Calhoun tonight | The Boneyard

Calhoun tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ch 30 interviewed him briefly today after the Husky Run. He basicly sounded pissed that realignment is being caused by football when basketball made the BE. I only caught a few seconds of it.

Reaction Score
Ch 30 interviewed him briefly today after the Husky Run. He basicly sounded pissed that realignment is being caused by football when basketball made the BE. I only caught a few seconds of it.

Of course he's pissed. Any of us would be in his shoes. But that doesn't mean that he is failing to recognize the reality of the situation -- I think it is clear that he does.

Reaction Score
Here was his quote:

"My thing is that I'm never, ever, to this day, never, ever will be anti-Big East," Calhoun said. "I'm pro-Big East and I hope that things can be worked out in the Big East. But, if they can't be, and we can find a better place for ourselves, then we would do that."

Naturally he wants to stay in the BE if it can be a viable solution for us, but if the ACC comes calling, it's a no-brainer that we accept. He understands that UConn has to do what's best for UConn.

Reaction Score
Nobody is asking anyone to be anti BE. It's the reality of the situation in college sports and JC and GA recognize that and understand the situation.

Even the BE stated (Comm. M) that the BE would loose a lot of revenue if the FB programs lost the AQ BCS status. That is why he is trying his best to salvage the situation. The question is.....can he?

I don't think anyone hates anyone else as coaches, institutions, or professionals.

It's the MONEY, and UConn stands to loose a bundle if it is not in an AQ BCS league....whether or not they are bowl bound.

A big investment was made, at the proding of Lew Perkins, to position UConn FB and BB to be able to survive this schism. Anyone think he was wrong 20 years ago when he first planted the seeds to upgrade UC FB.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Dear Jim,

Shut the duck* up. We love you dearly, but shut the duck* up.

Do. Not. Say. Anything.

Seriously, I have a roll of duct tape with your name on it. One more peep and I go Home Depot on your head with the entire roll.

Love,

Everyone.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Dear Jim,

Do. Not. Say. Anything.

Seriously, I have a roll of duct tape with your name on it. One more peep and I go Home Depot on your head with the entire roll.

Love,

Everyone.

Dear Fishy and Everyone,

Think of me like a crazy old grandfather who overcame and achieved more in his lifetime than you could ever hope to, allowing you to experience joys you never dreamed were possible, and leaving behind a legacy that you all can live off and bask in the afterglow for the rest of your lives. And understand that I still have more in the tank than any of you, and that the crowning glory of my career may still be yet to come. How about we all recognize that I have earned the right to say whatever the duck* I want, and you will reward my accomplishments by looking the other way and shutting the duck* up yourselves even when I say the most cringe-worthy things. Just like good ol' Granddad. Deal?

Love,
Grandpa Jim

Reaction Score
Calhoun sounds like Boeheim did in 2003 about SU going to the ACC.

We see how that turned out for SU back then.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Dear Fishy and Everyone,

Think of me like a crazy old grandfather who overcame and achieved more in his lifetime than you could ever hope to, allowing you to experience joys you never dreamed were possible, and leaving behind a legacy that you all can live off and bask in the afterglow for the rest of your lives. And understand that I still have more in the tank than any of you, and that the crowning glory of my career may still be yet to come. How about we all recognize that I have earned the right to say whatever the duck* I want, and you will reward my accomplishments by looking the other way and shutting the duck* up yourselves even when I say the most cringe-worthy things. Just like good ol' Granddad. Deal?

Love,
Grandpa Jim
I imagine that JC's respnse would be more like "Fishy, you don't have a large enough sack to try anything with the duct tape but I wish you did because I would show you exactly what you can do with the duct tape!".

Reaction Score
Without Calhoun UConn would have been kicked out of the BE like Temple was in football!
He can say whatever he wants anytime he wants. What he has done here is clearly the most remarkable job ever done short of John Wooden; FOUR Final Fours, THREE National Champions!! At UConn?

The UConn brand, the Nike deal, people outside of Connecticut actually knowing about UConn is 99.9% due to Calhoun.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He needs to zip it. He wants to talk about the season, the weather, the dirty people peeing in public on Wall Street, the price of cocaine in Bolivia, whether Hooters uses false advertising or anything else, sure, go ahead. If he wants to opine about the conference....duct tape.

It's shut up time for all loose cannons. Anything that prejudices anyone in any conference for any reason against UConn is freaking stupid and we know that our guy shoots first and then checks to see if he's hit our own feet.

If came to Storrs right now and starting spouting off about the conference stuff, he'd get his head duct-taped as well. It's not the time.

Reaction Score

If came to Storrs right now and starting spouting off about the conference stuff, he'd get his head duct-taped as well. It's not the time.

Hopefully He is in Storrs and his name is AD

Reaction Score
Agree with the duct tape sentiment. But I will say that I was just talking to a reporter who was there for these comments and he said Calhoun was given the opportunity to slam DeFillipo and did not. So maybe Herbst has given Jimmy the let's-be-careful-what-we-say speech and the coach is on board. At least for the most part.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The problem coach is that at some point the Big East stops being the Big East. It might be the first time you play UCF in a conference basketball game or the day that Air Force comes to Rentschler Field.... but that day is coming and it's stops being a concept and just becomes a label.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Some of the effects of Jimmy's words following the 2003 split are still being felt to this day. While certainly not the sole reason for BC's war against UConn, you can infer that JC pissed the hell out of Deflip with his comments on BC. And Deflip is obviously enjoying his retribution.

The less the boat gets rocked the better at this stage. I'm happy that, for the most part, the reaction from UConn regarding Deflip's interview has been crickets.

Problem with JC is that he's a puncher. And right now we don't need a fight.

Reaction Score
Dear Jim,

Do. Not. Say. Anything.

Love,

Everyone.

I am 100% positive that Calhoun, at age 69, would kick your if you had the balls to say that to his face. Frankly, I would cheer him on. No disrespect mind you. Love......

Reaction Score
He needs to zip it. He wants to talk about the season, the weather, the dirty people peeing in public on Wall Street, the price of cocaine in Bolivia, whether Hooters uses false advertising or anything else, sure, go ahead. If he wants to opine about the conference....duct tape.

It's shut up time for all loose cannons. Anything that prejudices anyone in any conference for any reason against UConn is freaking stupid and we know that our guy shoots first and then checks to see if he's hit our own feet.

Actually, Jesus would fix this. I think the BC crew might listen to him, provided he was still about about peace and harmony. How about an Islam reference or a disparaging remark about Mohammed, that might go over over better, but wtf do I know.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Now I have to beat up Jim Calhoun on general principle. A clear cut example of social media gone horribly wrong.

The board will have to reimburse me for the duct tape. That s*** is not cheap.

I don't think Boston College and Jesus have a shared agenda. Just a hunch - I don't know much about either, but they seem to operate out of different playbooks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Some of the effects of Jimmy's words following the 2003 split are still being felt to this day. While certainly not the sole reason for BC's war against UConn, you can infer that JC pissed the hell out of Deflip with his comments on BC. And Deflip is obviously enjoying his retribution.

The less the boat gets rocked the better at this stage. I'm happy that, for the most part, the reaction from UConn regarding Deflip's interview has been crickets.

Problem with JC is that he's a puncher. And right now we don't need a fight.
As has been said ad nasueum on the board, and by Mean Gene, it's not aobut hurt feelings. It's about fear.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The irony about the Boston College deal is that their move to the ACC was partially about money, but was driven to some extent by the fear of UConn.

And yet, since their move, I do not think the gap could have widened more than it has.

They're still better at hockey, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom