Calipari is a freaking joke | The Boneyard

Calipari is a freaking joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
His interview after tonight's loss is just pathetic. Whining on and on about how every team no matter the year plays their greatest game they've ever played against Kentucky, whether it's Monmouth, UCLA it doesn't matter. They play rougher, tougher, never miss a shot etc, because it's Kentucky. The guy is such a friggin clown, he seems to pull this routine after every loss now. Grow up *~k up and act like a professional. Your team lost, give credit to the other team and talk about what you need to improve upon moving forward. It's a shame Chaney didn't strangle him all those years ago.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Not that I am ever the one to defend that slimeball, but... quote from Calipari after the game-
"Their bigs outplayed us, outhustled us, outworked us. Their guards beats us to balls, made better plays than our guards"

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
He is a clown, but whats even worse is that it works because recruits eat that up. At this point he knows the more outlandish stuff he says the better it is for him. Based on that quote, (a) BBN will be loving it and nodding their heads in agreement = $$, (b) recruits like it because it gives the illusion of being elite, a whole tier above the rest = $$, (c) the media and his haters will trash him for it but will simultaneously be getting page views, clicks, tweets and chatter which ultimately = $$.

Reaction Score
Not that I am ever the one to defend that slimeball, but... quote from Calipari after the game-
"Their bigs outplayed us, outhustled us, outworked us. Their guards beats us to balls, made better plays than our guards"
Didn't see that, was just watching sport center before bed and he was going on and on about how everyone plays amazing against us because it's their Super Bowl. Wish I had the video to post, it was pretty ridiculous.

Reaction Score
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
It is called a back-handed compliment. Basically he said that those kids normally don't play hard but only played hard tonight because playing his wonderful team, the best money can buy, was their "superbowl".

Reaction Score
Didn't see that, was just watching sport center before bed and he was going on and on about how everyone plays amazing against us because it's their Super Bowl. Wish I had the video to post, it was pretty ridiculous.

What it really means is "we play weak defense"

I often feel like UConn makes some of the early season cupcakes look a lot better than they are, but I don't think "oh man everyone brings their A game against the main event in Northeastern hoops" I usually think "I thought we were good on D, why does everyone look good against us?!"

Reaction Score
His interview after tonight's loss is just pathetic. Whining on and on about how every team no matter the year plays their greatest game they've ever played against Kentucky, whether it's Monmouth, UCLA it doesn't matter. They play rougher, tougher, never miss a shot etc, because it's Kentucky. The guy is such a friggin clown, he seems to pull this routine after every loss now. Grow up *~k up and act like a professional. Your team lost, give credit to the other team and talk about what you need to improve upon moving forward. It's a shame Chaney didn't strangle him all those years ago.

Just to be that guy, isn't this the excuse we always used when Providence beat us and those turds from Friar Talk came by?

Reaction Score
It is called a back-handed compliment. Basically he said that those kids normally don't play hard but only played hard tonight because playing his wonderful team, the best money can buy, was their "superbowl".

Do you really think UCLA would say that they played as hard against Monmouth or Wake Forest as they did against Kentucky?

Reaction Score
Do you really think UCLA would say that they played as hard against Monmouth or Wake Forest as they did against Kentucky?

It's irrelevant. UConn is going to play harder against Maryland than it did against Sacred Heart. But that goes for every game for every team. It's just not an excuse.

Reaction Score
It's irrelevant. UConn is going to play harder against Maryland than it did against Sacred Heart. But that goes for every game for every team. It's just not an excuse.

So you agree that it's true, you just don't want him to mention it.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Kentucky just isn't that good this year. They have great guard play, but their front court is the worst they've had in a long time.

- Skal cannot rebound. He has a better post moves than Brimah, but he's slightly worse at shot blocking and has the same issues rebounding because of his thin frame.
- Poythress is a strong guy who just never became a very skilled player.
- Lee is solid but nothing special.
- Humphries needs a year of development.

This isn't a Kentucky team that guards are afraid to drive against. Their size and defense (WCS and Towns is insane and Lyles guarded some 3s too) is what made them so good last year. They're a good team this season, just not a big NC threat.

Reaction Score
So you agree that it's true, you just don't want him to mention it.

A lot of things are true that I would never want my coach to say. It's embarrassing. It's true for every game and for every team, not just Kentucky. But to use that as an excuse makes you look like a loser.

Reaction Score
A lot of things are true that I would never want my coach to say. It's embarrassing. It's true for every game and for every team, not just Kentucky. But to use that as an excuse makes you look like a loser.

Considering the entirety of things he says and does, saying something true but weaker than optimal isn't on the top of my list of things to get worked up about.

Of course, people here will get mad about him saying nice things about UConn players as we learned, so I'm not going to see eye to eye on it.

Reaction Score
Considering the entirety of things he says and does, saying something true but weaker than optimal isn't on the top of my list of things to get worked up about.

Of course, people here will get mad about him saying nice things about UConn players as we learned, so I'm not going to see eye to eye on it.

Not worked up about it but it's hilarious how he always finds a way to deflect the losses from him as the coach. Time and time again there's a reason outside of the norm whether it's "remember they're just freshman" to now this. Funny guy, fraud actually but the entertainment of his interviews are worth it.

Reaction Score
So UCLA was playing the game of their lives last year when Kentucky was up 41-7 at halftime on route to a 82-42 victory? Maybe that game stuck out with the Bruins.

You didn't know they'd play like that last year, I mean the coach must not have told his Bruins this was their Super Bowl.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't get the hate that Bryce Alford gets from fans and around the country, because I really like his game. He is a good enough athlete and smart player that does a lot more good than bad for UCLA. His assist/turnover ratio is excellent, he hits his free throws and plays solid, aggressive defense. His shooting percentage is a little thin for my tastes, but so are most players' shooting percentages these days. Shot selection and shot form is a lost art in an era when everyone either recklessly attacks the basket or launches contested threes.

I am less impressed with the dad as a coach than I am with the son as a player. I think Steve Alford is one of those coaches that is not cut out for the bright lights of a major program.

Reaction Score
I don't get the hate that Bryce Alford gets from fans and around the country, because I really like his game. He is a good enough athlete and smart player that does a lot more good than bad for UCLA. His assist/turnover ratio is excellent, he hits his free throws and plays solid, aggressive defense. His shooting percentage is a little thin for my tastes, but so are most players' shooting percentages these days. Shot selection and shot form is a lost art in an era when everyone either recklessly attacks the basket or launches contested threes.

I am less impressed with the dad as a coach than I am with the son as a player. I think Steve Alford is one of those coaches that is not cut out for the bright lights of a major program.
He's like the new Aaron Craft. He tries real hard, and is a good player for sure, but seems to get the bump to "elite" for no good reason.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Maybe we should compensate the squid for the fact that teams play harder against them. How about if he gets most of the best players coming out of high school every year?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
You might consider that without hearing the whole interview, you may be interpreting things out of context.

And there's some truth to what he says. Kentucky is the first team everyone circles on the calendar, don't kid yourself, and that means something in terms of performance.

He's only guilty of exaggeration.

Reaction Score
You might consider that without hearing the whole interview, you may be interpreting things out of context.

And there's some truth to what he says. Kentucky is the first team everyone circles on the calendar, don't kid yourself, and that means something in terms of performance.

I don't particularly care about what Calipari said, but the games that UCLA circles first are the two times they play Arizona. They're also playing UNC this year, so it's not like this is their only OOC matchup against an elite program.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score

Is it possible that Kentucky is the first team everyone circles because of comments like these made by their head coach, and largely by their fan base? Comments Cal makes like then, and then when the media buys in and kisses his a** and says things like "Kris Dunn is a Kentucky level talent", it's easy to see why everyone wants them to lose, because they demean everyone else's hard work with s*** like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom