Calhoun is Back!!! | The Boneyard

Calhoun is Back!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Isn't 2 mil the cost for naming rights of the new practice facility? Calhoun Center for Kids Who Play Basketball Good. I can see it now
Not even close. The website says 10 million.

Reaction Score
Something should be done to honor JC and I believe the practice facility should be named after him regardless. Who cares if Geno cries, im sure he will get over it.

Reaction Score
Looks like besides being an amazing basketball coach, the old guy can still add. 2>1. Advantage UConn. The school and community are way better off with Coach still around in any capacity.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Does this mean that JC is not going to to become the next head coach of ____________?

U

UCONNfan1

Something should be done to honor JC and I believe the practice facility should be named after him regardless. Who cares if Geno cries, im sure he will get over it.
They can certainly name the court on the men's side practice facility after him. I think that would be a terrific way to honor him.

Reaction Score
They can certainly name the court on the men's side practice facility after him. I think that would be a terrific way to honor him.
They should name the mens one after Calhoun and the women's one after Geno. That way they both get recognition for what they have done for the university.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Dang it. Now no one can say "NOT ONE DIME BACK"! Great gesture by President Herbst and JC!

Reaction Score
So lets get this straight. The old legendary coach comes back to glad hand for possible donations, chat about the good times and be a presence on the campus? Kevin Ollie must be LOVING this. It is hard enough following a 'legend', but imagine what it is like when the legend is still looking over your shoulder all the time, reminding everyone of how great his teams were. I honestly feel bad for the new coach.

That is why they say it is always better to replace the guy who replaced the legend.

Reaction Score
"I'm not replacing coach Calhoun," Ollie said. "He's here, and I'll lean on him for a lot of advice."

"Coach is a great reader of people. Before I ask the question, he's already giving me the answer. But he knows when it's time for him to back off. And he knows when to give me a pat on the back, like he's always done. I'll lean on him as much as possible. I'd be a fool if I didn't."

Ollie said having Calhoun being on this trip and working courtside as a radio analyst (he'll also be in the Virgin Islands next week for the Paradise Jam) is welcomed considering "he's a second father to me. He taught me a lot of things, supported me off the court. I love having him as a resource."

"I just think it's good to be here and talk to Kevin afterwards and more importantly to support Kevin," Calhoun said. "This is his ship and his program."

On Jim Calhoun’s presence. “… I’d say we talk every other day. I call him, he doesn’t usually call me. We’ll sit down after practice and talk, just the two of us, for two or three hours. I don’t know where the time goes. We have a special relationship that way. … He knows when to back off, he knows when it’s time for me to do what I need to do. He wasn’t at First Night, he wasn’t at the first practice. But I always want him to be around.”

You are right, Kevin Ollie is LOVING this.

Reaction Score
So lets get this straight. The old legendary coach comes back to glad hand for possible donations, chat about the good times and be a presence on the campus? Kevin Ollie must be LOVING this. It is hard enough following a 'legend', but imagine what it is like when the legend is still looking over your shoulder all the time, reminding everyone of how great his teams were. I honestly feel bad for the new coach.

That is why they say it is always better to replace the guy who replaced the legend.

Read 61cygni so you can understand a little better then you can throw your PC 2 cents up in the wind!!!;).............

Reaction Score
Read 61cygni so you can understand a little better then you can throw your PC 2 cents up in the wind!!!;).............
It's not a knock on Uconn. Most people do not want the old guard still around when they are trying to make their own mark on the program.

Reaction Score
It's not a knock on Uconn. Most people do not want the old guard still around when they are trying to make their own mark on the program.

I think you're totally wrong on this. Schools keep popular retired coaches around for a long time because of their ability to raise money and serve as consultants. It happens everywhere. Especially at Uconn where the coach and former coach have a great relationship, it makes sense.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score

The Big difference is we didn't hire outside of the family. If for example they hired Shaka, I would imagine there would be some concern. At UConn it's not an issue with Coach Ollie.

Reaction Score
It's been happening for years at St. John's with Carnesseca. It actually happened twice at Providence with Joe Mullaney, and then with Dave Gavitt.
Unfortunately, for PC, there are no living legends around anymore.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Secure people can handle it.

Reaction Score
Ollie has said that Calhoun has been like a father to him. JC is an incredible resource for both Kevin and the program. What's not to like?

Reaction Score

You have no clue what you are talking about since you don't follow our program like we do. I'm sure Seanmac will be on here to give us his opinion also.

Why do PeeCee fans come one here anyway? They're starting to annoy me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom