Calhoun doing a sitdown with Bob Ryan | The Boneyard

Calhoun doing a sitdown with Bob Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Saw it tweeted by a Globe staffer. Should be an awesome piece when all said and done. Ryan's recent podcasts with Bill Simmons are great, hopefully this, too, will be fun and insightful. Supposedly Calhoun will be in the Globe office tomorrow

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Hopefully, his mission is to pump up UConn in the context of CR and BB's return to full strength.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
And I will be there tomorrow! Alumni and some Globe subscribers were invited. Not sure how many people will be there. Anyone got any good questions for JC? I was going to ask how the heck UConn lost to George Mason in 2006 but decided that wouldn't go over so well!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
And I will be there tomorrow! Alumni and some Globe subscribers were invited. Not sure how many people will be there. Anyone got any good questions for JC? I was going to ask how the heck UConn lost to George Mason in 2006 but decided that wouldn't go over so well!

Ask him how the duck* we're going to get out of this conference and where will we end up? And when.

Reaction Score
Ask him how the duck* we're going to get out of this conference and where will we end up? And when.
That's a good one that I thought of. I wish he knew the answer to that!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That's a good one that I thought of. I wish he knew the answer to that!

The phrase "I don't know" is not in his rotation - he will give you some sort of answer.

Whether it's reality based or not, who knows.

Reaction Score
I would ask if he's taking part in getting NBA feedback for Shabazz and Boatright and what that feedback is and IF it will be determinant of their decisions to come back to UConn.

I'd ask him if anyone knows exactly what happened to Mark Emmert when he was at UConn that made him particularly interested in punishing the school.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

That question was already answered. It was some form of 25 guys, 25 cabs. Too many guys choosing to showcase to the NBA over winning a title.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would ask if he's taking part in getting NBA feedback for Shabazz and Boatright and what that feedback is and IF it will be determinant of their decisions to come back to UConn.
Has he had a chance to speak with Bazz, Boat and Daniels about the decision to comeback, and does he have a sense of their current thinking.

I might throw him a bone and ask how he felt watching Kevin coach this year and did KO exceed even his expectations.

Reaction Score
That question was already answered. It was some form of 25 guys, 25 cabs. Too many guys choosing to showcase to the NBA over winning a title.

Or you could say from this year's tourney alone
Same reason Georgetown lost to FGCU and/or
New Mexico lost to Harvard
or to lesser seed differential extents
Gonzaga lost to Wichita St
Wisconsin lost to Ole Miss
St. Louis lost to Oregon
KState lost to LaSalle
= nature of a one-and-done tournament

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Or you could say from this year's tourney alone
Same reason Georgetown lost to FGCU and/or
New Mexico lost to Harvard
or to lesser seed differential extents
Gonzaga lost to Wichita St
Wisconsin lost to Ole Miss
St. Louis lost to Oregon
KState lost to LaSalle
= nature of a one-and-done tournament

Except I wasn't referring to those game, just GM. I believe JC has alluded to this in the past. He'd never say it outright. Those who watched that entire Feb/Mar of 2006, know it to be true.

Reaction Score
Except I wasn't referring to those game, just GM. I believe JC has alluded to this in the past. He'd never say it outright. Those who watched that entire Feb/Mar of 2006, know it to be true.

So if Denham Brown's 3 goes in would you know it to be false?
My point is teams win/lose for a multitude of reasons (and we've been over this one ad nauseum here), upsets happen etc...

Reaction Score
I'd ask him specifically about Uconn getting out of the conference. Really, that's all that matters at this point. You can always ask him his thoughts on the job Jeff Hathaway did as well.... :D

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Ask him about the time 2 guys tried to mug him while he was coaching at Northeastern. From what I have heard hinted about by Ryan (IIRC), things went very badly for the 2 young men.

Reaction Score
Ask him why he didn't play zone defense against Mississippi State or why Doron Sheffer forgot how to shoot in 96. Or how he let Donyell stay up past curfew in 1994. Just kidding. Thank him for all of us!

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
So if Denham Brown's 3 goes in would you know it to be false?
My point is teams win/lose for a multitude of reasons (and we've been over this one ad nauseum here), upsets happen etc...

If they blew them out by 25 then it might be false. But they didn't. Nor did they blow out Albany or any other team they should have that spring. The fact they lost is irrelevant. The team was less than the sum of it's parts.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If they blew them out by 25 then it might be false. But they didn't. Nor did they blow out Albany or any other team they should have that spring. The fact they lost is irrelevant. The team was less than the sum of it's parts.

That team was luck to hold on with a 20 point lead against a horrible USF squad. Way less than the sum of the parts.

Reaction Score
do a shot or pound a beer every time he says...."Quite frankly", you'll be hammered in no time!

Reaction Score
That team was luck to hold on with a 20 point lead against a horrible USF squad. Way less than the sum of the parts.
One very good (not great) NBA player, and a couple of journeymen, aren't great parts. We overrated them at the time, and are punishing it for their perceived failures in retrospect.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
There's some sort of law here -- every thread at one point or another will inevitably lead to a discussion of the 2006 team, apparently the worst 30-win team in NCAA history.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
There's some sort of law here -- every thread at one point or another will inevitably lead to a discussion of the 2006 team, apparently the worst 30-win team in NCAA history.

Just the worst 30 win team in Uconn history. Don't know why some always want to give them a pass. It's our Bill Buckner moment.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Just the worst 30 win team in Uconn history. Don't know why some always want to give them a pass. It's our Bill Buckner moment.

Ugh, this makes it worse. Now we have to have a "The game was already tied, blame Bob Stanley, they still had Game 7 blah blah blah" discussion.
Of course, as a Mets fan I'm happy to talk about 1986 all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom