Can anybody make a case for someone other than AE for the Big East award? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Can anybody make a case for someone other than AE for the Big East award?

Reaction Score
if E goes pro, i see a stating 5 of Paige, Azzi, CW, AE and ONO. That starting 5 will have everything you need with scoring from all 5 positions, out side shooting, size, etc. Nika, AG, Ana and Caroline Ducharme will be the first 4 off the bench.

Reaction Score
if E goes pro, i see a stating 5 of Paige, Azzi, CW, AE and ONO. That starting 5 will have everything you need with scoring from all 5 positions, out side shooting, size, etc. Nika, AG, Ana and Caroline Ducharme will be the first 4 off the bench.
Good possibility .. let's see what shakes out in practice, head-to-head, eh?

Reaction Score
You are all assuming that Nika won't make a sophomore jump? Admittedly not all players do, but with her apparent drive and what we hear of her work ethic, I think it's reasonable to assume that she will improve going into next season. Azzi has a reputation of being a can't miss player and she very likely is, but she hasn't even had a college level practice yet. It might be a little early to anoint her, although Milford may think otherwise. ;)

In any case, there will be a lively debate about the starting five during the offseason, as there always is.

As for Saylor, she arrived on campus in the middle of the season. I imagine there was very little "teaching of he system" at that point. What she is learning she is absorbing herself. I doubt the coaching staff has much time for her at this point as they are focusing on preparing for the tournaments. As an analogy, Saylor is taking introductory courses via distance learning. The core seven (or eight) for the tournament are getting graduate level one on one in person instruction. That is as it should be at this point.

Miles and the young lady at Oregon State are playing because those teams had holes in their rosters that they had no one else to fill and, to their credit, they are making a positive impact for their teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How do you know Azzi will learn the system quickly enough to be playing right away? It is not Griffin's job to run the offense, just to know it.
And she doesn't know it!

Reaction Score
AE is a future WNBA player, as is Paige and maybe other Uconn players. . Are there any other future WNBA players in the Big East this year, regardless of what class? AE will no doubt win this award and may also be 1st team Freshman AA.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You are all assuming that Nika won't make a sophomore jump? Admittedly not all players do, but with her apparent drive and what we hear of her work ethic, I think it's reasonable to assume that she will improve going into next season. Azzi has a reputation of being a can't miss player and she very likely is, but she hasn't even had a college level practice yet. It might be a little early to anoint her, although Milford may think otherwise. ;)

In any case, there will be a lively debate about the starting five during the offseason, as there always is.

As for Saylor, she arrived on campus in the middle of the season. I imagine there was very little "teaching of he system" at that point. What she is learning she is absorbing herself. I doubt the coaching staff has much time for her at this point as they are focusing on preparing for the tournaments. As an analogy, Saylor is taking introductory courses via distance learning. The core seven (or eight) for the tournament are getting graduate level one on one in person instruction. That is as it should be at this point.

Miles and the young lady at Oregon State are playing because those teams had holes in their rosters that they had no one else to fill and, to their credit, they are making a positive impact for their teams.
Holes or not they still had to learn in a hurry and perform at a level acceptable to the coaches. Believe me, if they had not they would not be playing as much.

Reaction Score
Because of her size and accuracy and hustle, I am surprised she is not a starter....we have too many guards starting. Who would you bench? Nika would be my choice and have her second off the bench after Griffin.
We need points off the bench and she guarantees that for us. that is not Nika and Griffen isn a consistent enough. She could start and provide the intensity Nika brings but points off the bench are more important

Reaction Score

And, we can be pretty sure the players on the team today are VERY aware of who is coming in next summer. They will be fully aware of their reputations, skill sets and so on. I imagine they have played with or against them or in show case events with them. So, No Surprises! And that will motivate the current bunch to elevate their games to earn playing time. Should make everyone AND the TEAM better next season.

Reaction Score
Paige does not know the system better than Williams and Ono. Stop making stuff up. It took Gabby Williams one and a half years to learn the system. Was she a lesser talent because of that? Butler and Sadie Edwards left UConn and played well at their new schools because the system was not as difficult to master as UConn's. Did that make their talent less because they had trouble with UConn's?

Butler left because UConn didn’t have her grad program

Reaction Score
I didn't know that. I do know she is a very intelligent person who appears to travel to the beat of a different drummer. It also appeared she got the fast hook whenever she made a mistake. I don't know. So she get's a chance to play and leads the Country in rebounding (16.6 rpg) and double-doubles (33). She was Big East rookie of the year before coming to Uconn. Now she is playing professionally in Europe. My impression is her talents were wasted at Uconn, at a time when we were in need of being bigger down low. That picture never made sense to me. Another Espinosa-Hunter situation?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I know why she left. She played well when she left and I think she would have had a much better career at UConn if she had not gotten hurt her first season. She had gotten mentally and physically prepared but the thumb injury held her back. I cannot imagine her frustration after waiting all that time. The same thing happened to Anna this season. Fortunately, she has three years to get back on track.

Reaction Score
Anna will never be the player Natalie was at Georgetown and George Mason. Despite this, she will get more opportunity than Natalie did.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
where is Mir?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Anna will never be the player Natalie was at Georgetown and George Mason. Despite this, she will get more opportunity than Natalie did.

You're also comparing a 6'2" guard with a 6'5" center.

I hate that my apple will never be the banana that my banana is, I wish people would give it more opportunities to be a banana.

But with Tuck and Stewie dominating the front court, it was going to be hard for anyone to break through...

However, if you think Anna wouldn't be first team all conference if she transferred to Georgetown or George Mason, you're not paying attention.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom