Calling BS on Bilas "ACC best collection of coaches ever" | The Boneyard

Calling BS on Bilas "ACC best collection of coaches ever"

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I don't know the reference or what was said, but looking at K-Pitino-Roy-Boeheim vs. Calhoun-Thompson-Boeheim-any others, that's a pretty tough to compete with, top heavy group of ACC coaches...

Reaction Score
Bilas is pretty unbearably sanctimonious these days but he's not wrong here.

Reaction Score
I agree with Bilas here, but I disagree with the notion that the ACC today is better than the Big East in its prime.

Bilas has quickly faded as one of the best analysts out there, though.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Pretty much a toss-up
As much as I would say JC is the best - he and K are a toss-up
J Thompson Sr and Pitino/Williams are toss ups
The picker is the picker
So that leaves Lou C and Rollie and Huggie Bear vs Williams/Pitino

Reaction Score
Pretty much a toss-up
The picker is the picker

Huggie wasn't even in the same era as Lou and Rollie. Either way I'd take Ol Roy and Slick Rick over any of those 3.

Bennett is also arguably the best under 50 coach in the nation.

Also, objectively speaking, and as much as it hurt me to say, it's pretty generous calling JC = with Coach K.

Reaction Score
They have a really good group of coaches. 10 years ago they had guys like Dino Gaudio, Oliver Purnell, Dave Leiato (sorry Dave!), Seth Greenburg, Frank Haith, Al Skinner, Sidney Lowe and a Gary Williams who quit trying 15 years ago. A true murderers row of terrible.

Reaction Score
Pretty much a toss-up
The picker is the picker
K vs JC was answered by the Grayson Allen debacle. I still can't imagine a JC player ever having that kind of tantrum on the bench. It just would never happen. And if it did, JC would not just sit idle like K and his inept assistants.

Reaction Score
Huggie wasn't even in the same era as Lou and Rollie. Either way I'd take Ol Roy and Slick Rick over any of those 3.

Bennett is also arguably the best under 50 coach in the nation.

Also, objectively speaking, and as much as it hurt me to say, it's pretty generous calling JC = with Coach K.

JC took a Yankee conference agricultural school and turned it into a national powerhouse borderline blue blood while winning 3 NCs. It's the single greatest program building job in college basketball history. He also did this in a conference that was arguably the best basketball conference going against the likes of Georgetown, Syracuse, Villanova, St johns, etc and without the top talent and consistent influx of McDonald AA like coach K.

K is an amazing coach but he would have never built UConn into what JC did or won 3 titles here while vice versa JC could have enjoyed similar success at Duke

Reaction Score
I agree that Calhoun accomplished the greatest program building job of all time, and I'm not sure Coach K would've accomplished the same at UConn.

But K also has 5 National Championships and 12 Final Fours in an era that's far more competitive than the one Wooden coached in. I think Calhoun's on the college coach Mount Rushmore, but with 3 NCs and 4 FFs it's tough to argue he's better than K all time.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Things will be interesting for the ACC in the near future.

Reaction Score
JC took a Yankee conference agricultural school and turned it into a national powerhouse borderline blue blood while winning 3 NCs. It's the single greatest program building job in college basketball history. He also did this in a conference that was arguably the best basketball conference going against the likes of Georgetown, Syracuse, Villanova, St johns, etc and without the top talent and consistent influx of McDonald AA like coach K.

K is an amazing coach but he would have never built UConn into what JC did or won 3 titles here while vice versa JC could have enjoyed similar success at Duke

Sad that people can't look at things objectively. JC was clearly the 2nd best coach of his era, and a top 4 or 5 coach all time. Not sure why that isn't good enough for people like you.

Reciting and romanticizing JC's story doesn't change that.

Reaction Score
I agree that Calhoun accomplished the greatest program building job of all time, and I'm not sure Coach K would've accomplished the same at UConn.

But K also has 5 National Championships and 12 Final Fours in an era that's far more competitive than the one Wooden coached in. I think Calhoun's on the college coach Mount Rushmore, but with 3 NCs and 4 FFs it's tough to argue he's better than K all time.

Went to like this comment because I agree with the substance, then I felt dirty liking a comment speaking so highly of coach K. My apologies.

Reaction Score
Sad that people can't look at things objectively. JC was clearly the 2nd best coach of his era, and a top 4 or 5 coach all time. Not sure why that isn't good enough for people like you.

Name a better program building job. Or, you could use head-to-head in the tourney. The distance between JC and K isn't very large at all, and I am not sure which I would put on top.

Reaction Score

When you constantly have top 5 classes and 3 mcdonalds AA coming in a year there a different measuring stick

Reaction Score
When you constantly have top 5 classes and 3 mcdonalds AA coming in a year there a different measuring stick
No, it's not. Recruiting is a major part of the job, and Coach K is great at it. Calhoun was a great recruiter too, albeit in a much different way.

Not for nothing, but Coach K is a big reason why Duke recruits itself in 2017. They had some history before he got there, but he took that program to the next level.

I hate that you guys are making me defend K. Yuck.

Reaction Score
If you put up a poll for a national audience to determine the better coach, K or JC, I gotta believe it runs something like 95% - 5%.

Reaction Score

Being able to recruit well is part of the coaching skill set though. JC had some monster classes post-2000 as well.

Reaction Score
Name a better program building job. Or, you could use head-to-head in the tourney. The distance between JC and K isn't very large at all, and I am not sure which I would put on top.

Never said that there was a massive divide between K and JC, just that objectively speaking, it'd be generous to say JC=K.

Reaction Score
No, it's not. Recruiting is a major part of the job, and Coach K is great at it. Calhoun was a great recruiter too, albeit in a much different way.

Not for nothing, but Coach K is a big reason why Duke recruits itself in 2017. They had some history before he got there, but he took that program to the next level.

I hate that you guys are making me defend K. Yuck.

Duke was definitely in a much better place compared to UConn when they each took over the program, but Duke was hardly on the UK/UCLA level. Almost all of Duke's historical success has some under Coach K.

Reaction Score
Calhoun--Jay Wright--younger Boeheim--younger Pitino--Huggins--Cronin
Coach K.--Roy Williams--older Boeheim--older Pitino--Larranaga--Tony Bennett

Seems to me the two conferences are pretty close, a very slight edge to the ACC.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
There are also 67% more teams in the ACC now than there were during the Big East glory days.

I think this was the ENTIRE coaching roster for the 1987 Big East season:

Jim Calhoun (UConn)
Lou Carneseca (St Johns)
Jim Beheim (Syracuse)
John Thompson (Georgetown)
Rollie Mossimino (Villanova)
Rick Pitino (Providence)
PJ Carlisimo (Seton Hall)
Jim O'Brien (BCU)
Paul Evans (Pitt)

When your second worst coach is Jim O'Brien (who went to the Final Four as a coach), your coaching talent is ridiculous.

If you just compare the top couple of the old Big East to the top couple of the current ACC--there is a basis for comparison. But if you take the entire coaching roster of a conference, no one will ever rival what the Big East had in the glory days. Just look at that list. It is absolutely ridiculous!:cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom