Can anybody make a case for someone other than AE for the Big East award? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can anybody make a case for someone other than AE for the Big East award?

Reaction Score
Azzi solves that problem instantly. Edwards will start next year.
Yeah. I think Evina goes pro and the starters next year will be a traditional line up of Liv, Aaliyah, Anna, Chrystin, an Paige.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah. I think Evina goes pro and the starters next year will be a traditional line up of Liv, Aaliyah, Anna, Chrystin, an Paige.
Fudd will be starting, Anna and Williams will not.

Reaction Score
What makes you think that next season's freshmen will adapt to the UConn system any faster than Mir or Griffin has? Poffenbarger has been practicing for some time now and she has not learned the system well enough yet. Of course she will have much more time to learn next season but, there is no guarantee any of the freshmen will know the system well enough for Geno to trust them. You must not think that Griffin will improve. Chong did not play well enough to start regularly until her senior year. Maybe Griffin will do the same.
Almost 2 full years and Still can't run an offense! Azzi will be playing right away. That puts her at 8 or 9 man in the rotation if E stays! One of the other 3 will end up in the rotation and as far as Saylor is concerned she gets a pass until next year.

Reaction Score
Why are you bashing a bench player who brings a spark to almost every game?
Stating a fact and you see it in every game. Great for a spark off the bench defensively but that's all.

Reaction Score
Aubrey is doing her job, giving the starters a blow. Sometimes giving a spark also but rarely hurting the team. It's not fair to look at her as a weakness.
I don’t think anyone (very few, anyway) would say that she is anything but a solid contributor. The thing some people say about her is simply that she has some weaknesses in her game, as do most players. She is most definitely not a weakness for this team, though.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Griffin still can't run an offense, can't shoot and needs work on spacing on offense. Next year 2-4 of the Freshmen will get more minutes than her.
she sounds like Gabby Williams

Reaction Score
I see Muhl taking pressure off of Paige at the point saving some of the energy for Paige too utilize her talents in many different ways.

Reaction Score
If we had a better option, she wouldn't be starting now!
Yes, she would. Christyn plays the second most amount of minutes on the team and has never not been a starter since she's been here. There is absolutely no way she will come off the bench next year.

If Evina stays, we will have the same starting 5 next year and AE will again be, first off the bench, IMO. Muhl helps Bueckers mightily as Paige is best off the ball. She is to UCONN what Sabrina was to Oregon. Maite Cozorla and Minion Moore were the defacto PG's in 2019 & 2021, but all the offense went through Sabrina. This is the same here.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Almost 2 full years and Still can't run an offense! Azzi will be playing right away. That puts her at 8 or 9 man in the rotation if E stays! One of the other 3 will end up in the rotation and as far as Saylor is concerned she gets a pass until next year.
How do you know Azzi will learn the system quickly enough to be playing right away? It is not Griffin's job to run the offense, just to know it.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Because they are better players? Why are Paige and Muhl starting? And Edwards is good enough to start. I think she sits at the beginning to prevent early foul trouble.
Being a better player does not mean a player will learn a system sooner than one who has less talent. You need a better explanation than that. Understanding a system quicker makes more sense and being a better player does not make understanding easier.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Being a better player does not mean a player will learn a system sooner than one who has less talent. You need a better explanation than that. Understanding a system quicker makes more sense and being a better player does not make understanding easier.
Yeah, it does. One reason better players are better is because they have quicker reaction time than others. That comes from knowing the game instinctively, they don't have to "think" what the right play is, they just do it. Why does Paige know "the system" better than anyone on the team, even the 3rd year players? Because she's a better player. So is Fudd. Geno didn't become Geno by letting talent become subservient to "the system".

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
As a coach's kid whose BB IQ is in the same range as Bueckers, it wouldn't surprise me if Fudd already knows the UConn offense as well or better than most of the current freshmen. As she attends some of these games, I'd bet she focuses on where to be and how to read and react off the different sets.
You are missing something here. It wouldn't surprise you but yet you don't know. I believe all recruits focus on where to be and how to read and react but it is different when they get on the court and have to do it without thinking. Also, most importantly, can she handle the rigors of UConn practices and have her legs hold up? Will the way she practices be satisfactory to the coaching staff? It's not always as simple as you seem to think.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yes. She would. Christyn plays the second most amount of minutes on the team and has never not been a starter since she's been here. There is absolutely no way she will come off the bench next year.

If Evina stays, we will have the same starting 5 next year and AE will again be, first off the bench.
Yeah, no. You even admit Williams has had no competition for playing time her entire three years. I don't think she "earned" the position as much as held it by default. Maybe the comp next year will get her to improve.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Yeah, it does. One reason better players are better is because they have quicker reaction time than others. That comes from knowing the game instinctively, they don't have to "think" what the right play is, they just do it. Why does Paige know "the system" better than anyone on the team, even the 3rd year players? Because she's a better player. So is Fudd. Geno didn't become Geno by letting talent become subservient to "the system".
Paige does not know the system better than Williams and Ono. Stop making stuff up. It took Gabby Williams one and a half years to learn the system. Was she a lesser talent because of that? Butler and Sadie Edwards left UConn and played well at their new schools because the system was not as difficult to master as UConn's. Did that make their talent less because they had trouble with UConn's?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Paige does not know the system better than Williams and Ono. Stop making stuff up.
Paige is the system! She knows where Williams and Ono should be better than they do! That you say she doesn't is revealing.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Paige is the system! She knows where Williams and Ono should be better than they do! That you say she doesn't is revealing.
You give Paige too much credit.

Reaction Score
I see Muhl taking pressure off of Paige at the point saving some of the energy for Paige too utilize her talents in many different ways.
I see Azzi having that role next year, but the fact that she can knock down shots will make her better then Muhl.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
You give "the system" too much credit.
Regarding the system. Poffenbarger came to UConn after being taught by her mother who is a coach so I am sure Saylor has a high basketball IQ. Olivia Miles and Talia von Oelhoffen started at their schools about the same time Saylor came to UConn. However, von Oelhoffen is getting a lot of playing time and Miles is running the ND offense. Why, because they not only joined a team that had space for them but also because they quickly learned the system. There is no way, even if the spots were available, either would be playing as much for UConn. All three players are very talented players but the UConn system is much harder to learn than ND or Oregon State's. If Saylor was at either of those schools she would be playing more than she is at UConn. They have all had a similar amount of practice and I believe Saylor's BB IQ is just as high as theirs so saying Saylor has not had much time to learn does not fly because they have not had much time either. Yes, the system makes a big difference. Now, I am done with it.

Reaction Score
I see Azzi having that role next year, but the fact that she can knock down shots will make her better then Muhl.
Azzi needs to bring her game, not her name, next year .. and then, and only then, will the chips fall where they may, eh?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom