c7 reaching out to Memphis... | The Boneyard

c7 reaching out to Memphis...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow. That has to be the first time a school was asked to leave the Big East and decided to stay.
Marty, do you have a source?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Isn't that a song? "I was reaching out to Memphis"? No?

It's a mighty way down rock n roll ......

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Reaction Score
Not true. C7 have 0 interest in Memphis and make no sense for Memphis either. Ridiculous.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Came out of Philly. No source from the reporter. A friend told me ...........

See Philly.com

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Reaction Score
If true, yet another someone is trying to kill the BE.

Reaction Score
The Big East should reach out to VCU and Butler, with them they'd be - at worst - the third best basketball conference.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
To be honest, trying to take Memphis over UConn or Cincy is just the type of short-sighted thinking I've come to expect from the C7.

Reaction Score
Memphis said 'no'...

doesnt appear they reached out to uconn or cincy

In 1985 Patrick Ewing and Georgetown were the odds on favorites to win the NCAA championship. Along with the Hoyas in the Final Four that year were two other Big East teams: Villanova (the eventual champ) and St. John's. It's the only time one conference has sent three teams. The fourth team? Memphis State. When asked to comment about the semifinals, the Memphis coach said, among other things, something to the effect that they'd already proved they were the best non-Catholic team in the country. Sounds like Memphis and the C7 are some sort of manifest destiny.

Reaction Score
The question is have the c_7, not asked UConn and Cincinnati because they know they will be told no, they want to freeze out/diminish those programs as much add possible, or they believe those schools are headed somewhere else soon?

Reaction Score
In 1985 Patrick Ewing and Georgetown were the odds on favorites to win the NCAA championship. Along with the Hoyas in the Final Four that year were two other Big East teams: Villanova (the eventual champ) and St. John's. It's the only time one conference has sent three teams. The fourth team? Memphis State. When asked to comment about the semifinals, the Memphis coach said, among other things, something to the effect that they'd already proved they were the best non-Catholic team in the country. Sounds like Memphis and the C7 are some sort of manifest destiny.

As much as it shames me, I was rooting for BC in the F8 against Memphis, and BC should have won that game.

Reaction Score
You forgot UConn turning down the ACC twice.

I highly doubt UConn ever did that, but if it comes out in the future that Hathaway and Hogan did this once, I would not be entirely surprised. The only reason I saw this is that 2 1/2 years ago there was a poster on the Rutgers board with a lot of inside info that turned out to be true. He brought this up long before Pitt and Syracuse left for the ACC and he also mentioned that UConn was encountering heavy resistance from BC. He was a Villanova insider who said that Rutgers fans were delusional for assuming their program should have been invited to the ACC over Uconn. He said he knew that UConn had been approached by the ACC recently and hesitated. When combined with resistance by BC, the ACC moved on to consider Pitt and Syracuse instead. He wrote UConn was first choice.

At the time I had no reason to believe this, but my eyes blinked twice first when the news of Cuse and Pitt moving came out, later when Cuse and Pitt said they were talking to the ACC for many months, and finally when the article about Gene DeFillippo's obstruction came out.

Finally, there would have been some logic in hesitating (admittedly poor logic). We all know that UConn and practically any other school would have been much better off in the Big East as it was then constituted. The BE looked like it was worth at least $13 million per team at the time which would have made it viable. In other words, UConn's athletic success was seemed brighter in a stable BE.

Of course the BE was unstable, and if Hathaway and Hogan really did this, then what really can one say?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I highly doubt UConn ever did that, but if it comes out in the future that Hathaway and Hogan did this once, I would not be entirely surprised. The only reason I saw this is that 2 1/2 years ago there was a poster on the Rutgers board with a lot of inside info that turned out to be true. He brought this up long before Pitt and Syracuse left for the ACC and he also mentioned that UConn was encountering heavy resistance from BC. He was a Villanova insider who said that Rutgers fans were delusional for assuming their program should have been invited to the ACC over Uconn. He said he knew that UConn had been approached by the ACC recently and hesitated. When combined with resistance by BC, the ACC moved on to consider Pitt and Syracuse instead. He wrote UConn was first choice.

At the time I had no reason to believe this, but my eyes blinked twice first when the news of Cuse and Pitt moving came out, later when Cuse and Pitt said they were talking to the ACC for many months, and finally when the article about Gene DeFillippo's obstruction came out.

Finally, there would have been some logic in hesitating (admittedly poor logic). We all know that UConn and practically any other school would have been much better off in the Big East as it was then constituted. The BE looked like it was worth at least $13 million per team at the time which would have made it viable. In other words, UConn's athletic success was seemed brighter in a stable BE.

Of course the BE was unstable, and if Hathaway and Hogan really did this, then what really can one say?
Wait didn't cuse/pitt happen on Herbst/Manual's watch?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I have always believed, with no proof whatsoever, that Hathaway failed to jump on initial ACC interest and that is why Herbst canned his ass once she came on board. Pitt and Cuse were invited once the dynamic duo was in place, everybody gives them a pass on that because they hadn't been here that long. The UL invite is all theirs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I was being sarcastic. Anyone who turned down the ACC in the administration should be drawn and quartered.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Herbst had just come in and we hadn't hired Manuel yet. We had Pendergast interim

Reaction Score
I have always believed, with no proof whatsoever, that Hathaway failed to jump on initial ACC interest and that is why Herbst canned his ass once she came on board. Pitt and Cuse were invited once the dynamic duo was in place, everybody gives them a pass on that because they hadn't been here that long. The UL invite is all theirs.
Why are you blaming the victims here? We didn't get an invitation. We can't force anyone to send one. End of story for most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom