Can everyone take a deep breath | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can everyone take a deep breath

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure there is a big difference between 1 win and 5 wins.

Unless you don’t think you need to recruit players or sell tickets. FYI - there isn’t a draft.
Agree there is a difference, disagree that it matters this year. Tickets and interest and recruits are already hurting, obviously the sooner we can turn it around the better, I guess to me it's kind of a can't get much lower than this season.

Reaction Score
I do not believe these are the worst players in the history of FBS football. I think much of this falls on the coaches. I can't believe how many posters blame the players (too young, too weak, too stupid to learn the defense) and give the coaches a complete pass.

This is a shared failure. It isn't ALL because they are young.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The two things that stand out when watching our defense are 1) lack of speed and 2) lack of tackling technique. The first one is a player issue that will get better with recruiting and (maybe) weight room work. The second is a coaching issue.

Reaction Score
Have to agree in large measure. These excuses are mostly BS. What fries me is that we are not just bad. Bad is one thing and understandable. Putrid at historical levels in another. They aren’t even in the same statistical realm as the second worst team in the FCS. Yes, they are young, undersized and inexperienced. Yes, they should be outmatched. But what doesn’t add up is the absolute inability to tackle and swarm, to look back for a ball in the air, to take good angles, to keep outside leverage, etc. The lack of basic aggression is pathetic.
The interesting part is in the middle of your post you cite the very reasons why they take bad angles, not maintaining leverage and the inability to tackle well (which is an issue all throughout football). Why do people forget that there are other scholarship players on the other side of the field that are trained to make you miss, take bad angles and out muscle you into bad technique? Right now those guys are better at their jobs than us because they have more size, speed and strength- not to mention experience.
Could you imagine what the narrative would be if we were actually hanging with these teams with a bunch of freshmen? The other fan bases and media would call for them to shut their programs down because their veteran team slugged it out with a bunch of high school kids.
What’s happening now, for all intents and purposes, is what’s supposed to happen.

Perhaps a few of you on this board have kids that play youth sports. I’ve seen and coached plenty of games. And I’ve seen a bunch of 8 yr olds have to play a bunch of 9 and 10 yr olds before. And believe me, the results are usually the same. Those younger kids get manhandled. And the first thing that most parents in youth sports look for is to see how big the other team is that they’re playing.
It never stops mattering in football. Size and speed and age are a premium. When your opponent has those advantages over you, especially all three, the results are well- the results.
Stop acting like it’s somehow supposed to be different because we’re UConn.

Reaction Score
As for the non-TD catch at the end of the first half, was it a TD? From the stadium, it looked like, when the WRs one foot came down (in bounds), he had both hands on the ball, and never lost possession thereafter. Yes, when that foot came down the DB may have had as much or more of the ball than the WR, but it's supposed to be a good catch if their is shared possession.

For those who saw it on TV, what happened and what was the explanation for ruling it incomplete?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
As for the non-TD catch at the end of the first half, was it a TD? From the stadium, it looked like, when the WRs one foot came down (in bounds), he had both hands on the ball, and never lost possession thereafter. Yes, when that foot came down the DB may have had as much or more of the ball than the WR, but it's supposed to be a good catch if their is shared possession.

For those who saw it on TV, what happened and what was the explanation for ruling it incomplete?
I couldn’t believe that wasn’t a catch. Looked pretty cut and dry to me. Team was playing very well up until that point and it completely took the wind out of our sails. I was in the stadium but they showed many replays (not sure they’re supposed to?)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Agree there is a difference, disagree that it matters this year. Tickets and interest and recruits are already hurting, obviously the sooner we can turn it around the better, I guess to me it's kind of a can't get much lower than this season.

And how does it ever get better unless recruiting gets better?

Reaction Score
Youth, size, speed, experience all contribute to success and/or failure in game results. But it all starts with recruiting, which, I know, is beating a dead horse. My concern is the number of recruits that don't have any other offers....at any level of college football. Its one thing to suggest players can be coached up.......but I guess it depends the level of high school experience from which they are coming. If the recruits are coming from the lowest ranking of HS football teams (in any state) they MAY NOT have solid HS skills from which to build. Did any of the recruits come from state championship HS playoff teams, or do they come from teams that never plays post season HS football.

Coaching plays a part also, but if that's the cause for failure, does UConn only get coaches no one else wants? Ten years is a long time to keep hiring the worse coaches in FBS if that is the sole reason for dismal records in recent past.

Reaction Score
What does wash mean? Is next year a wash also as unless he gets lot of Juco transfers or other older players his 2 deep on defense will have 13 sophomores (unless true freshman take some of these slots) and still need some freshman to step up to play.
This year UConn is playing its freshmen team so yes, this season is a wash. Next year UConn will be playing its JV team, so yes, next year will be a wash too. In 2020 UConn will have a varsity team in the AAC and will go bowling. The following year will be awesome culminating in a major bowl in January 2022. ;) ;)

Reaction Score
You can only go to the "starting over" excuse so many times with fans before it loses its ability to placate them.

The team isn't any better than they were under Crazy Bob or Pasqualoni. Hell, they're much worse. And yeah I understand that the problems of today are an indication of failures of the past. But let's not forget that Edsall made this mess in the first place, so he gets less rope than maybe someone else would as he tries to clean it up.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I said this before: where I get a little pissed is to think that Edsall had to have seen this coming with all his experience. If anyone would have a good idea of what it means to play virtually all freshman and the kind of freshman a program like ours manages to pull in, its a guy with 20 years of head coaching experience here in the northeast. And so why didn't he get more JUCOs to bridge the gap? You may laugh at this, but the staff leaves a pretty clear path on twitter and there is little to suggest a serious effort was made last Dec/Jan to pull in JUCOs.

The kind of kids were are recruiting and will continue to recruit for several years ahead are exactly the opposite of what the top programs command; the kids that need 2-3 years of S&C and coaching to develop.

Our best player is Pindell and he's a JUCO. And there is Buss whose a transfer. In fact, there is not really a player in the top 10 of this roster that is an underclassman but for Mensah. Players need development time, especially the kids we are taking in. Edsall should have known,

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I said this before: where I get a little pissed is to think that Edsall had to have seen this coming with all his experience. If anyone would have a good idea of what it means to play virtually all freshman and the kind of freshman a program like ours manages to pull in, its a guy with 20 years of head coaching experience here in the northeast. And so why didn't he get more JUCOs to bridge the gap? You may laugh at this, but the staff leaves a pretty clear path on twitter and there is little to suggest a serious effort was made last Dec/Jan to pull in JUCOs.

The kind of kids were are recruiting and will continue to recruit for several years ahead are exactly the opposite of what the top programs command; the kids that need 2-3 years of S&C and coaching to develop.

Our best player is Pindell and he's a JUCO. And there is Buss whose a transfer. In fact, there is not really a player in the top 10 of this roster that is an underclassman but for Mensah. Players need development time, especially the kids we are taking in. Edsall should have known,

How disgraceful has the coaching been here?

The best WR is a transfer from the NEC and the top back before he got hurt is a D-II transfer.

How is that even frigging possible?

Edsall burned it to the ground. So guess what buddy - you can to answer to starting 11 underclassmen.

BTW the offense kind of blows too - too young I guess.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
And how does it ever get better unless recruiting gets better?

This is our great paradox. Bad teams can't get better without good recruiting, recruiting can't get more than marginally better without on field success or dynamic coaches. Unfortunately, we have neither of those things. Edsall has been a great value recruiter, but our product in 2018 is not what it was in 2003--we can't pitch a dream or a rise to greatness in the same way we could before. 8 wins in the Big East was much more exciting--the idea of beating a Pitt or WVU, than winning 8 games in the AAC regardless of which conference actually had better teams. Would we even get that excited if we were an average AAC team? That's what we were during RE1--an average Big East team.

Randy's old guard mentality doesn't help. He's not alone in a profession that tends to be hugely socially conservative, but what 17 year old kid wants to constantly listen to how things used to be much better 15 years ago and that texting has ruined them? I know I sure wouldn't--I'd rather play for a younger coach who actually understands today's world than a Luddite with a 2 win program.

Randy's saving grace is that he's a value recruiter. It's always been his best attribute. I just wonder if we can even get enough value to make ourselves a competitive team, because it needs to happen fast. We're getting to the point of becoming a Kansas or Rutgers kind of thing, where the program has a stench that it can't drop that makes recruiting nearly impossible.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Part of me believes it's a matter of ego. Edsall can show how bad his successors were by doing this. You become so incredibly bad that there's nowhere to go but up and you blame it on the past. It's a decent strategy for generating job security in a program that already can't afford to go elsewhere

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is our great paradox. Bad teams can't get better without good recruiting, recruiting can't get more than marginally better without on field success or dynamic coaches. Unfortunately, we have neither of those things. Edsall has been a great value recruiter, but our product in 2018 is not what it was in 2003--we can't pitch a dream or a rise to greatness in the same way we could before. 8 wins in the Big East was much more exciting--the idea of beating a Pitt or WVU, than winning 8 games in the AAC regardless of which conference actually had better teams. Would we even get that excited if we were an average AAC team? That's what we were during RE1--an average Big East team.

Randy's old guard mentality doesn't help. He's not alone in a profession that tends to be hugely socially conservative, but what 17 year old kid wants to constantly listen to how things used to be much better 15 years ago and that texting has ruined them? I know I sure wouldn't--I'd rather play for a younger coach who actually understands today's world than a Luddite with a 2 win program.

Randy's saving grace is that he's a value recruiter. It's always been his best attribute. I just wonder if we can even get enough value to make ourselves a competitive team, because it needs to happen fast. We're getting to the point of becoming a Kansas or Rutgers kind of thing, where the program has a stench that it can't drop that makes recruiting nearly impossible.

my initial reaction was that it was the worst hire I’d ever heard and then I sort of got ok with based on posts here - but it’s a plane crashing onto a trainwreck at this point.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Part of me believes it's a matter of ego. Edsall can show how bad his successors were by doing this. You become so incredibly bad that there's nowhere to go but up and you blame it on the past. It's a decent strategy for generating job security in a program that already can't afford to go elsewhere
Phil, I have a hard time looking at you now with that Jacobs pic. I won't make eye contact.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
my initial reaction was that it was the worst hire I’d ever heard and then I sort of got ok with based on posts here - but it’s a plane crashing onto a trainwreck at this point.
I think I was mixed at the time. Wanted something exotic, but loved that Randy was tried and true and would be an adult.

Skipping the JUCO bridge, in my eyes, has been a colossal misstep. Going to the JUCO well this winter is better than not, but it means we are one year behind where we should have been.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There is being young.
There is being inexperienced.
There is being bad.
There is being the worst defense in the country.

And there is what are, likely the worst D1 offense of all time.

You can be all of the first 4 things without being the last. I think it's fair to hold the staff accountable for the level of bad defense we are seeing. Being young doesn't mean you are required to give up 50 ppg to all comers.

The only thing limiting the number of points given up right now is the clock.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
There is being young.
There is being bad.

You can be all of the first 4 things without being the last. I think it's fair to hold the staff accountable for the level of bad defense we are seeing. Being young doesn't mean you are required to give up 50 ppg to all comers.

Rumor has it the clock at the Rent has been made to run 5% faster for the remaining games of the year shaving off about 3 mins over the four quarters. Whose gonna notice that each second is just .95 of a whole second?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Rumor has it the clock at the Rent has been made to run 5% faster for the remaining games of the year shaving off about 3 mins over the four quarters. Whose gonna notice that each second is just .95 of a whole second?

You have no idea how badly I wish this was true. Running clock and situational football practices just like our old PP Spring Games!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
There is being young.
There is being bad.

Exactly right. This defense is historically awful. I'm dead serious - our D would have a very difficult time stopping high school offenses in any fairly hot hotbed of HS football. Hope a few years of S&C will add the necessary muscle and speed needed to compete at the FBS level.

Reaction Score

I was at the game did but I did re-watched the first half on Sunday. To me it was a catch. The TV announcers thought it would not be reversed because when McLean was falling to the ground there was some movement of the ball. It was one of those plays that we see get call both ways each year. It was a tough break for a team that certainly doesn't need the close calls to go against them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom