Cam Spencer Commits to UConn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Cam Spencer Commits to UConn

Reaction Score
Castle is right around AJ's height and Cam only and an inch smaller than Hawkins. Pretty close in height all around. I even seen Castle listed at 6'7" which is taller than AJ so would balance out the 1 inch difference with Hawkins.
Clingan alone starting makes our lineup that much bigger than last year!

Reaction Score
Watching his highlights again... I like his ability to get to the FT line and make plays especially. Solid passer and has a floater/mid-range in his bag when he needs it.
Seems like he’s been watching some Luka, he’s got that nice spin fadeaway off one foot in the midrange.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Another team first player! Great skill sets. Interviews like Karaban. Hurley's Timberlake/Spencer outcome is and will be the Hurley's version of JC's 'sh Kentucky' we got the better Lamb.

Welcome Cam. You took the suspense out of your recruitment Spencer by committing so quickly for which we are very grateful.

This is the UConn way! I have spoken!

Reaction Score
Just to add some more context here as to a better fit/player...

Cam / Timberlake stats:
Career 3pt %: 40.5% / 37.9%
Career FT %: 86.6% / 79.2%
Career Reb: 4.1 / 3.9
Career Ast: 3.1 / 1.6
Career Stl: 1.6 / 0.8
2022 OBPM: 5.2 / 2.0
2022 DBPM: 5.2 / -0.5

Cam has better stats across the board, AND managed to play at that level in the Big 10.

Oh, and Kansas paid $250k for the worse version of that lmao
Nice to see it side by side & I agree Spencer is a safer bet, we’ve seen it play out in the power 5. He should fit in nicely. As far as money goes, who knows. Bruce Feldman was on Russillos podcast and he’s as plugged in as anyone when it comes to NIL and the college landscape. He said he estimates only 20% of the NIL deals are true to the value in which is being reported. We know money is out there and being exchanged, it’s just hard to know the exact details of these deals & how much is truly being paid out. Feldman believes most of them are inflated and not being paid out to the “agreed to term.”

Reaction Score
Is this his COVID year or could we have him for 2 seasons. I see he played 5 games in 20-21 was that a redshirt season?
It was a redshirt season but it was also the Covid season, so only counts once. Just 1 year of eligibility left

Reaction Score
At 6-foot-4, Spencer is more than just a shooter. He averaged two steals per game for the Scarlet Knights last season and dished out 3.1 assists in his first season with the program after three years at Loyola-Maryland. The transition to a higher level of competition hardly seemed to bother Spencer; he shot 43.4% from beyond the arc on 4.9 attempts per game for Rutgers while averaging 13.2 points per game.

Ranked behind Joe Girard in their ranking of transfers. That is LOL hilarious.

Reaction Score
At 6-foot-4, Spencer is more than just a shooter. He averaged two steals per game for the Scarlet Knights last season and dished out 3.1 assists in his first season with the program after three years at Loyola-Maryland. The transition to a higher level of competition hardly seemed to bother Spencer; he shot 43.4% from beyond the arc on 4.9 attempts per game for Rutgers while averaging 13.2 points per game.

Ranked behind Joe Girard in their ranking of transfers. That is LOL hilarious.

Was just going to post this. Timberlake isn’t listed in their top 50.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
This is great news; for at least the past year, the coaching staff has done a phenomenal job picking up recruits and transfers. But, being somewhat pessimistic, I just pray that everyone stays healthy throughout the season.

Always something to worry about..... it has derailed us before, and the UConn women have been flooded with injuries past several years. But that is out of Hurleys control.

Reaction Score
Hurley's success at integrating transfers like Newton, Alleyne, Joey C, and Diarra, even guys only expected to be here 1 year, surely played a big role in convincing Spencer that we have a great program in place to allow him as a newcomer to accomplish what he wants individually and as a team.

Reaction Score
Playing with a big like DC who is a willing passer should also give him tons of open looks from 3. Will be fun to watch that inside out game develop

Reaction Score
Amazingly that is one of the perceptions about us that nudged Griffiths toward Rutgers, or so I’ve heard. This is a high powered NBA style offense when run properly.

Doubt it. No one goes to play for Pikiell because of his offensive approach.

Reaction Score
I want Kansas now. Pre season tournaments. Let's just dominate again. Who in our starting lineup couldn't score 15 a game immediately? I assume 2 freshman outside of castle are going to be good. If diarra ever stopped doing weird stuff and made a free throw. We are better pre season this year than last. Big east reffing is our biggest nemesis.

Reaction Score
Lurking on the Miami board they are pissed. They’re calling Hurley a hypocrite, since he supposedly bragged about not building a team on NIL players. Hurley has added pieces but hasn’t built a team of those guys.

Cry, Canes. He didn’t brag about anything. He stated a fact. Miami bought that team last year, and it served them well. Not as well as UConn’s recruiting and development but pretty well.

Reaction Score
According to AS’s combine numbers DC is prob closer to 7 inches taller
Clingan is also likely shorter than his listed height by about the same amount as Sanogo. The difference is probably 5 inches.

Reaction Score
Doubt it. No one goes to play for Pikiell because of his offensive approach.
It’s fine doubt it all you want, but it’s true. That and the fact that Gavin’s dad has had a long relationship with Pikiell dating back to when they were schoolboys. I knew the kid was never coming to Storrs.

Reaction Score
It’s fine doubt it all you want, but it’s true. That and the fact that Gavin’s dad has had a long relationship with Pikiell dating back to when they were schoolboys. I knew the kid was never coming to Storrs.

The relationship thing is completely accurate. Pikiell is a great guy, a great defensive coach. His teams compete and play hard. Guys don’t play for Pikiell, with what his Rutgers teams have done offensively, because they have doubts about another coach’s ability to coach offense.

Reaction Score
The relationship thing is completely accurate. Pikiell is a great guy, a great defensive coach. His teams compete and play hard. Guys don’t play for Pikiell, with what his Rutgers teams have done offensively, because they have doubts about another coach’s ability to coach offense.
My source indicated that that was a huge reason why Gavin is going there. But another concern, rightly or wrongly at the time, was UConn’s (at the time) perceived plodding and grinding style of play, defensive identity, and concerns around whether our offense would best showcase his skills. Based on what Jordan Hawkins has done since, I’d imagine that that would be an area that they got wrong. But comfort level with a coach that your dad has known since the 1980s is difficult to overcome.

Reaction Score

Something else you just have to LOVE about Danny Hurley - the man exudes confidence. And then everyone had his back and brought us Championship #5 in dominating fashion this year. This has been his vision from Day 1, and he made good on it.

A number of you have commented on what a great job our coaching staff has been doing, and how amazing it is that we lost zero assistant coaches this off-season. I 100% agree.

In fact, it is time someone came right out and said it. We have THE #1 COACHING STAFF IN THE COUNTRY RIGHT NOW. Period. End of story. There is not a staff in this country I would switch out for this group. Not one.

Dan, Kimani, Tom, Luke... the BEST staff in the country, bar none. The support group surrounding these 4 men is also incredibly strong as well. We are amazingly lucky to have this group. Amazingly lucky. Cherish this, my friends. Because we have been lucky enough to have Calhoun and his great staffs and now this one. We are truly blessed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My source indicated that that was a huge reason why Gavin is going there. But another concern, rightly or wrongly at the time, was UConn’s (at the time) perceived plodding and grinding style of play, defensive identity, and concerns around whether our offense would best showcase his skills.
So you are saying he has questionable decision making?

Reaction Score
I think this is the first year we truly saw Hurley's vision on offense come to life. His first 4 years weren't great offensively because he just didn't have the pieces to be elite on that end. Pretty clear now that he's figured that part out when it comes to roster construction.

Reaction Score
So you are saying he has questionable decision making?
No I’m saying their perception of what the offense could be was not the case. But we also probably had the wrong guys running it a year or two ago as well. Do you not recall all of the 51-49 and 60-57 slugfests that took place for a couple of years? The relationship with the head coach was the primary factor. And Pikiell is a good man who is running a very good program. It’s never a mistake to choose primarily based off a personal relationship like that.

Reaction Score
I think this is the first year we truly saw Hurley's vision on offense come to life. His first 4 years weren't great offensively because he just didn't have the pieces to be elite on that end. Pretty clear now that he's figured that part out when it comes to roster construction.
This. Plus bringing the right guys in the portal matters. UConn runs an NBA style offense. But you need to have the right players running it for it to run well.

Reaction Score
No I’m saying their perception of what the offense could be was not the case. But we also probably had the wrong guys running it a year or two ago as well. Do you not recall all of the 51-49 and 60-57 slugfests that took place for a couple of years? The relationship with the head coach was the primary factor. And Pikiell is a good man who is running a very good program. It’s never a mistake to choose primarily based off a personal relationship like that.
I wouldn't call Rutgers a "very good program". They've won 1 tournament game since the 1980's. They still suck...lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom