Calhoun +/- | The Boneyard

Calhoun +/-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rooting for the kid but wow - tonight was another step backwards for him. Turnover city when he touches the ball. Not sure what the official +/- is yet but I wouldnt be surprised if we were outscored when he was on the floor

Reaction Score
Really pulling for Omar. Something definitely went south with this kid. Off season surgery ? Mental ? Still hope its not a lost year. Keep trying is all he can do.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
He has committed more than 2 TOs in one game all season: 3, vs Loyola MD.

Reaction Score
He has committed more than 2 TOs in one game all season: 3, vs Loyola MD.

Nonetheless he's awful with the ball…….he continuously is driving into double teams without a plan, sometimes gets lucky without a TO and yesterday not so much…….love the kid but it's painful…….

Kromah had 4 yesterday and got real lazy with the ball a couple of times but usually he's not bad at all……he also rebounds and defends

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Nonetheless he's awful with the ball…….he continuously is driving into double teams without a plan, sometimes gets lucky without a TO and yesterday not so much…….love the kid but it's painful…….

Kromah had 4 yesterday and got real lazy with the ball a couple of times but usually he's not bad at all……he also rebounds and defends
Don't get it twisted; I agree that Omar has a sub-par handle and does dribble his way in to TOs. He also only plays about 15 mpg. "Turnover city when he touches the ball" is just stupid though.

Reaction Score
Don't get it twisted; I agree that Omar has a sub-par handle and does dribble his way in to TOs. He also only plays about 15 mpg. "Turnover city when he touches the ball" is just stupid though.

That may be exaggerated and a bit twisted but if you breath steady when he drives to the hole during a game then you haven't been watching him…….it is usually not a good thing. Strange how he has fallen and I hope he picks himself back up. Hey he made a couple of nice plays offensively too so there's hope, we need to be sure to make notice of those!

Reaction Score
when you touch the ball 5 times and turn it over 2, that is brutal.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Don't you mean Kromah?
I love OC but you just can't compare his game to Kromah's right now. Like Mau said, LK rebounds and is one of our best defenders. Were LK a soph and not a 1 and done, I believe he'd have most of OC's minutes this year. We are a better team when he is on the floor.

Let's hope OC can turn the corner. We need him now and will definitely need him more next year.

Reaction Score
Omar's biggest liability is his defense. He is slow to react and is easily beaten off the dribble.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Good thing they don't count horrible shots and missed lay-ups as TO's
I love OC but you just can't compare his game to Kromah's right now. Like Mau said, LK rebounds and is one of our best defenders. Were LK a soph and not a 1 and done, I believe he'd have most of OC's minutes this year. We are a better team when he is on the floor.

Maybe so, but he's still a TO machine.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
when you touch the ball 5 times and turn it over 2, that is brutal.
Don't disagree about the problems others have posted concerning OC's current play, but how did you come up with this five number? He had a lot more touches than five times. He's tentative on trying to create which is to be expected from someone in his type of slump. His turnovers came in the first minute of play. He settled down after that play, but mau is correct, he attempts to drive into the lane when it is obvious he can easily be double teamed, and he does this when there is no chance for an outlet pass. Total head scratcher. The only thing I can think of is that KO wants him to be more assertive but he's so befuddled he's picking the wrong times to create. I'm not writing this kid off from being able to create like Lason. He did it last season.

None of the wings had a spectacular game. Lason was really sloppy for a stretch. Niels let Temple get back into the game several times by sliding off his player and getting torched for threes. There is a reason Temple shot relatively well and OC was not the major problem.

The only decent play came from Shabazz and DD and DD took a long time to get going. The way he started the first half I was holding my breath :))@mau) and thinking Temple might get their first conference win. But then he got out of his funk and had a career game.

Reaction Score

If you're talking about Kromah he averages 1.2 TO's per game in 21.4 MPG...Not terrible. He also has a positive A/TO ratio.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Old Whaler fans remember 50-goal scorer Blaine Stoughton. He was quoted as saying that he didn't want a pass unless he was in shooting position. Perhaps OC can use that approach until he gets his shot back. And a little extra effort on the boards wouldn't hurt either.

Reaction Score
Omar Calhoun's major limitation is that he has tunnel vision and his passing is awful. This is probably not unexpected. In HS I'm sure he was the guy who shot. He got the ball, he shot. His senior year he averaged 2.8 assists per game, and you can assume that he pretty much played full games.

Point is, the book on him is now very easy - don't give him an easy open look, force him to drive, a quick collapse will usually force him into a bad pass.

Omar has tunnel vision in the worst way. It was evident several times against Temple. He'd receive the pass and it seemed obvious, based on his body language, that he already intended to pass or shoot. He seems to have a very limited capacity to see the floor and react to what he sees rather than simply charting a course of action and seeing where it ends up. I'm sure this worked in high school, as he had the ability to shoot over or blow by most defenders - there was no need to size things up.

A perfect example of his limitations occurred at the Temple game when he received a pass at the 3 pt line to the left of center. He drove in one or two dribbles to the elbow. At this point, Giff's defender and OC's defender collapsed to cut off the drive. Giff had nobody within 8 feet of him, and it would have been a simple pass for OC to kick it back to Giff, the highest 3pt shooter on the team. Instead, he throws up a contested crap shot and misses. He simply doesn't see the floor, or, if he does, he isn't mentally trained sufficiently to make the pass when it's available. Last night he had many touches where he received the pass, dribbled once or zero, then quickly passed it. But there's a big difference between passing for passing's sake and passing to obtain better scoring opportunities.

Reaction Score
Remarkable we win by 25 and still have a lengthy thread on someone who did not play well. We must enjoy being miserable, or something.

Reaction Score
Don't disagree about the problems others have posted concerning OC's current play, but how did you come up with this five number? He had a lot more touches than five times. He's tentative on trying to create which is to be expected from someone in his type of slump. His turnovers came in the first minute of play. He settled down after that play, but mau is correct, he attempts to drive into the lane when it is obvious he can easily be double teamed, and he does this when there is no chance for an outlet pass. Total head scratcher. The only thing I can think of is that KO wants him to be more assertive but he's so befuddled he's picking the wrong times to create. I'm not writing this kid off from being able to create like Lason. He did it last season.

None of the wings had a spectacular game. Lason was really sloppy for a stretch. Niels let Temple get back into the game several times by sliding off his player and getting torched for threes. There is a reason Temple shot relatively well and OC was not the major problem.

The only decent play came from Shabazz and DD and DD took a long time to get going. The way he started the first half I was holding my breath :))@mau) and thinking Temple might get their first conference win. But then he got out of his funk and had a career game.

fleudy have to disagree with Giffey's D which was really good for the most part. He moved his feet and stopped 25 a few times and also Pepper…….They only made 4 threes and 2 were Cummings and 2 were Pepper so I'm not sure how you get "torched several times" out of 4 3's? Giffey was "torched" once when he was coming back in transition D and not everyone was back, he should have stayed in the corner with Cummings and instead floated to the middle and hardly got a hand in the face in time. But at the time Cummings wasn't his guy it was Bazz's……I mean let's not pretend Omar can hold either Lasan or Niels jock at this point. Lasan was sloppy with the ball when everyone because to "entertaining" on fast breaks and he did get dribble happy. But he also handled it a lot as jazz gave him the ball so he could curl off picks and he did a nice job during the run early making a key steal and also rebounding the basketball, Niels the same thing steal and rebounds as well as keeping the ball alive.

Reaction Score

I was being sarcastic. If we go by the eye test, he is failing miserably. I remember twice last night he dribbled himself right into a trap and lost the ball. He shoots too much, doesn't ever create for his teammates and at this point is more a liability than an asset.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Remarkable we win by 25 and still have a lengthy thread on someone who did not play well. We must enjoy being miserable, or something.
It's not just that, it's DD going off and people dismissing it as just hot shooting or something, as if that makes the points count for less. It's true Temple is not good, but it's still a Division I basketball team. The urge to dismiss good news is pretty baffling.

Reaction Score
OC played better than he has been. Does he have a higher ceiling? Absolutely. But he's playing better than December Omar. I'm just grateful he made a three.

Hopefully he continues to improve however unsatisfactorily (word?) below his potential that may be for some here.

Reaction Score
Come on man, it's easy, isn't it?
We all want the brass ring. You don't get it by beating a team and then sitting back feeling good about yourself. You get it by constantly reviewing your game, looking for areas of weakness, and working on getting better.

You think KO isn't talking to OC about getting better? About curing his deficiencies? Would that mean that KO enjoys being miserable?

Or did you mistakenly post here thinking this was the Woman's Board, where naught a negative thought is written, and everything is mary sunshine up your @ss?

Reaction Score
We all want the brass ring. You don't get it by beating a team and then sitting back feeling good about yourself. You get it by constantly reviewing your game, looking for areas of weakness, and working on getting better.

You think KO isn't talking to OC about getting better? About curing his deficiencies? Would that mean that KO enjoys being miserable?

Or did you mistakenly post here thinking this was the Woman's Board, where naught a negative thought is written, and everything is mary sunshine up your @ss?
In what way are you helping ollie get a ring ? This post is asanine.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

When KO does it, it's constructive. And for that matter, it's his job.
When the 'yard (or any group of fans) does it, it's senseless bitching and complaining. It will not help the team, any more than discussing what they did right will hurt the team.

Reaction Score

You have a weird thing with Kromah. I remember you calling him out for being selfish in a really bizarre way after an earlier win. He turned the ball over a couple times last night, okay, but he's been one of our most productive players, particularly lately. I'm not sure what your deal with him is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom