Calipari takes jab at Krzyzewski’s recruiting tactics for Diallo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Calipari takes jab at Krzyzewski’s recruiting tactics for Diallo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
HATE coach K. He's a real douch with his sense of entitlement, thinks he should get all of the calls guy is a jerk

Reaction Score
Here are the recruiting class rankings since Cal was at UK:

2009: UK #1; Duke #24
2010: UK #1; Duke #13
2011: UK #1; Duke #2
2012: UK #1; Duke #33
2013: UK #1; Duke #9
2014: UK #2; Duke #1
2015: UK #1; Duke #2
2016: UK #1; Duke #2

It's clear that UK used to be the clear #1 option for recruits and there was little competition for the top spot. Over the years, though, K has transitioned well to the OAD era of recruitment, and is now a legit threat to UK year-in year-out. And that's exactly how this comes off - Cal feels threatened and needs to go through the media to take shots at Coach K for telling recruits that Duke will set them up for life. As if Calipari never used that approach...

Great information here tcf15 as always. I had no idea that UK's recruiting was actually that high for that long. He should have more championships shouldn't he? Although he has been tied up ending generational poverty so he has been pretty busy!
*edited for word choice.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score

It's clear that UK used to be the clear #1 option for recruits and there was little competition for the top spot. Over the years, though, K has transitioned well to the OAD era of recruitment, and is now a legit threat to UK year-in year-out. And that's exactly how this comes off - Cal feels threatened and needs to go through the media to take shots at Coach K for telling recruits that Duke will set them up for life. As if Calipari never used that approach...

Serious question. I look at this list of UK's recruiting rankings for the last 8 years and in his worst season he had the #2 class, that's simply preposterous. What I want to know is what the hell is he telling kids when he walks into their homes? Like how is his pitch just sooooo juicy that no top level guy can resist?

I can understand the NBA pedigree/track record, but that would be more prominent in the recent years, well after he has established that reputation. But in his very first season there, he had the #1 class. Even dating back to his Memphis years he regularly had top 3 classes. Seriously, what makes Calipari so appealing to these kids early on in his career, before he established this reputation, because at this point it's just snowballing to the point that each class helps create the next one.

Reaction Score
Serious question. I look at this list of UK's recruiting rankings for the last 8 years and in his worst season he had the #2 class, that's simply preposterous. What I want to know is what the hell is he telling kids when he walks into their homes? Like how is his pitch just sooooo juicy that no top level guy can resist?

I can understand the NBA pedigree/track record, but that would be more prominent in the recent years, well after he has established that reputation. But in his very first season there, he had the #1 class. Even dating back to his Memphis years he regularly had top 3 classes. Seriously, what makes Calipari so appealing to these kids early on in his career, before he established this reputation, because at this point it's just snowballing to the point that each class helps create the next one.

It's an easy pitch:

"I'm going to get the best players in the country every year and I'm going to win half as many national championships with those players as UConn with lesser ranked players"

And they buy into it.;)

Reaction Score

I don't think we will ever know until the recruits release their stories. What's remarkable is that he keeps this type of success up with all the one and dones and uncertainty of roster year in and year out.

Like I said its evident he's the greatest college basketball salesman we have ever seen. By the way Cal does not bother this fan at all, since he's basically impotent when matched up against us on the hardwood floor.

Anyway John Wooden used to get these types of recruits but he did great things with them in college.

A modern day comparison I would think would be Geno.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I think it's funny Squid takes credit for getting kids into the NBA that could go to the NBA straight out of high school if they were allowed to do so

His pitch is essentially this, "I'll use you and you use me and nobody cares" (I mean, they don't even have to attend classes in the spring semester, there's no bigger racketeer)

Developing NBA talent? not Squid's forte

willie99

Reaction Score
I don't think we will ever know until the recruits release their stories. What's remarkable is that he keeps this type of success up with all the one and dones and uncertainty of roster year in and year out.

Like I said its evident he's the greatest college basketball salesman we have ever seen. By the way Cal does not bother this fan at all, since he's basically impotent when matched up against us on the hardwood floor.

Anyway John Wooden used to get these types of recruits but he did great things with them in college.

A modern day comparison I would think would be Geno.

Wooden had 4 years with the kids, as does Geno. Squid is more like a rest stop than a journey

Reaction Score

A lot of people here think he might have cheated at umess and memphis but that he no longer had to at Kentucky because it is KENTUCKY. Others believe he never cheated and that he is just Mr. Charisma and kids loved his up-tempo NBA offense. There has always been an excuse or rationalization with this guy because people lack the emotional toughness to accept how dirty the game really is. Unless he is caught red-handed, there are those who will continue to refuse to go down the "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is probably a duck" logical path. It doesn't matter how much smoke there is. If they don't see the fire, it doesn't exist. Ignore World Wide Wes. Ignore the fact that Tubby and others were unable to recruit like this at Kentucky. Pitino recruited almost as well but, hey, he has never been caught either and so he must be clean too. And Kentucky boosters, like Memphis boosters, are not at all irrationally invested in their team.

Plausible deniability. That and don't get caught. UNC almost got away with fake classes forever. Kentucky has fared slightly better. The squid is just better at it.

caw

Reaction Score
I dislike Squid as much as the next fan but he's an amazing sales man. Not only that but he does two great things for UK players. He keeps UK, himself and the players in the news. And he sells that exposure really well to players. And you have to admit he's true to his slimy self

K is a great coach, but a huge hypocrite.

Reaction Score

I may be losing track but it appears as though two of the seven #1 classes won the championship and we will have to see how 2016 does. That seems pretty good. It says that you have more than a 25% chance of winning it all if you load your team up with 5 or 6 five star recruits, even if they may not stay more than a year or two. While that may not be better than our 2 championships over the same period, these #1 ranked classes have also resulted in a ton of final four appearances when they do fail to win it all. So, it seems like a pretty good way to go.

You would think that an energetic young coach, who has played in the NBA, who has mentored LeBron and KD, who was a young black kid that fought his way out of a tough situation and who has won a championship would be able to attract as many five star kids as these two old, white dinosaurs. Unless........

willie99

Reaction Score
I have a question to axe y'all

Did Jim Calhoun get AD into the NBA?

I think JC molded a lot of NBA talent, but AD was going with or without any and all college coaches. I think that's the type of talent Squid gets into the NBA

Reaction Score
I have a question to axe y'all

Did Jim Calhoun get AD into the NBA?

I think JC molded a lot of NBA talent, but AD was going with or without any and all college coaches. I think that's the type of talent Squid gets into the NBA
So do you think we should not take credit for AD being in the NBA?

willie99

Reaction Score
So do you think we should not take credit for AD being in the NBA?

he's a UConn Alum, but JC did not mold him into an NBA player

there's a significant difference

PS: and I wouldn't want a bunch of AD's either. Arrive in August and leave in May (or sooner). That's not a knock on AD either. I prefer for kids to stay 3 years, absolute minimum of 2.

Reaction Score
he's a UConn Alum, but JC did not mold him into an NBA player

there's a significant difference

PS: and I wouldn't want a bunch of AD's either. Arrive in August and leave in May (or sooner). That's not a knock on AD either. I prefer for kids to stay 3 years, absolute minimum of 2.
I agree there is a significant difference, but you didn't really answer my question. When we're trying to sell big men on coming here, should we not take credit for AD being in the NBA and use that as part of our pitch?

willie99

Reaction Score
You can tell kids that, but don't try to sell that poppycock to the rest of the world

I wonder if JC would actually tell a recruit "I developed AD into NBA talent, I made him a lottery pick".

Then again, there's no need for him to embellish, he could say he molded lots of lesser regarded talent into 1st round picks.

Evidently, even K uses a different line, "you're set for life" implying the Dook family will take you under their wings

Reaction Score

Yea, but what is your point?

Don't we all know Coach Cal acts like a child at times.

A reason why a lot of coaches dislike him or have gotten into it with him.

Hard for me to even look at him as a basketball coach anymore, salesman, recruiter, coach is not what I think of when I look at Cal.

This is the real issue....

These kids are going to colleges not to win championships, but to make the NBA.

Just another reason why these kids should be getting paid in college and it should be an open market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom