Calling BS on Bilas "ACC best collection of coaches ever" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Calling BS on Bilas "ACC best collection of coaches ever"

Reaction Score
Sure I agree baseball has more metrics. I admit the comparison isn't totally valid, just pointing out that having more wins or titles doesn't automatically mean that coach is better. If K took the UConn job in 1980 instead of Duke, do you think his numbers are roughly the same, better, or worse? If you think worse, then that would mean that Calhoun had a harder road than K and that should be taken into account, not just the raw numbers.

That case is built on what either of us "suppose might happen" in a 35 year hypothetical. Who the hell knows, quite frankly. Based on how things played out, K recruited better and won more, and both took their programs to previously unimaginable heights.

Reaction Score
There are also 67% more teams in the ACC now than there were during the Big East glory days.

I think this was the ENTIRE coaching roster for the 1987 Big East season:

Jim Calhoun (UConn)
Lou Carneseca (St Johns)
Jim Beheim (Syracuse)
John Thompson (Georgetown)
Rollie Mossimino (Villanova)
Rick Pitino (Providence)
PJ Carlisimo (Seton Hall)
Jim O'Brien (BCU)
Paul Evans (Pitt)

When your second worst coach is Jim O'Brien (who went to the Final Four as a coach), your coaching talent is ridiculous.

If you just compare the top couple of the old Big East to the top couple of the current ACC--there is a basis for comparison. But if you take the entire coaching roster of a conference, no one will ever rival what the Big East had in the glory days. Just look at that list. It is absolutely ridiculous!:cool:
thank you... totally forgot Pitino's time at PC overlapped as well.
Case closed.... Old Big East will forever be the greatest BB show on earth!!!!
(until Uconn lands in ACC or BIG)... ;)

C

chiller99.5

This ACC deal espn has been harping is all based on some of the crap teams in our conference.Their worst team "program" not team is Boston College U...We trot out Eastern Carolina and the convo is ver,,,btw dont confuse recruiter with coach...K collects more Mickey D 5 stars in a season than Calhoun and KO in a career

Reaction Score
It doesn't sound like Brey thinks that the current ACC is better than the Big East was. He said on his 'radio show' that Coach K and the ACC "are so jealous of the old Big East...they are flat-out, so jealous...we were kicking their butt with bids, they were so distracted by us, that's all they did was talk about the Big East at their league meetings."

(Clip is about 1 minute.)

Reaction Score
No, it's not. Recruiting is a major part of the job, and Coach K is great at it. Calhoun was a great recruiter too, albeit in a much different way.

Not for nothing, but Coach K is a big reason why Duke recruits itself in 2017. They had some history before he got there, but he took that program to the next level.

I hate that you guys are making me defend K. Yuck.
He also gives jobs to players families, and god knows what else. Next you'll be telling us how well UNC takes care of the academics of their athletes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom