Calhoun regrets? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Calhoun regrets?

Reaction Score
Nope, I was all in on the plan at the time. I Thought for sure it meant continuity, and our best bet to remain a top program.

Reaction Score
Recruiting for KO wasn't all that bad originally it all fell apart with the transfers and decommits and the lack of development. KO did bring in Dham, Brimah, and Adams you wonder where they would all be drafted if they had solid coaching.

C

Chief00

Don’t assume Calhoun had zero to do with the Hurley/Moore arrival.

Reaction Score
Ollie is in the rearview now, and I'm sooooo glad about that, that I really don't care to ruminate on the question. Three weeks ago, I wasn't at all confident that the AD would have the stones to make a move, and another season of lifeless basketball might well have made this program bleed out, IMO. Instead, they got their first choice to come coach the team, and while there are zero guarantees that Hurley won't crash and burn too, the university has sent a message that they're committed to hunting the next championship.

So much hope I can hardly stand it!

Reaction Score
I am committed to not judge Hurley on next season no matter what happens. This is not a 1 year building project, been reading how some think we are a top 25 team next year. Just don’t see that.

Reaction Score
I am committed to not judge Hurley on next season no matter what happens. This is not a 1 year building project, been reading how some think we are a top 25 team next year. Just don’t see that.
You don't see how we'd be top 25 because we'll be top 10?

Reaction Score
My guess is that JC made the best decision at the time with the information he had.
If it doesn't work out, but you made the best decision at the time based on what you knew, why have regrets? That's silly, and not JC's style at all.
The deficiencies that ended up being fatal to Ollie's career at UConn were most likely not apparent to JC at the time.

Make your best call with the information you have, and live with the results.

And like many have pointed out - it's entirely possible that there was something about the chemistry among Ollie and the kids he had in 2014 that resulted in the NC that would not have been possible with another coach.

The 3 lost years after the NC will look like a minor bump in the road if DH rights the ship, and most will think 1 NC in exchange for a few lost years was a robbery on our part, given continued success.

I never agreed that we have lost prestige, notwithstanding the AAC. Winning again will dispel much of that noise.

Heard a guy on the radio (Tiki?) today say that Kansas/Nova is a matchup of Blue Bloods. Interesting.

Reaction Score
In retrospect, who else thinks Calhoun regrets what he did to get Ollie the HC job? When you think about it, it was a pretty dumb thing. To put a guy in charge of a program like Uconn, with no HC experience and what, 3 years as an assistant? A nice career at Uconn, an overachiever in the NBA, a nice person, none of that qualifies you as a head coach. I feel bad for Ollie, he was in way over his head. JC should have known better. But of course he will never say it or admit he should not have done what he did.

I just couldn't resist.

Reaction Score
Four years of disappointment are worth a title, and there's no guarantee another coach would've gotten us there in 2014.

No regrets. Hopefully KO lands on his feet.

Are you joking? They won in spite of Ollie and not because of him! Any other human being with a pulse could have won with that senior laden team that basically coached itself. Ollie has completely run this program into the ground.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Don’t assume Calhoun had zero to do with the Hurley/Moore arrival.
His presence is all over this move. The Jeff/Dan All Star room mate connection. The Blaney connection. The Calhoun Visit !!

Reaction Score
Are you joking? They won in spite of Ollie and not because of him! Any other human being with a pulse could have won with that senior laden team that basically coached itself. Ollie has completely run this program into the ground.

Ollie needs too get some credit for a successful 20 win first season and the NC in his second season. What he brought back then was confidence and a "refuse to lose" mentality. You could see it when he walked out onto the court before the games. He truly believed that UConn would find a way to win those games, and they did.

For a variety of reasons, that resolve, confidence and rapport with the players ceased to exist over time. The results over the past two years were really, really bad. But you cant take away the success he led UConn to in his first two seasons. He was undeniably a significant part of the 2014 National Championship, even though that team was absolutely stacked with upperclassmen and had the best player in the nation. They got it done under his leadership; you cant take that away from him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Fun thought exercise about the 14 team. If JC is still the coach, does that team have a more consistent regular season and get a higher seed in the Tournament?

Reaction Score
So you you blame the coach for the dumpster fire but give no credit to him for winning. OK. :rolleyes:Head bang :rolleyes: Head bang

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Any other human being with a pulse could have won.. .
I was torn between bumping the Comment or the affirmation of the comment that many on this board underestimate how hard it is to win the NC. And then came this.

What else have you got?

Reaction Score
I was torn between bumping the Comment or the affirmation of the comment that many on this board underestimate how hard it is to win the NC. And then came this.

What else have you got?

I was one of the first adopters of the fire Ollie section, but even I can't say he wasn't amazing in the 2014 tourney. Pretty much everything he did during that run from rotations to enthusiasm to being a vocal presence with the refs was spot on. That being said I do think people on here glamorize that 14 team as more of an underdog team than they really were. I think that team was as good or better as anyone that's won a title since, and the roster construction and usage came at a time when Calhoun was much more involved than he was the last few years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom