Campus Celebrations Went a Little Too Far | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Campus Celebrations Went a Little Too Far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We got away with a lot of Diablo stuff back in the 80's. Today there are cameras everywhere. I'm afraid some of these rookies will be in deep doodoo and their parents aren't going to be happy about it. Not so Happy Easter.

Reaction Score
It's dumb. UConn needs to find a way to provide a better outlet. The lack of a clear celebration point on campus is a problem.

Lawrence does a good job with KU, blocks off the main street to cars, and the cops ask no questions about what's in a Solo Cup (but no bottles or cans). The result is everybody gets to celebrate and go a little crazy without breaking stuff.
This makes a lot of sense. Even though there's still going to be issues and a cost of preparation and security, it's probably better than scattered outbreaks of adrenaline and alcohol fueled by the ones with the absolute worst judgment trying to "impress" their friends. Win or lose set something up in a safe space with music or whatever helps people blow off steam. Doesn't help that the game ends so late in the east.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Let people be false outraged. They don’t really care. Drunk, adrenaline filled kids broke some stuff, that’ll be fixed in no time. Hope that kid is okay though.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Let's let young people be stupid, our generations were flat out morons. Young people today already have way too big of a microscope on them as it is.
There is plenty of opportunity to be stupid without destroying your own schools property because you are happy your team won a title.

Pointless. And doubly dumb because they film themselves doing it! Want to be dumb? Do some drugs and hurt yourself not the school, skip classes, drive to Guatemala instead of midterms . Whatever . Destroying the property of the school your parents pay for or you pay for yourself via loans that will have you in debt for next 30 years is ridiculous.

I’m all for kids making mistakes. That’s how you learn. Young people are young people, I dont feel any worse ( or better) for them than any other generation before them . Every successive generation has challenges the previous Havent faced. ( except boomers, boomers suck ;-)

Reaction Score
Seriously, hope this kid is okay.

Mob mentality when it takes over its dangerous. As bad as it looks... these are handful of bad students. Most kids were not part of it but obviously none of them are gonna try to get involved to stop it either

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Let's let young people be stupid, our generations were flat out morons. Young people today already have way too big of a microscope on them as it is.
Stupid enough to take down a lamppost and use it as a battering ram to get into the student union?

This is what I'm talking about. Why wasn't it open already? Good Lord UConn, use your brains. I wish the old ROTC hanger or Memorial was still on Campus. You open that up, maybe have a DJ and turn it into a party. You have to plan for this. Need to contain the worst by turning a blind eye to the little things.

Reaction Score
There is plenty of opportunity to be stupid without destroying your own schools property because you are happy your team won a title.

Pointless. And doubly dumb because they film themselves doing it! Want to be dumb? Do some drugs and hurt yourself not the school, skip classes, drive to Guatemala instead of midterms . Whatever . Destroying the property of the school your parents pay for or you pay for yourself via loans that will have you in debt for next 30 years is ridiculous.

I’m all for kids making mistakes. That’s how you learn. Young people are young people, I do t feel any worse for them than any other generation before them . Every successive generation has challenges the previous Havent faced. ( except boomers, boomers suck ;-)
It never makes sense destroying your own neighborhood for whatever reasons but people have done it forever and will continue to do it.

Young people/college students have always been stupid, I say we continue to let them be stupid. I find this generation to be more tame overall than previous generations.

Reaction Score
It's dumb. UConn needs to find a way to provide a better outlet. The lack of a clear celebration point on campus is a problem.

Lawrence does a good job with KU, blocks off the main street to cars, and the cops ask no questions about what's in a Solo Cup (but no bottles or cans). The result is everybody gets to celebrate and go a little crazy without breaking stuff.
In 2011 they had a massive stage with a DJ and light shows. It was a huge party. There was still destruction.

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
We once started a bonfire in the Fraternity Quad just so we could steel the fire truck.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

I’m all for kids making mistakes. That’s how you learn. Young people are young people, I dont feel any worse ( or better) for them than any other generation before them . Every successive generation has challenges the previous Havent faced. ( except boomers, boomers suck ;-)
Oh I agree.

I was in line for BBQ in Houston on Sunday, started talking to these two middle aged guys about the Dead and how Englishtown 77’ was one of their first shows (shout out Englishtown 77’ Eyes and Estimated Prophet). Said he was dehydrated from all the booze so he started drinking the LSD-stuffed kool-aid getting passed around. That sounds like fun.

And then he went home, built a treehouse for his kid next to the river in his backyard, and used it so he could trip balls with his buddies to escape when his wife had friends over for setback.

Now that’s safe fun!

Reaction Score

This happens in the general population too. Must be something wicked in the mind. why is it that every-time there are national championships (pro/college) there are always these riot situations? not just in the USA, but internationally also. I really don't get it either.

But I think it has something do with mob mentality. Its like people feel more entitled to break the rules when they are part of a group. There is nothing else that I can think of that can explain this crazy behavior. Ofcourse - add the booze and drugs and its a time bomb

Reaction Score
That’s it? Hell when I was there we burned half the furniture in the Jungle.
I remember I had a teacher in high school telling us how one night he was walking back to his dorm, the Jungle, and a couch that had been set on fire landed about 20 feet away from him. One of my friends asked why the students did that and he just replied, "It was a Saturday night."

Reaction Score
The older we get, the less patience we have for these things. But for those that were lucky enough to experience a championship as a student, we saw similar (or worse) things. I don't think it is reasonable to expect a group of 10,000 drunk 18-22 year old students to all celebrate safely and then go home right after the game.

That said, people did get hospitalized with injuries. Of course nobody appreciates ripping down lamp posts and using them as battering rams through campus buildings, but I feel like we can brush those off as business expenses. People getting sent to the hospital is more serious, and I hope everyone is alright

Reaction Score
New generation is too soft. I remember being on campus during celebrations and the players themselves were throwing furniture into huge fires in the Jungle. I believe the players with the fans tried to throw a Pac Man arcade machine into the fire when they won the NIT. LoL.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
For an NIT win when I was there.
I was in Fairfield dorm. the decrepit love seat my grandmother gave me that we hauled up so many stairs was in that fire. I screamed how stupid that was then when my floor tossed it off roof. We all had memories on it ;-) …..
It never makes sense destroying your own neighborhood for whatever reasons but people have done it forever and will continue to do it.

Young people/college students have always been stupid, I say we continue to let them be stupid. I find this generation to be more tame overall than previous generations.
They aren’t. Unless you haven’t been paying attention to the spring break shutdowns/curfews in Florida . ( forget Mexico, that’s a death wish)

Listen. I was a wild kid in 80s and early 90’s . Not violent but wild. But I figure it’s karma that I have a 21.5 year old daughter and a 0.5 year old daughter. I was dumb but never stupid. Does that make sense? I can’t believe I even need to think about this still! What I’m seeing now is dumb AND stupid. Doesn’t need to be.

Reaction Score
I was in Fairfield dorm. the decrepit love seat my grandmother gave me that we hauled up so many stairs was in that fire. I screamed how stupid that was then when my floor tossed it off roof. We all had memories on it ;-) …..

They aren’t. Unless you haven’t been paying attention to the spring break shutdowns/curfews in Florida . ( forget Mexico, that’s a death wish)

Listen. I was a wild kid in 80s and early 90’s . Not violent but wild. But I figure it’s karma that I have a 21.5 year old daughter and a 0.5 year old daughter. I was dumb but never stupid. Does that make sense? I can’t believe I even need to think about this still! What I’m seeing now is dumb AND stupid. Doesn’t need to be.
What I've seen here is really tame compared to '99. I was there with the flipped over cars and people throwing beer bottles at the cops in riot gear. I never partook in the destruction and violent type stuff but it was a feature in my college days. Most of the people doing the really dumb destructive stuff back then were young people who weren't students. As for Florida, it's college kids doing dumb stuff during the day but the truly violent criminal stuff at night is violent criminals using spring break as an opportunity. Those aren't college kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24
Top Bottom