Calhoun hand picked Ollie as his successor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Calhoun hand picked Ollie as his successor

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
KO is a great assistant coach. He's the guy players can turn to when HC rips into them. He's great at playing the "i've been there before, keep grinding" role. He recruits on knowing where these kids come from and what they're going through. He coaches like he's their brother. That's great for an AC. We need someone harder at the helm.

Reaction Score
The Calhoun coaching tree is remarkably small. And it really does look like he made a mistake in his choice of Ollie. Not like it was the first time. But name a Jim Calhoun assistant who has been a big success. He surrounded himself with good assistants. And in this instance he let ego get in the way of sound judgement. I also wonder if he wanted a guy he could, not exactly control, but certainly influence. As far as Manuel goes, yet another craptastic decision. But in this instance he knew the right thing to do was conduct a national search. UConn was in a place where several big of up and coming guys would have taken the job. Instead he took the he easy way out, yet in his own inimitable way managed to do it in a way that damaged the program. And by the way how many of the UConn faithful who threatened to not go to gains unless Ollie got the job were among the 6800 empty seats last night? Gawd he was terrible.
There's an exceptionally high chance if any other coach took over for Calhoun other than Ollie we do not win a championship. For that reason he will never have been a "mistake." Even if his UConn career doesn't pan out long term, his first two years were special and it gave us another championship.

Reaction Score
Did we forget this is a brand new team?

I'm withholding any negative judgement on Ollie until this year's over. Yeah we've looked BRUTAL in every game except Oregon (which still was meh), but I think there's hope.

I'm an Ollie guy 100%.

Shoutouts from Newport Beach CA. First boneyard post but I've been following for years.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
There's an exceptionally high chance if any other coach took over for Calhoun other than Ollie we do not win a championship. For that reason he will never have been a "mistake." Even if his UConn career doesn't pan out long term, his first two years were special and it gave us another championship.

Based on this assumption, if you told me in the beginning that KO would win a championship within 6 years vs another coach that would not, its still clearly a no-brainer. But, if you told me that we would struggle to make the NCAAs yearly vs another coach that take us to the sweet 16 every year then it makes it more interesting.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
When you've built up a program and decide it's time to step away you want someone you see as an extension of yourself to take over. I believe JC felt KO was that guy and he likely was. When things started going sideways JC tried to reel in Ollie and re-calibrate what he was doing to fall back in line with what JC had laid out for the past 25 years. KO resisted and there began the distance in their relationship. At some point a successor will inevitably deviate from the predecessor, but the degree with which Ollie has tanked the program has to be heart-wrenching to Calhoun as the architect of the program but also as a mentor and loving friend of Ollie. I refuse to believe JC has stood by idly watching this dumpster fire.
KO and JC couldn't be more different so I don't see how he's an extension of JC. It would be one thing if JC wanted to run the program from a distance through KO, but he's actually distanced himself. Maybe because KO is failing and JC doesn't want to damage his own legacy by being associated with its decline. Or.......maybe George Blainey was the secret ingredient..... ;)

Reaction Score
I said it and was accused of everything but starting the Boer War. I find it interesting that some of the people who screamed the loudest now are calling for Ollie’s Head.
You get that reaction because you disappear anytime things are going well, only to return when something bad happens.

You’re the definition of a troll.

Reaction Score

Do you know who you are responding to? Freescooter was merciless against Ollie in 2014, and then he disappeared in March and April. Missing.

Reaction Score
I love really smart people. You see them in every walk of life. They have the magical gift of getting into other bodies, explaining how a situation is, and providing a fix.

It's amazing. Without even having a conversation with the subject, or someone really in the know, and destroying them in one or two sentences on a keyboard.

I believe JC felt,
There's an exceptionally high chance,
And it really does look like,
he must have picked up some coaching,
I think it's very obvious,
Could be as simple as,
Its possible (likely) that Ollie,
Ollie is clearly in self pity mode,
I’ve said this more times that I can count on....etc....etc....

I don't know why JC left the game early. I would ask him and only him and get the real answer. There could be 100 different reasons. I don't know how Ollie feels during or after these games. I can only hear what he, and only he, says in the post game interviews....and he normally explains the how and why.

Reaction Score
Coach Ollie needs to continue to win, recruit good players and have a good relationship with them. He has to win and sell himself to recruits. The noise of Ollie getting fired or wouldn't be at UCONN for long is only going to make it harder in the recruiting world. Unless UCONN can hire a very credible and high profile coach the results will be the same. You have to be able to sell something to recruits and right now it's not UCONN playing in the All American Conference or the location in the cow pasture.
I disagree. It would be nice to hire a high profile coach but not imperative. Greg Marshall was not a high profile. Ed Cooley coached at Fairfield. Look at what the leprechaun is doing at Cincinnati. You may argue those guys never won a championship but they might and their teams are competitively good. I’m a casual fan so I don’t know who’s doing a great job under the radar but I sure there are some out there and HC at UConn is still a pretty good gig.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Kinda like Mello?
Kinda like Danny M?
Kinda like Anthony D - the unibrow?
Kinda like a lot of cases?

Yeah could be that simple
Pretty good supporting cast (Boat, Giffey, Daniels) but he was unworldly that year!

Reaction Score
You get that reaction because you disappear anytime things are going well, only to return when something bad happens.

You’re the definition of a troll.
Defend Ollie’s coaching. Go ahead. Defend losing to Wagner last year. Or the first losing season in 30 odd years. Or hearing it getting blown out by Arkansas was ok because the “will probably be a Tourney team in March.” ( my personal favorite excuse by the way. Remember when we used to beat all comers.)Even you are losing interest and Ollie is doing exactly what I said he’d do. The big difference is that we were in position to land a big time coach when he was hired. Now it will be much tougher.

Reaction Score
Defend Ollie’s coaching. Go ahead. Defend losing to Wagner last year. Or the first losing season in 30 odd years. Or hearing it getting blown out by Arkansas was ok because the “will probably be a Tourney team in March.” ( my personal favorite excuse by the way. Remember when we used to beat all comers.)Even you are losing interest and Ollie is doing exactly what I said he’d do. The big difference is that we were in position to land a big time coach when he was hired. Now it will be much tougher.
Nice try to deflect.

I’ve been one of Ollie’s bigger critics on here for years now.

Reaction Score
Not sure means anything. Maybe he had another commitment etc.

But I was at game last night and saw JC there. He walked out and left the building a few minutes after Columbia inbounded that dead ball in front of the UConn bench for a dunk as the Huskies napped....

No Husky timeout called after that play BTW....play on...
That play perfectly summed up everything wrong with KO and his kids.

Reaction Score
He had JC's players, and but for a heroic run by a very special player, KO would be the KO we have. He got lucky and special players saved him.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
The chickens have come home to roost. The JC tecruits are gone. It's on Ollie and his 6'9 165 lb recruits

Reaction Score
He had JC's players, and but for a heroic run by a very special player, KO would be the KO we have. He got lucky and special players saved him.
While I think that's not true, even if that is the case, any other coach probably doesn't win that championship

Reaction Score
When you've built up a program and decide it's time to step away you want someone you see as an extension of yourself to take over. I believe JC felt KO was that guy and he likely was. When things started going sideways JC tried to reel in Ollie and re-calibrate what he was doing to fall back in line with what JC had laid out for the past 25 years. KO resisted and there began the distance in their relationship. At some point a successor will inevitably deviate from the predecessor, but the degree with which Ollie has tanked the program has to be heart-wrenching to Calhoun as the architect of the program but also as a mentor and loving friend of Ollie. I refuse to believe JC has stood by idly watching this dumpster fire.

Serious question. How do you know this is the way it's happened?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Before seeing this response, I was simply going to say that he was being generous toward you.
Point out your positive contribution to this board. Go ahead.
Or start now...

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I personally doubt the program would be in a better position had JC stayed. I have little doubt JC is the better coach, but I do doubt we’d be better off now, if he had stayed.

Different times.

This program was JC's baby. He built it from a Big East cellar-dweller to a multi-National Championship program. KO was his former player. He was his assistant coach when we won it all in 2011. He's been part of the UConn family. But Calhoun must have seen something else in him for him to hand KO the keys to the program.

The majority of us were all behind him. It was his first head coaching job, and it was at his alma mater, a blueblood program(yeah, I said that). First 2 years we were all behind him, very much engaged in every game, and his players certainly fought for him - getting through the tourney ban year with 20 wins, then the following year a mediocre regular season (by our standards) capped by another magical NCAA Tourney run to the title. We were on top of the world again.

Since then, it's been a fairly steady downhill slide. We've missed the tourney 2 of the last 3 years, and the year we made it it took another miraculous conference tourney run to cement a bid (although we learned after the fact that we were in the dance anyway, but we didn't know at the time). And this year after a handful of games it's been another sluggish showing and the impatience has boiled over.

What's happened? Is KO's inexperience so apparent now that it's blinding? Was he doing things right the first couple years that he's gotten away from or was it all just better players handed down from JC? Bazz, Boat, DD, Giffey, etc. Did they mask KO's inefficiencies with their talent? The consistent lack of offensive flow or play selection, trouble both shooting & defending the 3, and other problems in recent years have gotten too common and too familiar. Has the recruiting eroded so much now since we entered this makeshift conference that there's no way out unless we kick KO to the curb or drop football and go back to the Big East 2.0?

Point I'm getting at is, KO must have had some ability to coach and recruit if Calhoun chose him, no? Or was it mostly Warde's decision all along to pick a coach that he knew would be popular with the fanbase and Calhoun just being supportive? Has JC been mentoring KO through all this? Giving him advice, pointing out the weaknesses of KO's coaching and offering suggestions & tips? Has he been involved at all? Although JC is at St. Joseph's now, I doubt he can still do that if he's been doing it before. But if KO was around JC long enough, he must have picked up some coaching knowledge from him. Didn't he?

It would pain me to see KO get the boot knowing how all this started, but in the end it's about the UConn program, not the individual. We're only 7 games in. He's not getting axed mid-season anyway so I'll hold out a flicker of hope that he figures this all out and has us playing better basketball as the season progresses.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I personally doubt the program would be in a better position had JC stayed. I have little doubt JC is the better coach, but I do doubt we’d be better off now, if he had stayed.

Different times.

It's not about if JC had stayed (he would have most likely retired soon after anyway), it's about if he made the correct choice of KO to succeed him, especially since this is his first head coaching gig. Pretty big shoes to fill and a lot of pressure to continue what JC built here.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Different times.
And JC would be the first person to say that!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
It's not about if JC had stayed (he would have most likely retired soon after anyway), it's about if he made the correct choice of KO to succeed him, especially since this is his first head coaching gig. Pretty big shoes to fill and a lot of pressure to continue what JC built here.

Ollie had the potential of being a great choice. At the time JC suggested Ollie as his replacement, Ollie was the best choice as his replacement. And 2014 proved him correct.

Nothing that has happened since this time is on JC.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ollie had the potential of being a great choice. At the time JC suggested Ollie as his replacement, Ollie was the best choice as his replacement. And 2014 proved him correct.

Nothing that has happened since this time is on JC.

Yep, at a certain point, it's up to the coach in question to pick up the reins and drive the sled on his own. Ollie did so at first, but then went off course.

Reaction Score
And ? I guess I'm missing the point. Been 5 years. Ollie's failure(s) are entirely his own at this point and has absolutely nothing to do with Jim Calhoun. His endorsement 5 years ago is IRRELEVANT

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom