calipari's "list" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

calipari's "list"

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Has he though? I mean has he really worked with any of them? Because to me he just handles them, strokes their egos and passes them along. What player can you honestly say that he has actually made better? If not for the one and done rule he'd be exactly what he was at Memphis.

If what you want someone who's worked with the highest tier athletes then why not take the guy who has ACTUALLY been on the court with those athletes before. The one who taught some of those top tier athletes what work really was. Ask Kevin Durant.
I think the Squid is below par from a talent development perspective...my post was just about what message his "list" is pushing

Reaction Score
Let's be completely honest here. Athletes taking easy classes isn't exactly unique to UK players and UConn players aren't exempt from it. That's not to say there is something unsavory going on but if you just want a degree and ask around, you can find incredibly easy classes in most schools, UConn included.
Their best players often take no actual classes second semester. They do "independent study" and that type of thing so they can go pro without up the APR. UK is not like the other top basketball schools. It is basketball camp with groupies and 55" TVs. They have created a system in which they have perfect APR and very little sitting in class let alone studying. It is a full blown disgrace.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
WhereistheDove? said:
It's now intro to toxicology that has taken over. The majority of the bball players and a huge number of fball players were in that class with me and it was a joke. A "B" was only possible if you were actively trying to fail.
Yep! "Tox for jocks!"

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I wonder how colleges rate on their bastardization of the student-athlete? It must be pretty common knowledge among the recruits.

Reaction Score
Their best players often take no actual classes second semester. They do "independent study" and that type of thing so they can go pro without up the APR. UK is not like the other top basketball schools. It is basketball camp with groupies and 55" TVs. They have created a system in which they have perfect APR and very little sitting in class let alone studying. It is a full blown disgrace.

And most UConn players take a handful of incredibly easy classes a semester with tons of academic support. It may not be to the extent of UK but I just find it funny that some people on here pretend the UK players are finger painting and our guys are Ivy League scholars. Most of them don't even come close to having a normal college academic experience. Again, not to say that's anything bad because I know the demands that being a D1 athlete puts on their schedule but let's just be fair about this.

Reaction Score
WhereistheDove? said:
And most UConn players take a handful of incredibly easy classes a semester with tons of academic support. It may not be to the extent of UK but I just find it funny that some people on here pretend the UK players are finger painting and our guys are Ivy League scholars. Most of them don't even come close to having a normal college academic experience. Again, not to say that's anything bad because I know the demands that being a D1 athlete puts on their schedule but let's just be fair about this.

Not at all, but you are kidding yourself. The structure UK has set up is geared for no purpose but to make the one and done model work. Are you going to tell me UNC's fake classes model is on par with everyone else's too? I'm not saying anything about UConn, I'm saying the UK system is unlike all the others I know of. It isn't cheating as far as what we know, but it isn't college.

Athletes take easy classes everywhere. In fact, most students on every campus in the country seek out easy classes with easy professors. About 20% of students seek academic challenge instead. Easy classes, tutoring etc. are normal. No classes and perfect apr is not normal. Rappers and shady guys with no apparent job following you around isn't normal either.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
But there is a difference between finding easy courses and an easy major with academic support/ tutoring and a total sham were you can ignore classes and be on the Dean's List. I just wish the NCAA cared more about this and less about the stupid technicalities they focus on.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Cal seems to have lost touch with what's important to recruits. Some of the questions at the top of his list should include:

May I join your program even if someone else takes my SAT?

Is there room on your staff for my father and/or AAU coach?

Will your university hand out a scholarship to my homeboy who doesn't even play basketball?

What is your policy regarding accepting gifts from agents and consorting with prostitutes?

Coach, will you still be around when the sheeeeeeeit hits the fan? If not, will I be able to find you at another one of this country's fine institutions of higher education?

Memphis is about to do that...It's not against NCAA rules.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ng-strongly-considered-for-opening-at-memphis

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
But there is a difference between finding easy courses and an easy major with academic support/ tutoring and a total sham were you can ignore classes and be on the Dean's List. I just wish the NCAA cared more about this and less about the stupid technicalities they focus on.

At Memphis we've found that 'sports and leisure management' and 'african american studies' are pretty much 3 years of basic classes with 1 year of nothing but electives...almost all of our athletes get into one of those two programs...and most graduate.

I agree with Pastner that it's much better than the UNC way...at least out guys did earn a degree.

Reaction Score
At Memphis

Just stop there, because the rest is pointless and we don't care.

Maybe you guys should spend more time on free throw shooting than "Sports and Leisure Management"

Reaction Score
I guess you didn't hear Cal UK

Sorry, but your program was forever tainted the day you hired that man some 15 or so years ago. Tell me, was a single player on his teams there ever actually academically eligible?

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score

Sorry, but your program was forever tainted the day you hired that man some 15 or so years ago. Tell me, was a single player on his teams there ever actually academically eligible?

Memphis needed Calipari...

1996-97: 16-15 (Larry Finch fired)
1997-98: 17-12
1998-99: 13-15 (Tic Price fired)
1999-00: 15-16 (Johnny Jones fired)

61-58 (3 coaches fired in 4 years)

Memphis knew what it was getting into with Cal, we were looking down the wrong side of the precipice that is mediocrity, Cal got us back on track. (and we got his career back on track as well)

Reaction Score
Memphis knew what it was getting into with Cal, we were looking down the wrong side of the precipice that is mediocrity, Cal got us back on track. (and we got his career back on track as well)

You do what you have to I guess. I will just never have any respect for that man.

Reaction Score

Just stop there, because the rest is pointless and we don't care.

Memphis needed Calipari...

1996-97: 16-15 (Larry Finch fired)
1997-98: 17-12
1998-99: 13-15 (Tic Price fired)
1999-00: 15-16 (Johnny Jones fired)

61-58 (3 coaches fired in 4 years)

You do what you have to I guess. I will just never have any respect for that man.
I really did care to hear what a fan of an ex-Cal team, besides UMass, thought about the whole scenario, but I really cant respect that kind of means-ends reasoning either.

Reaction Score
I really did care to hear what a fan of an ex-Cal team, besides UMass, thought about the whole scenario, but I really cant respect that kind of means-ends reasoning either.

Yeah, sorry, knee jerk reaction. The thought of calipari alone brings out the worst in me.

Reaction Score
21. Do you Refuse to Lose (TM)?
22. How well do your players shoot late game free throws in NCAA title games?
23. Ever coach the Nets? What was up with that?
24. Ever serve as the perfect symbol for postmodern soulless materialism?
Pretty surprised no one mentioned the obvious one, "How much money is that alumnus behind you counting out?"
What youre saying is true, but IMO pretty low on the totem pole of issues in D1 athletics. Its also part of why Im not much of a 'Cuse fan even though I graduated there. Dated a girl for 3yrs who interned in the athletics dept. and between what I personally saw and her stories of the inner workings, its pretty ridiculous to call what a lot of these guys got an education (or in a few cases the U a school, and not a business.) It is very common that athletics offices at big time programs spend time and money keeping some higher profile people out of the media and worse, jail. Im not simpleminded enough to believe alot of the same stuff doesnt happen at UConn, but at least I didn't have to watch it all going on at $45k per year. Im sure we're all aware that several of our athletes have done some things that would have resulted in any normal student's expulsion, although these guys are in the minority. At the end, its also why Im so high on big time student athletes that take the time to actually learn and graduate, because its rarely the school's top priority, so it must be the athlete's own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom