Calhoun is The Greatest Of All Time | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Calhoun is The Greatest Of All Time

Reaction Score
“The kids took a chance coming here,” Calhoun said. “They’ve rewarded me, the coaches, the university every single day. They believed in us.

“I’ve been fortunate to have a couple of championships before. This ranks with any championship I’ve had for postseason play just because of the circumstances under which we came.”

Reaction Score
How many career wins do y’all think he will finish with? Right now he is 911-394 (.698)

my guess is he’s shooting for 1000 which should be reachable in approximately 4 more years if he averages about 23 wins.

Reaction Score
Can't believe Dick Vitale didn't put him in the Mount Rushmore of College Basketball Coaches (yet he puts Roy Williams).
are you kidding me, i'd be less surprised waking up with my face glued to the carpet then i would be if vitale showed UConn any love.
all he cares about are duke, unc, kentucky, msu, kansas etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Pretty special being the best of all time in your craft. He's like the old jeweler still working with what he has to make them shine their brightest. The picture with him climbing the ladder is priceless looking at the expression of the players.

Reaction Score
Love the fact that we have a former coach who can be such a great mentor for our new coach. & a new coach who respects and admires the tradition here and wants to leverage JC.

Reaction Score
I'm just amazed and shame on me........JC is the GOAT. A program like UConn to 4 titles and now with very poor health takes a brand new basketball program to their national tournament. CRAZY.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
When Dean Smith as at UNC and getting a lot of great players, I used to wonder how he would have done if he went to some unknown program and if someone else took over UNC. Calhoun might be providing a clue.

Reaction Score
Tell us something we don't know.

Jim is a Top 5 greatest coach of all time. But he is the #1 builder of programs coach that has ever existed. No one else is close. Eager to see Dan Hurley become a member of that same club.

C

Chief00

Calhoun would never want me to say it, but what makes this even more amazing is he’s doing it under tough health circumstances. Chief usually believes in forgiveness but I can never forgive the woman and KO’s law firm that mentioned the cup incident. The man had half his stomach cut out and she’s complaining about picking a few cups up off the floor. Gets Chief’s blood boiling, but Jim gets to the tournament anyways.

Reaction Score
100% true and transparent story: When Perno was fired, I sat down and wrote endless lists of whom I thought might be or wanted to be the next coach. I had covered the team for the Daily Campus in 77-79 and had known about, met and or spoke with many of the so-called candidates. I had lists of "Unattainable Coaches (John Thompson-like names)," "Assistant Coaches I loved," "Usual Suspects (guys who had thrown their hat in the ring early)," "Low D-1 coaches ready to move up." Lists like that.

But from the beginning, JC was my man. I had interviewed him several times and watched him at Northeastern and honestly was inspired by the guy. I told my closest UConn friends if he's appointed, I guarantee he will win a national championship for us. And to a fault, all of them laughed. My favorite line from one of my friends was, "right, like we're gonna be better than the Runnin' Rebs." We still talk about it decades later.

Ironic, since I don't ever make predictions about anything. If anything I'm a bit of an unsure pessimist. (In '99 in Tampa, I expected to lose and was simply hoping for a credible showing. I was at the game and it took me 10 seconds after the final buzzer to actually believe we had won.)

But Jimmy was different and I believed in him hook, line and sinker. There was no doubt in mind he would lead us out of the desert.

All that said, I thought many of the same things about Bob Diaco...so I am hardly clarivoyant. But with Jim, I was ready to buy the bridge he was selling in Brooklyn.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Simply the best, that is what Jim Calhoun is.

He is done more with less than any other coach I can think of

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
When Perno was coaching (actually fairly successfully pre-Big East), and then flopping in the BE, people used to wonder what good players would want to go to a cow town like Storrs. I would think to myself, well Wilt the Stilt went from (Phiily?) to Lawrence Kansas. Storrs isn’t all that far from Boston and other good places it just takes the right coach. JC was it. I wasn’t always a fan of his methods. One game where I sat right behind the bench was pretty,um, entertaining, especially since it was a game where he was yanking players left and right, struggling to a W over a lesser
team. One of a kind for sure.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When Perno was coaching (actually fairly successfully pre-Big East), and then flopping in the BE, people used to wonder what good players would want to go to a cow town like Storrs. I would think to myself, well Wilt the Stilt went from (Phiily?) to Lawrence Kansas. Storrs isn’t all that far from Boston and other good places it just takes the right coach. JC was it. I wasn’t always a fan of his methods. One game where I sat right behind the bench was pretty,um, entertaining, especially since it was a game where he was yanking players left and right, struggling to a W over a lesser
team. One of a kind for sure.
We were ranked when Corny, Mike McKay and Chuck (he''s dead to me now) Aleksinas were here. That was 80-82 after we joined the Big East.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom