Calipari takes jab at Krzyzewski’s recruiting tactics for Diallo | The Boneyard

Calipari takes jab at Krzyzewski’s recruiting tactics for Diallo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While this is not shocking it is amazing that Duke (K) would tell a player to come to them "and be set for life". Calipari pushing the NBA pipeline, but I have one question; what is our chance of getting this kid when he being fed this kind of BS? Both of those programs think their excretions don't stink and I for one dislike K as much if not more than Calipari.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I hate Cal, but he's 100% right here. K is a clown with his head so far up his own A if he's actually saying that to recruits.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Yea, I don't really see how normal programs are supposed to compete with the pitches and promises these two are making.

Reaction Score
I am not sure if this was posted, but I thought this was funny. Ideal case of the pot calling the kettle black.

I am curios what KO pitch was for Diallo considering the dream these two are selling.

Off pitch: John Calipari taking a shot at Mike Krzyzewski?
Pretty interesting. At first I thought he was complaining that the "set for life" comment was bogus because top players almost never get their Duke degree unless something went wrong in their basketball career. After reading the "shots," however, he is taking a shot at the implication that you are part of the Duke Family, so people will pay/hire you for life. Seems like a shot about Duke player's parents getting cushy jobs and the like. Wasn't Jay Williams mom that got a job from a booster?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Pretty interesting. At first I thought he was complaining that the "set for life" comment was bogus because top players almost never get their Duke degree unless something went wrong in their basketball career. After reading the "shots," however, he is taking a shot at the implication that you are part of the Duke Family, so people will pay/hire you for life. Seems like a shot about Duke player's parents getting cushy jobs and the like. Wasn't Jay Williams mom that got a job from a booster?

Don't forget Chris Duhon's mom. She moved to Durham from Slidell, LA to take a job they arranged for her while her son was playing there. He was on the 2004 team we knocked out of the FF. Also, there was one other player (can't remember his name) whose parents both got jobs as professors, all arranged by Ratface. The problem is all of these things are totally legal and above board, as far as the NCAA is concerned.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Don't forget Chris Duhon's mom. She moved to Durham from Slidell, LA to take a job they arranged for her while her son was playing there. He was on the 2004 team we knocked out of the FF. Also, there was one other player (can't remember his name) whose parents both got jobs as professors, all arranged by Ratface. The problem is all of these things are totally legal and above board, as far as the NCAA is concerned.
Carlos boozer?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Wasn't she a motorcycle safety officer? or was it a prescription drug abuse counselor?
I forgot which one the Rat set her up with.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I hope this blows up and we get some awful K comments back at Calipari. In my eyes, this is the best thing that could happen for our recruitment of Hamidou. Seeing daily updates in the dramatic opera that is Duke/UK and their huge ego coaches might make him say, 'I love KO, I like the guys at UConn, why not stay away from all of this BS?'

Reaction Score
Uconn had a similar situation with Ray and Rips mom taking jobs. #Aetna

Reaction Score
I am happy to see the jab from both cheaters but I am not getting a comfortable feeling from this article that Uconn is in the picture. I hope that this kid is just toying with the other schools and knows that Uconn is his #1 choice. #praying!

Reaction Score
I think this is all posturing, but 'set for life' is as bogus as NBA guarantees. Cal is the number one salesman in college basketball so its funny to see him hit at K, he hit him a little hard though. Plus K's claim can be discredited while Cal I hate to say it has NBA cred to his claim. Its just weird because a lot of Cal's recruits are practically NBAers already. He sure knows (i.e. salesman) how to take credit for something he really didn't do.

Its all theater though.

Reaction Score
If he can't get top national 25 high school players into the NBA he should find something else to do. Will the kids ever realize it is about their talent and not about his intervention in most cases? At least K can actually coach. It would be great if the two of them got into a media shooting war as another poster stated.

Reaction Score
I think this is all posturing, but 'set for life' is as bogus as NBA guarantees. Cal is the number one salesman in college basketball so its funny to see him hit at K, he hit him a little hard though. Plus K's claim can be discredited while Cal I hate to say it has NBA cred to his claim. Its just weird because a lot of Cal's recruits are practically NBAers already. He sure knows (i.e. salesman) how to take credit for something he really didn't do.

Its all theater though.

Exactly, full agreement. These kids who choose Kentucky should understand that even if they went to a bottom of the bucket team, they will absolutely be drafted. So I don't know why kids seem to think that Calipari is someone they need to get to the pros, but at least he isn't blowing as much smoke up the proverbial butts as K seems to be doing. To me that sounds like he's selling the Duke name and experience and even if you blow out your knees year 1, we'll make sure you get that degree and take on the world, which we know has got to be utter BS.

pj

Reaction Score
Calipari makes a good point that K is either lying, or Duke is violating NCAA rules by having a cohort of boosters committed to providing future rewards to recruits.

And public bickering between K and Cal is certainly good for us. It makes both look bad.

I also think that no school can compare with UConn for getting players to the NBA. If you equate high school rating to projected NBA draft slot, with some slippage for Euro/global players taking spots, UConn has had many players drafted earlier than high school projections. Kentucky has done fine but their biggest successes have been with top 10 prospects.

Reaction Score
Calipari makes a good point that K is either lying, or Duke is violating NCAA rules by having a cohort of boosters committed to providing future rewards to recruits.

I agree with you that any public bickering between K and Cal is delightful.

But the only actual quote from Hamidou about what K said was "Duke’s pitch was if you come to Duke, you’re going to be set for life. It’s more than just basketball." Without more detail, that's the same 'come here and we'll prepare you for life' pitch that pretty much every college admissions person makes to every potential student everywhere.

Everything else in that article is Squid spin.

Reaction Score
Here are the recruiting class rankings since Cal was at UK:

2009: UK #1; Duke #24
2010: UK #1; Duke #13
2011: UK #1; Duke #2
2012: UK #1; Duke #33
2013: UK #1; Duke #9
2014: UK #2; Duke #1
2015: UK #1; Duke #2
2016: UK #1; Duke #2

It's clear that UK used to be the clear #1 option for recruits and there was little competition for the top spot. Over the years, though, K has transitioned well to the OAD era of recruitment, and is now a legit threat to UK year-in year-out. And that's exactly how this comes off - Cal feels threatened and needs to go through the media to take shots at Coach K for telling recruits that Duke will set them up for life. As if Calipari never used that approach...

Reaction Score
No mention of UC. Unsure if that's good or bad. Hopefully good.

FWIW we were mentioned in the source article...

"The word is that he coveted a Kentucky offer,” Meyer said. “I think Kentucky is in a great position. Connecticut, because he’s from that region, is strong with him. And then Duke offered, and any time Duke offers, you’ve got to take note, because Duke doesn’t like to offer and not get a kid – I think maybe more than anyone.”

Reaction Score

And public bickering between K and Cal is certainly good for us. It makes both look bad.

I also think that no school can compare with UConn for getting players to the NBA. If you equate high school rating to projected NBA draft slot, with some slippage for Euro/global players taking spots, UConn has had many players drafted earlier than high school projections. Kentucky has done fine but their biggest successes have been with top 10 prospects.
I agree with what you are saying. The problem is Coach K and C both have the NBA track record. We need KO to get that record going. we can not survive off of Coach Jim Calhoun anymore

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS