Cam Reddish Top 5 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cam Reddish Top 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
What sucks is that there's not a brief YouTube clip of Ollie saying, "We're gonna win this game," when being interviewed before going into the locker room at halftime of the Villanova game.

Who posting here was thinking during the 2nd half and the following games, "Yeah, but they're not his players."?

Stand up and be counted, just as I can stand up and be counted saying last year stunk, the year before was meh, and 2014-15 was crummy.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That's really all you think of Villanova? Well when you boil everything down to 4 titles 5 final fours vs 2 titles we win, then I guess I can see why some like yourself are so complacent with the current mediocrity.

Only 10 years or so to go before others can start saying they have more than 4 titles, then we can start being worried right Upstater?
99.99% of teams in the country would love to boil, roast, broil and fry that resume.
Concern is one thing. Everyone is concerned. Panic is another level. And the need to have everyone join the panic club is silly in this situation. Just as trying to get those obsessesd on a bleak future to hold out hope or keep the panic to themselves is silly.

If the future turns out the way you fear I'll suffer the consequences at that time. If it's in my power to effect change that would be entirely different of course. And even then I've learned not to suffer fools. But the present and future of UConn bb is not in my control so dreading outcomes is a wasted and foolish endeavor imo

Reaction Score
It's Villanova. Not Duke. When you see Villanova in your bracket and you're a 7 or 8 seed, you're licking your chops. Like having an invitation to the Sweet 16. Free pass.

Were thrilled if we even make the tourney these days (like this upcoming season). The KO defenders point to our loss to Kansas in the 2nd round as some great accomplishment.

While Nova has disappointed more often than not in the tourney lately, they are in it every single year and have been a 1 or 2 seed a bunch lately.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
The KO defenders point to our loss to Kansas in the 2nd round as some great accomplishment.

You can't say that that loss was a disappointment... not a great accomplishment but that Kansas team was loaded that year. By no means a disappointing way to end that season

Reaction Score
You can't say that that loss was a disappointment... not a great accomplishment but that Kansas team was loaded that year. By no means a disappointing way to end that season

I agree. That wasn't my point. Upstater was ripping on villanova for bowing out early every year. And I was simply saying that, at a bare minimum, at least they make it every single year. And are usually a very high seed (lately). He was knocking them for losing in the 2nd round and I was pointing out that a lot of posters on here view our 2nd round loss as a big accomplishment.

Although I still contend that with our roster and the state of the conference that year, there is no way we should have been a 9 seed in the first place. And therefore should never have put ourselves in position to play a 1 seed in the 2nd round.

So from that viewpoint, the season was a disappointment. We had a lot of talent and experience on that team to have the season we did.

AAAAAND this thread has officially gone the way of the last one, which is exactly what @temery wanted to avoid. I blame myself for bringing up Villanova v UConn post title bump in the first place. sorry tom.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I agree. That wasn't my point. Upstater was ripping on villanova for bowing out early every year. And I was simply saying that, at a bare minimum, at least they make it every single year. And are usually a very high seed (lately). He was knocking them for losing in the 2nd round and I was pointing out that a lot of posters on here view our 2nd round loss as a big accomplishment.

Although I still contend that with our roster and the state of the conference that year, there is no way we should have been a 9 seed in the first place. And therefore should never have put ourselves in position to play a 1 seed in the 2nd round.

So from that viewpoint, the season was a disappointment. We had a lot of talent and experience on that team to have the season we did.

AAAAAND this thread has officially gone the way of the last one, which is exactly what @temery wanted to avoid. I blame myself for bringing up Villanova v UConn post title bump in the first place. sorry tom.

Yeah....a 9 seed for that team was absolutely not an accomplishment.

And it's brought against Nova because in their situation they're in the role of Kansas, except losing.

Reaction Score
Were thrilled if we even make the tourney these days (like this upcoming season). The KO defenders point to our loss to Kansas in the 2nd round as some great accomplishment.

While Nova has disappointed more often than not in the tourney lately, they are in it every single year and have been a 1 or 2 seed a bunch lately.

They lost in the first weekend 6 times since 2010!!! Many times as a 1 and 2 seed.

In the 27 years since 1990, they made it past only 3 times! 3!!!!!

Come'on, you have to do better than that.

Reaction Score
Fair enough take. This season will tell us quite a bit.
Be careful with the use of "us". Some people have already gone on record as saying this might be a bad season because of the sanctions and injured players being rusty. The have already started making excuses. This season will tell them nothing, unless it is good. They are weakly holding up 2018-2019 as the year all will be right again...unless it isn't...where they will create more excuses.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The KO defenders point to our loss to Kansas in the 2nd round as some great accomplishment. .[/QUOTE]

No. You say the past three years were horrible. That was not a horrible end to the season. This year we were decimated by injuries a nd at time, played valiantly in spite of that.

You say our recruiting has sucked for years. Our recruiting was good, last year was great and this year sucked.

It's just hard to agree with people who see the worst in all things UConn. We are in a bad place but people should wait before they kick dirt on UConn's grave.

Reaction Score
4 national championships in 20 years. 5 final fours. Countless final 8s. And we're comparing ourselves to a team that rarely if ever gets out of the first weekend. Crazy stuff.

You're wrong on this one. "Other than the national championship, Villanova has been knocked out in the second round almost every year" sounds a lot like the arguments anti-Ollie people are making right now. Oh yeah, except for that one year where they pummeled everyone en route to a national championship. And the time before that in 2009 when they went to the final four. Or the time before that when they went to the elite eight in 2006 and the sweet sixteen in 2005. Let's also not take into account the fact that they've run into some under-seeded teams (UConn '14, Wisconsin '17) and that virtually all of their losses have come down to the wire. There is also the fun fact that from '05-'14 they lost in the tournament to the eventual champions four times. But they're under-achievers.

Look - the tournament is tough. Coach K is arguably the best ever and he has two of the worst losses I've seen a college coach take in the tournament. If he were Cal he'd have been absolutely destroyed by this board. Duke went six years between final fours. UNC went six years between final fours. Louisville went a lot longer than that and we know the troubles Kentucky had before Cal.

I'll grant you Nova has lost more than their share to lower seeded teams, but any holistic measure indicates that they're absolutely, 100%, an elite program.

Reaction Score
4 national championships in 20 years. 5 final fours. Countless final 8s. And we're comparing ourselves to a team that rarely if ever gets out of the first weekend. Crazy stuff.
Should be five national championships. The year we lost to George Mason we absolutely had the best team in the country by any metric you can think of, except the scoreboard. Lol

Reaction Score
Should be five national championships. The year we lost to George Mason we absolutely had the best team in the country by any metric you can think of, except the scoreboard. Lol

While we had an extremely talented team in 06, we were not playing well at the end of the season and in the NCAAT and were getting exposed by only having one ball handler. I think if we got by George Mason we get beat by Florida. The team that will always haunt is the 09 team when Dyson got hurt. That team at full strength was a top 2 team in the country with Carolina and would've made for a classic National Championship game.

Reaction Score
You're wrong on this one. "Other than the national championship, Villanova has been knocked out in the second round almost every year" sounds a lot like the arguments anti-Ollie people are making right now. Oh yeah, except for that one year where they pummeled everyone en route to a national championship. And the time before that in 2009 when they went to the final four.

????? Huh?

You even quoted where I wrote, "Other than the national championship..." So how did you counter that statement by pointing out they won a national championship? 2009 you wrote? I wrote, since 2010, they were knocked out the first weekend 6 times.

My whole response, by the way, is in reaction to the idea that Villanova has outperformed UConn over that period. I'm not getting into some phony debate about Nova being elite. Give me UConn's record since 2010 or heck even 2009 each and every time!

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

2009 too. Losing to that mich st team is indefensible.

Reaction Score
While we had an extremely talented team in 06, we were not playing well at the end of the season and in the NCAAT and were getting exposed by only having one ball handler. I think if we got by George Mason we get beat by Florida. The team that will always haunt is the 09 team when Dyson got hurt. That team at full strength was a top 2 team in the country with Carolina and would've made for a classic National Championship game.
Also what impact would winning in 06 have had at locking up Durant?

Reaction Score
????? Huh?

You even quoted where I wrote, "Other than the national championship..." So how did you counter that statement by pointing out they won a national championship? 2009 you wrote? I wrote, since 2010, they were knocked out the first weekend 6 times.

My whole response, by the way, is in reaction to the idea that Villanova has outperformed UConn over that period. I'm not getting into some phony debate about Nova being elite. Give me UConn's record since 2010 or heck even 2009 each and every time!

Your tone throughout this thread has suggested that you're somehow offended that we're even being compared to them. Maybe I'm misinterpreting you. I also think you're being more than a bit theatrical when you label them as a "free pass to the second weekend."

Factually you are correct that they've only been past the first weekend once since 2009. It's also factually correct that we've only been past the first weekend twice since that span, however, I think that would be a bad argument to make when assessing our program just as it is when people try to downplay what Nova has done. It's a fragmented and convenient way to frame the situation.

I'm sure everyone here would take our history over theirs, but if you're trying to hone in on a happy medium between the past and the present - especially when questions surround our coach - then I can certainly see how, at this time, one would consider Nova to be the better program. They've won about a trillion more games than us since the original Big East evaporated, they've won a title more recently than us, and they're in a superior conference. If we're looking for a program on that list that doesn't belong, I'd argue that UCLA is closer to it than Nova.

With regards to Reddish, and recruits like him, I would imagine the primary concern with Nova is that they're history of putting players in the league - especially early entrants - isn't what it is with the other four schools. They're also not the brands UCLA, Kentucky, and Duke are. That's a concern with us, too, but with Ollie being a new coach, he might catch more leeway on that front, especially when he's already landed Napier in the first round as the head man and Kemba, Lamb, and Drummond as an assistant.

As with most recruits, it'll probably be a combination of factors. We're attractive in some areas and not others. Kentucky and Duke would appear to check most of the boxes, but this kid could be wired differently. I'm definitely happy to have a shot.

Reaction Score
This thread is for thoughts about the Cam Reddish recruitment, no?

No where did you get that Vike?

If we started a "who like the Red Sox or Yankees" rampage right now it would go on a 30-50 page spree until he said he was ready to announce.

Reaction Score
Your tone throughout this thread has suggested that you're somehow offended that we're even being compared to them. Maybe I'm misinterpreting you. I also think you're being more than a bit theatrical when you label them as a "free pass to the second weekend."

It's not really a mystery. People have been saying that Villanova has surpassed UConn.

Reaction Score

The disappointment isn't that the team lost to Kansas.

The disappointment is that a team with that much talent (Adams, Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton, Miller) lost so many games that their resume was only worthy of a 9 seed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom