, while Nika has (more) size, defensive play, and passing. I think they both will more likely make their money overseas. Jmo.

Reaction Score
Early second round or late first round, it depends of who declares and what the teams need

Reaction Score
There are just so few roster spots in the W that many pretty darn good players can't get a real shot at making it into and staying in the league. Nika has some good skills and her intensity level is a real plus. Not being inclined to shoot much will hurt her chances. I'd quess that her pro future is overseas, which pays better anyway. And if on a European team she'd be close to her home. All in all probably a great outcome for her.

Reaction Score
There are just so few roster spots in the W that many pretty darn good players can't get a real shot at making it into and staying in the league. Nika has some good skills and her intensity level is a real plus. Not being inclined to shoot much will hurt her chances. I'd quess that her pro future is overseas, which pays better anyway. And if on a European team she'd be close to her home. All in all probably a great outcome for her.
I agree with You that playing Europe is better for the money, but every girl wants to have a WNBA ring

Reaction Score
I think she needs to be a reliable shooting threat to be successful in the W. I hope she can add that to her game. I think of her in a Vandersloot type PG (not comparing skill level just style). Although Sloot rarely scores over 10 pts with all those assists, she is still a threat and can knock down shots when the opposing team decides to focus on other players. I think Nika needs to work on being a reliable open shot maker...

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I definitely think she will play in the WNBA. The WNBA is fast, physical, and features a lot of transition play. Those are her strengths.

Projects as a backup point guard. Her offense is good enough for that role even now. I realize that it is difficult to make a WNBA roster but if you look at the scoring averages of WNBA bench players, they are generally mediocre. WNBA teams rarely win games due to the scoring of their backup players.

I have no idea what she plans to do after her basketball playing days are over but it is not hard to imagine her coaching at a very high level, possibly a major college program, a top level European team, or the WNBA. She has the personality, the leadership qualities, the smarts, the competitive drive, and the UConn brand, having learned from the best and played with the best. She would be tough but I think players would love to play for her.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Nika can! Her Points per game (7.1), her assists per game (almost 8) amd her shot average (41%) is better than most of the WNBA players. I know it will be tougher in the WNBA but Nika is only scratching the surface of what she can be.

sun

Reaction Score
The results of a July, '23 BY poll that asked, "Will Nika make a WNBA roster?"were 78 yes votes & 56 no votes.

Reaction Score
Nika will make it on her leadership if she makes it. He skills are adequate but not great, she has a habit of being loose with the ball but she is tenacious on defense and knows the game. I really think this year will be important for her since it most likely would be as close to her pro roster as you could ask and still be in college. If she cleans up so warts I think she will catch on and after that it depends on if she can find some offense to help her team.

Reaction Score
I think Nika will make a WNBA roster. I think she brings a lot to a team; defense, being able to read the floor, knowing her teammates and how they like ball deliver to them in, and she understands angles, which is a huge key in basketball.

Reaction Score
Minnesota desperately needs a back-up point guard. Their shooting guards have proven to have poor court vision and a habit of poor passing. Nika would fit in beautifully coming off the bench. She would impact the game with defense and energy, just like a bench player is supposed to. They have two scoring machines and a potential third one in Miller. Nika is perfect for them. And she may be still be available in the secound round

Reaction Score
Would love to see her take the extra covid year with Uconn, then proceed on to the WNBA
Somewhat off topic, if everyone takes their covid year, isn't Geno 1 scholarship short? Or did I miss count?

Reaction Score
Would love to see her take the extra covid year with Uconn, then proceed on to the WNBA
I,m with you. NIKA being NIKA will ,if she plays in the WNBA will become a WNBA player. She is too good not to succeed. I would love her to take her Covid year and put another NC on her resume. Defense is an important part of winning a Championship and NIKA would definitely be an asset to that purpose on any team that would pick her. GO NIKA!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
As a foreign player, there is no NIL; thus, no incentive to take the Covid year.

Reaction Score
As a foreign player, there is no NIL; thus, no incentive to take the Covid year.
How about the idea: to take the extra year to win another NC?? or get an extra
degree?, or something else, besides __________? We all have many "incentives"
in life. That said.. Nika goes "pro"!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As far as the W is concerned, Nika already possesses the skills and toughness necessary to be an outstanding defender and offensive facilitator at pg. Add in her leadership ability and there are a number of teams in the W that would be interested in bringing Nika in for a look.

But as others have indicated, Nika needs to improve her ability to score the basketball to make it and then stick in the W. Last season, there were signs of improvement. Nika shot the ball better from the arc and she started to take the ball to the basket for a layup or dish to a teammate.

Nika’s offensive game reminds me a little of Courtney Vandersloot, without the 3-pt shooting proficiency. If she continues to improve her scoring, Nika has a good chance of earning one of those precious roster spots in the W.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom