Calhoun regrets? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Calhoun regrets?

Reaction Score
Unless players are ready to speak out we are not going to know what went wrong with KO. 3 National titles gave Calhoun a lot of rope in choosing KO but the AD rubber stamped it and I will take a title every 6 years if given the chance. It was improbable but amazing.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No. I'm sure he regretted not being healthy enough to continue coaching while fighting the APR ban.

I guarantee he doesn't regret for a second giving one of his guys the keys.

Anything more you'd have to know if his relationship with KO affected the BB product.

JC is enough of a big picture guy to be OK with KO not working out and hiring DH.

Reaction Score
If we're discussing how the '14 team won the national title, the strongest argument for why we won is we shot 89%+ as a TEAM from the foul line for the entire tournament. That is absolutely insane, and a testament to the emphasis the coaching staff put on it and the work the players put in.

Reaction Score
Y
With a different coach, they get a different seed and maybe run into Louisville, who we weren't beating even with Pop and Stevens on the bench.

Pitt's program is destroyed. Ours isn't even on life support.
You got that right. I think we will be back soon. And if somehow we get to a better league, watch out!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No regrets at all, I mean look how he started.

After 2012-2013 we thought we had our coach for the next 25 years.

After 2013-2014 we thought we would lose him to the NBA.

Then we all know what happened. Underachieving NIT team, underachieving 9 seed, losing season, losing season.

Say what you want about Napier carrying the team in 2012-2014 (and he did), but someone had to keep the squad together and coach them.

Regret how it ended, but in my world, you take a title any way you can get it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Even if JC did regret it, no one but he would know
He would NEVER broadcast that sentiment and rightfully so.
The only thing I ever questioned was the timing

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
No regrets at all. You have to make the best decision you can based on the data nd your own gut feeling. Once you make that decision you have to go with it. Yes, if it doesn't work out you have to evauate what wnt wrong, what was preventable and what was not but lookng back with regret is a futile effort.

I wasn't happy with the way Ollie was forced on the program and I was disturbed with what I saw from the season before this past one. However, Ollie deserved this past season to get things back on track and he didn't. He's gone, move on.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
In retrospect, who else thinks Calhoun regrets what he did to get Ollie the HC job? When you think about it, it was a pretty dumb thing. To put a guy in charge of a program like Uconn, with no HC experience and what, 3 years as an assistant? A nice career at Uconn, an overachiever in the NBA, a nice person, none of that qualifies you as a head coach. I feel bad for Ollie, he was in way over his head. JC should have known better. But of course he will never say it or admit he should not have done what he did.
Not a qualm back.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
A-man-of-genius-makes-no-mistakes.jpg

Reaction Score
Did anyone else read Calhoun's book way back when? I feel like I remember a section on it that talked about coaches putting a bad coach in place to replace them so their legacy is cemented.

I'm not saying that's what happened, I'm just saying... I think it was in the book. Does anyone still have it around their house or actually remember? It's been at least 10 years since I skimmed it.

Reaction Score
UConn won a National Championship and we now have an excellent head coach. It all worked out fine.

... and we get a chance to prove that we are among the very few elite programs to win a Natty under three ( or more ) different coaches.

Reaction Score
I'd ask, respectfully, that you examine the logic of your response. Are you saying that the same KO deficiencies that left our men's basketball program in disarray also gave us the NC? Are you saying that a coach lacking those deficiencies would have been less likely to pull it off?

Or are you saying that a NC is pot luck and having one in hand is worth the destruction of a basketball program? Aren't JC's three championships proof that winning titles is not pot luck -- that winning titles is what strong programs do? And a strong program is what JC left to KO.

As to guarantees, where is the guarantee that Shabazz might not have led us to the title in 2014 with a competent coach? Where is the guarantee that a strong program, developed by a competent coach, might not by now have won a 5th NC, or a 6th? And be positioned to win more.

To answer the OP's question, I'm sure that JC does question his choice. Not that it was "dumb." It was questionable judgment, influenced more by friendship and good will than by objectivity. Perhaps KO deserved his chance and hence you are right in saying "No regrets." But definitely "second thoughts."
First of all to say our basketball program has been destroyed is a foolish exaggeration. We are probably two players away from tournament bid with the prospect that some returning players will improve. UConn is not Pittsburgh.
JC did not coach UConn to its last NCC. KO was the coach and won it as a 7 seed and you can't take that away from him. We weren't the most talented team by a long shot.
So no matter how many rocks KO deserves to get thrown at him for the last 2 seasons his accomplishments shouldn't be dismissed.
It was time for a coaching change and I think we have the right guy but you never really know.

Reaction Score
If we're discussing how the '14 team won the national title, the strongest argument for why we won is we shot 89%+ as a TEAM from the foul line for the entire tournament. That is absolutely insane, and a testament to the emphasis the coaching staff put on it and the work the players put in.

Was it Glenn Miller who worked the free throw drills? Is that correct?

Reaction Score
So right... if we miss even 5% more, it was a different tournament.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
In retrospect, who else thinks Calhoun regrets what he did to get Ollie the HC job?
Regrets, he's had a few
But then again,
Too few to mention.
He did, what he had to do
And saw it through,
Without Exemption.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads