Can everyone take a deep breath | The Boneyard

Can everyone take a deep breath

Reaction Score
Losing is not fun, getting blown out is frustrating. The team is trying it’s best and is simply incapable of pushing past the physical restrictions required for division 1 football. We are starting from square one after a bad coach who refused to recruit. It will get better. Edsall has made it clear this season was a wash. I want the best for this school and athletic department but folding a program because it isn’t succeeding year 2 of a true rebuild is pathetic. There is no senior or junior leadership. Give them time... Crocker made a competent defense out of FCS players who was able to shut down Pitt. Just let them work.

Reaction Score
Losing is not fun, getting blown out is frustrating. The team is trying it’s best and is simply incapable of pushing past the physical restrictions required for division 1 football. We are starting from square one after a bad coach who refused to recruit. It will get better. Edsall has made it clear this season was a wash. I want the best for this school and athletic department but folding a program because it isn’t succeeding year 2 of a true rebuild is pathetic. There is no senior or junior leadership. Give them time... Crocker made a competent defense out of FCS players who was able to shut down Pitt. Just let them work.
Same excuses over and over. This is year two for Edsall and while they are really limited in talent chalking it up to we're supposed to look like the worst football team ever because of the talent level is pure BS. Nobody on the field knows what they're supposed to do. Their positioning stinks, ability to read a play stinks, take terrible angles, overpursue, can't recognize blitz packages etc. This looks like a high school team that has never been coached up.

And they try hard? They've already given up in several games this season.

Reaction Score
What does wash mean? Is next year a wash also as unless he gets lot of Juco transfers or other older players his 2 deep on defense will have 13 sophomores (unless true freshman take some of these slots) and still need some freshman to step up to play.
UConn has by far the worst defense in FBS history after 5 games, so is it only a problem that have 129th best talent and lucky for UConn the coaching is great. Just think how bad the team could be with weak coaching!
Ever other team (just about) in FBS can get WR/TE/RB open for short passes, not UConn. Running QB puts tremendous pressure on opponents, except UConn's opponents. Teams on defense try and make opposing QB's earn completions, except UConn whose defense seems predicated on dropped passes, penalties by offense and bad hike/hand-off plays.

Reaction Score

This.

Just about everyone agreed during the summer this year was going to be rough. And just about everyone agreed the way the schedule is we'd only have 1 win by now, and it was going to be the end of the schedule where hopefully we could win a few games.

I get the venting, it is very painful to watch. But every week does not need essays about the future of the program

Reaction Score
I’m done! It’s one thing to be a bad team, it’s another to be the absolute worst defense in college football two years in a row. I don’t need to remind everyone, that we were the absolute worst offense in college football just two years ago. With that being said, the University still peddles tickets at $30 bucks a pop and has the nerve to charge season ticket holders a seat license. There are better things to do on a Saturday. As bad as recruiting has been, I don’t remember classes ranked 129, which is where our offense and now our defense has been. But we will continue to say, “it’s a rebuild”, “recruiting rankings don’t matter”, “coach the players up”. Eight year of this shaaat.

Reaction Score
I’m done! It’s one thing to be a bad team, it’s another to be the absolute worst defense in college football two years in a row. I don’t need to remind everyone, that we were the absolute worst offense in college football just two years ago. With that being said, the University still peddles tickets at $30 bucks a pop and has the nerve to charge season ticket holders a seat license. There are better things to do on a Saturday. As bad as recruiting has been, I don’t remember classes ranked 129, which is where our offense and now our defense has been. But we will continue to say, “it’s a rebuild”, “recruiting rankings don’t matter”, “coach the players up”. Eight year of this shaaat.
And yes, I’m venting and I will be at the next game. But right now I need to go through all the stages.

Reaction Score
Sadly most people on this board are too frustrated to see this point.
It’s almost like people believe the teams we all played (their upperclassmen) walked in big, strong and fast.
True there are freshmen that come in ready to roll and we don’t really have a lot of those. But the real problem is we can’t hide any of their mistakes and deficiencies with upperclassmen that clean up the mess. If you put a freshman out there with a bunch of veterans he will play better.
The safeties help the corners who help the LB’s who help the Line. And the other way goes the Line puts pressure in the backfield and eats up blockers which helps the LBs to have free reign to make tackles which allows the secondary to be more aggressive and take more chances which leads to more plays being made on the back end.
Right now, none of that is happening because everyone has a bad matchup.

I will start judging this team next Spring
I can’t, in good conscience, do it now. Knowing how much it takes to win at this level and just looking at all the successful teams’ rosters and their makeup I just can’t judge

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I just don't know what happened, from down 14-7 and driving for a TD (for what it's worth, the replay looked like it was a TD to me. The replay that showed the ball wiggle was really the receivers hand position changing), to missing a FG, to all hell breaking loose.

They couldn't even leave us with a decent first half to build on.

Now we get Memphis and USF back to back? Good times.

Reaction Score
I just don't know what happened, from down 14-7 and driving for a TD (for what it's worth, the replay looked like it was a TD to me. The replay that showed the ball wiggle was really the receivers hand position changing), to missing a FG, to all hell breaking loose.

They couldn't even leave us with a decent first half to build on.

Now we get Memphis and USF back to back? Good times.

I'd say that squandered drive late 1st half(no TD catch after replay, missed FG) coupled with Cincy's late TD before the half completely destroyed whatever fight they had left and took all the air out of the balloon rest of the game. Could have been 14-10 at the half, possibly tied. The D had fought hard all 1st half despite giving up the 2 TDs at that point.

The 2nd half was just a light scrimmage for Cincy. They scored again in the blink of an eye to start the half and we were done. Frustrating as hell.

Reaction Score
Combined records of first 5 teams we played is 19-3. UCF and Cincinnati are still undefeated.

Yup, and Cuse almost pulled off the upset yesterday. Cuse is probably a legit top 10 team this year as is UCF.

In week one I watched Cincy physically manhandle UCLA at the Rose Bowl. Our schedule has been a killer.

Reaction Score
Yup, and Cuse almost pulled off the upset yesterday. Cuse is probably a legit top 10 team this year as is UCF.

In week one I watched Cincy physically manhandle UCLA at the Rose Bowl. Our schedule has been a killer.

It's a really bad UCLA team (just saying), but yeah, for where we are, our schedule has been extremely rough. Not another home game for a month with trips to Memphis & USF coming up. Not sure how much fight they'll have left come UMass.

Reaction Score
If we had played Florida State, Texas, Nebraska and UCLA this year instead of Cuse, UCF, Boise and Cincy our schedule would have been much, much easier.

That's a fact Jack.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

You're far too rational/logical to be posting here.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I’m a browns fan I have zen like patients with bad football

Oh geez. I'm amazed you even still follow football at all given the last few years of Saturdays and Sundays. But now I know where the world's biggest party will be thrown if UConn and the Browns both win championships in the same year. Ha!

Reaction Score
This.

Just about everyone agreed during the summer this year was going to be rough. And just about everyone agreed the way the schedule is we'd only have 1 win by now, and it was going to be the end of the schedule where hopefully we could win a few games.

I get the venting, it is very painful to watch. But every week does not need essays about the future of the program
This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish there could be a triple like button.
This over analysis of the shortcomings of this team because of a simple premise that they’re just young is.....
Alas, part of the human grief process is to vent.
Oh well.
I root for these kids because they are the future of the program. They need to be the freshmen that turn into seasoned upperclassmen which keeps the future freshmen on the bench to become seasoned- and so on and so on
It’s a process.

Reaction Score
Same excuses over and over. This is year two for Edsall and while they are really limited in talent chalking it up to we're supposed to look like the worst football team ever because of the talent level is pure BS. Nobody on the field knows what they're supposed to do. Their positioning stinks, ability to read a play stinks, take terrible angles, overpursue, can't recognize blitz packages etc. This looks like a high school team that has never been coached up.

And they try hard? They've already given up in several games this season.
Have to agree in large measure. These excuses are mostly BS. What fries me is that we are not just bad. Bad is one thing and understandable. Putrid at historical levels in another. They aren’t even in the same statistical realm as the second worst team in the FCS. Yes, they are young, undersized and inexperienced. Yes, they should be outmatched. But what doesn’t add up is the absolute inability to tackle and swarm, to look back for a ball in the air, to take good angles, to keep outside leverage, etc. The lack of basic aggression is pathetic.

Reaction Score
Half of this football team hasn't even been in a weight training and conditioning program for a year, another quarter has been in it for less than two years. Losing sucks but as far as this year goes, it simply doesn't matter whether we have 1 win or 5. Eyes on the prize here, we didn't become a big east champion overnight and it may take a couple of seasons for the American but there is no reason it can't be done. One thing I'm curious about is, has there been teams that have rebuilt and then went from 1-3 wins to 6-8 wins? Or are we doomed for one more year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Half of this football team hasn't even been in a weight training and conditioning program for a year, another quarter has been in it for less than two years. Losing sucks but as far as this year goes, it simply doesn't matter whether we have 1 win or 5. Eyes on the prize here, we didn't become a big east champion overnight and it may take a couple of seasons for the American but there is no reason it can't be done. One thing I'm curious about is, has there been teams that have rebuilt and then went from 1-3 wins to 6-8 wins? Or are we doomed for one more year.

I’m pretty sure there is a big difference between 1 win and 5 wins.

Unless you don’t think you need to recruit players or sell tickets. FYI - there isn’t a draft.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom