Calhoun hand picked Ollie as his successor | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Calhoun hand picked Ollie as his successor

Reaction Score
Defend Ollie’s coaching. Go ahead. Defend losing to Wagner last year. Or the first losing season in 30 odd years. Or hearing it getting blown out by Arkansas was ok because the “will probably be a Tourney team in March.” ( my personal favorite excuse by the way. Remember when we used to beat all comers.)Even you are losing interest and Ollie is doing exactly what I said he’d do. The big difference is that we were in position to land a big time coach when he was hired. Now it will be much tougher.
Indeed. Maybe people forgot, or just didn't realize, but UConn used to BE Arkansas, winning those kind of games they weren't expected to win.

How about beating UVA in 1993 ? Beat #12 Virginia on their home court by 40. That's what UConn USED to be. (BTW, watching now... )

Now, they're on the receiving end of that kind of beat down.

I highly recommend you watch that game and contrast that team and their style of play with how they're playing now. Keep in mind that Donyell, Donny, Sheffer, Ollie, and Travis started that game, but just in the first half, Ray, Brian Fair, Rudy Johnson, Kirk King, Hayward, and Boo all got significant minutes. Frankly, the offense wasn't much better in that game than much of the last 20-30 years of UConn basketball, but the pressure defense and transition offense led to a major blowout.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He had JC's players, and but for a heroic run by a very special player, KO would be the KO we have. He got lucky and special players saved him.

Why is it that so many of you KO haters have to go as far as to say that it was because of Jim Calhoun and Shabazz only that we won that National Championship in 2014?

As I said on another thread, the recent trend and moreover KO's recent acceptance of mediocrity are definite negatives and if he does not turn them around he will not last too much longer. But to continue take it to this extreme canard that he got lucky in 2014 is not only ridiculous, but it makes you and anyone else who makes this similar claim look like an ignorant fool.

Yes, Shabazz was obviously the best player in that tournament for 5 1/2 of the 6 games and without him we have no chance. But go through each game and I can show you points where Kevin Ollie obviously out-coached each and every other coach he faced in that tournament - including Jay Wright, the great Tom Izzo (who I happen to think is a great coach), Billy Donovan and John Calipari.

Here is just one example: our coach who you so obviously think has always been terrible is the one who devised and actually implemented essentially a 4-guard 1-forward lineup with 6'5" white guy Niels Giffey defending the center position in the National Championship game for significant portions of that game - and it worked. I am quite sure that you think you could have come up with the same strategy BlueDogs because as you say, you along with everyone else is smarter than Kevin Ollie. And I am quite sure on that point that you are 100% full of crap.

Honestly, I have never seen a segment of a fan base so disrespectful of a National Championship in my life. It really is pathetic, and reflects much more on you than on Kevin Ollie.

Reaction Score
Indeed. Maybe people forgot, or just didn't realize, but UConn used to BE Arkansas, winning those kind of games they weren't expected to win.

How about beating UVA in 1993 ? Beat #12 Virginia on their home court by 40. That's what UConn USED to be. (BTW, watching now... )

Now, they're on the receiving end of that kind of beat down.

Watching the start of that game makes it even more apparent how extremely slow we play. There is no sense of urgency or fast breaks during the Ollie tenure, which is what I believe makes some of these games so unwatchable.

Reaction Score
Why is it that so many of you KO haters have to go as far as to say that it was because of Jim Calhoun and Shabazz only that we won that National Championship in 2014?

Honestly, I have never seen a segment of a fan base so disrespectful of a National Championship in my life. It really is pathetic, and reflects much more on you than on Kevin Ollie.

You're just wrong. Nobody "disrespects" that Championship. Not.One.Person. It was an incredible accomplishment.

The fact is that strategic and tactical moves in that game, do not define a career. It's just that simple. Nobody can take away the 2014 championship, but that does not make up for the failures of the last 2 or 3 years, nor of the last 2 games.

The fact is that Jim Calhoun's unparalleled greatness is only now becoming as clear as day. Not only did he win 3 championships, but 2 years after he left, his legacy resulted in a 4th championship. Amazing. Kevin Ollie certainly played a major par

Reaction Score
You're just wrong. Nobody "disrespects" that Championship. Not.One.Person. It was an incredible accomplishment.

The fact is that strategic and tactical moves in that game, do not define a career. It's just that simple. Nobody can take away the 2014 championship, but that does not make up for the failures of the last 2 or 3 years, nor of the last 2 games.

The fact is that Jim Calhoun's unparalleled greatness is only now becoming as clear as day. Not only did he win 3 championships, but 2 years after he left, his legacy resulted in a 4th championship. Amazing. Kevin Ollie certainly played a major par

First of all, to answer your utterly false retort that Ollie only came up with an ingenious out-of-the-box strategy to win the Championship game versus Kentucky and not the other games is another one of your groups' canards. Again... makes you look like a fool. I mean seriously. Did you even watch any of those 6 games? Kevin Ollie ate Jay Wright's lunch in the round of 32 game against Villanova - and without Shabazz for the last 12 crucial minutes of the first half of that game, I might add. If you need me to go more in-depth on this and the other games and continue to show you for the ignorant fool you are being, by all means let me know. That 6-game run does not define a career, but he sure as hell deserves a lot more credit for that 4th National Championship than you want to give him credit for.

What I do not understand about guys like you, BlueDogs, Freescooter and others is that you seem incapable of being able to admit that the same person can be the one most responsible (with huge help from others, starting obviously with Shabazz) for something great: our National Championship in 2014, and also the most responsible for this more recent period, when by most measures he has been doing a less than stellar job. What is so hard about understanding that, and admitting to it?

And yes... to come out and say that Ollie was "lucky" for winning the championship in 2014 is to disrespect it. It certainly disrespects him. And he was the Head Coach at the time. Every one of you takes it for granted that we would have won that year if Calhoun was coaching that team... and that is disrespectful of that team and what they and Ollie accomplished together. I would put any other coaches odds of winning that title with that group running through that group of 6 opponents at about 1 in 10. And that is probably generous.

And before you come out with some sort of response that I have anything but the greatest respect for what Jim Calhoun did for this university by saying he most likely would not have won that National Championship in 2014, let me just state again that I will always believe that Jim Calhoun was one of the 2 or 3 best coaches that men's college basketball has ever seen. And his building of our program may well be the best building job ever. Period.

But he is also the same coach who just a year after his 3rd National Championship in 2011 was also the head coach who led the 2011-2012 preseason ranked #4 team in the country to a 20-14 ranking, 8-10 in the Big East and a rather atrocious 13-point loss to Iowa State in the first round of the 2012 NCAA tournament in a game that we were not in at all after halftime. Did the team under-achieve that year and in that game? By almost any measure, yes. Does that take away from Jim Calhoun's legacy at the University of Connecticut overall? No

Reaction Score
First of all, to answer your utterly false retort that Ollie only came up with an ingenious out-of-the-box strategy to win the Championship game versus Kentucky and not the other games is another one of your groups' canards.

Whatever. Nowhere in my response did I make the claim that his game plan or adjustments applied to ONLY the title game.

The fact that you're actually going to compare Ollie to Calhoun and point to one of the few years a Calhoun team failed to meet expectations is laughably ridiculous. Just stop.

The beauty is, ultimately, the results on the court will decide things. Either Ollie can get this team to perform or they're going to get the snot beat out of them by a number of teams this year. There's just no hiding from that fact.

I don't know what planet you're living on that you think people "disrespect" the 2014 championship, but that season, that tournament run, etc. is wholly, 100% IRRELEVANT to the team's performance, basically EVER SINCE.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

As I said on another thread, the recent trend and moreover KO's recent acceptance of mediocrity are definite negatives and if he does not turn them around he will not last too much longer. But to continue take it to this extreme canard that he got lucky in 2014 is not only ridiculous, but it makes you and anyone else who makes this similar claim look like an ignorant fool.

Yes, Shabazz was obviously the best player in that tournament for 5 1/2 of the 6 games and without him we have no chance. But go through each game and I can show you points where Kevin Ollie obviously out-coached each and every other coach he faced in that tournament - including Jay Wright, the great Tom Izzo (who I happen to think is a great coach), Billy Donovan and John Calipari.

Here is just one example: our coach who you so obviously think has always been terrible is the one who devised and actually implemented essentially a 4-guard 1-forward lineup with 6'5" white guy Niels Giffey defending the center position in the National Championship game for significant portions of that game - and it worked. I am quite sure that you think you could have come up with the same strategy BlueDogs because as you say, you along with everyone else is smarter than Kevin Ollie. And I am quite sure on that point that you are 100% full of crap.

I agree. The way he aggressively used Boat to pick up the pg at half court was a huge factor in our success. It was downright brilliant. I wanted to see more of that. Not sure we have the talent to do that this year. But definitely should’ve done it more in 2015/2016

Reaction Score
This program was JC's baby. He built it from a Big East cellar-dweller to a multi-National Championship program. KO was his former player. He was his assistant coach when we won it all in 2011. He's been part of the UConn family. But Calhoun must have seen something else in him for him to hand KO the keys to the program.

The majority of us were all behind him. It was his first head coaching job, and it was at his alma mater, a blueblood program(yeah, I said that). First 2 years we were all behind him, very much engaged in every game, and his players certainly fought for him - getting through the tourney ban year with 20 wins, then the following year a mediocre regular season (by our standards) capped by another magical NCAA Tourney run to the title. We were on top of the world again.

Since then, it's been a fairly steady downhill slide. We've missed the tourney 2 of the last 3 years, and the year we made it it took another miraculous conference tourney run to cement a bid (although we learned after the fact that we were in the dance anyway, but we didn't know at the time). And this year after a handful of games it's been another sluggish showing and the impatience has boiled over.

What's happened? Is KO's inexperience so apparent now that it's blinding? Was he doing things right the first couple years that he's gotten away from or was it all just better players handed down from JC? Bazz, Boat, DD, Giffey, etc. Did they mask KO's inefficiencies with their talent? The consistent lack of offensive flow or play selection, trouble both shooting & defending the 3, and other problems in recent years have gotten too common and too familiar. Has the recruiting eroded so much now since we entered this makeshift conference that there's no way out unless we kick KO to the curb or drop football and go back to the Big East 2.0?

Point I'm getting at is, KO must have had some ability to coach and recruit if Calhoun chose him, no? Or was it mostly Warde's decision all along to pick a coach that he knew would be popular with the fanbase and Calhoun just being supportive? Has JC been mentoring KO through all this? Giving him advice, pointing out the weaknesses of KO's coaching and offering suggestions & tips? Has he been involved at all? Although JC is at St. Joseph's now, I doubt he can still do that if he's been doing it before. But if KO was around JC long enough, he must have picked up some coaching knowledge from him. Didn't he?

It would pain me to see KO get the boot knowing how all this started, but in the end it's about the UConn program, not the individual. We're only 7 games in. He's not getting axed mid-season anyway so I'll hold out a flicker of hope that he figures this all out and has us playing better basketball as the season progresses.
two 5 star players coming in next year. Wilson and Akinjo. If team is no better, then KO will go.

Reaction Score
The fact is that strategic and tactical moves in that game, do not define a career.

I'm sorry... but in my understanding of the English language, "that game" refers to that one game. Maybe you have a different understanding of how the English language works from the way it was taught in school to me and everyone else on this board. Or, better yet, you should choose your words better. Because I am only responding to your poor word choice.

As to your "wholly, 100% IRRELEVANT" comment... my point stands. You, BlueDogs, Freescooter and anyone else who takes credit away from Kevin Ollie for that 2014 championship is being disrespectful toward a man who has represented this university a heck of a lot more successfully, even with his recent mistakes, than you... or me, for that matter.

And finally - you once again show what a tool you are for falsely taking my comments on Coach Calhoun and somehow turning them into a comparison of his career to Kevin Ollie's. To anyone who has beyond a grammar school reading comprehension, that is obviously not what I said. At all. I was saying even the greatest coach we have ever seen could and did have a down period. And the facts are that he actually had several of them during his amazing 26-year run as the head coach of this great University. Furthermore, I bet if you asked him he would not even take the level of credit for the 2014 championship that you want to give him.

Done with this argument though, since you are obviously willing to make crap up instead of sticking to the facts.. and that is just a waste of my time.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

If by nobody you mean 1/2 of Ollie’s most vocal critics, then you have a point.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Calhoun coaching tree is remarkably small. And it really does look like he made a mistake in his choice of Ollie.
Not so much...
Champions.jpg

That doesn't mean that Ollie gets a pass now. It does mean that it is pretty tough to say a decision that resulted in us getting natty #4 was a "mistake."

(Somewhat OT: Have we have a player with better stank face than Boat? Maybe Roscoe but probably not.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom