C7 Have Been Quiet | The Boneyard

C7 Have Been Quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At the beginning of January, there was a lot of talk of the C7 leaving early, adding additional schools, a big media contract,... but, things have been quiet. Now, it seems that the BE is finalizing a TV contract for basketball for 2013/2014 that includes the C7 and I have not seen any schools commit to a new conference with the C7 yet. I'm curious as to why?

My guess is that there are a lot of things to work out as a new conference that can't be solved quickly as well as current conference realignment rumors.

What needs to be worked out?

1) Schools to invite.
2) Big East name.
3) BET at MSG.
4) Women's bball tourney in Hartford.
5) Olympic sport conferences. Remember, not all of the C7 play all of the BE sports. Impacts who you invite or finding homes for teams like baseball, field hockey,...
6) Media contracts.
7) Conference HQs and commissioner.

Any other theories?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
At the beginning of January, there was a lot of talk of the C7 leaving early, adding additional schools, a big media contract,... but, things have been quiet. Now, it seems that the BE is finalizing a TV contract for basketball for 2013/2014 that includes the C7 and I have not seen any schools commit to a new conference with the C7 yet. I'm curious as to why?

My guess is that there are a lot of things to work out as a new conference that can't be solved quickly as well as current conference realignment rumors.

What needs to be worked out?

1) Schools to invite.
2) Big East name.
3) BET at MSG.
4) Women's bball tourney in Hartford.
5) Olympic sport conferences. Remember, not all of the C7 play all of the BE sports. Impacts who you invite or finding homes for teams like baseball, field hockey,...
6) Media contracts.
7) Conference HQs and commissioner.

Any other theories?

8) NCAA hoops credit money
9) Exit fee money
etc.

I think that the people out there who are mad at Aresco for not yet making a tv contract happen for the Big East really have to understand how much of an absolute clusterf#$k it has been up to this point. There are so many moving parts, along with the need to cover members in a 1-year contract in order to hold them to the exit timing (Ville, Rutgers, C-7), as well as the effect that the 1-year contract pricing will have on the long-term contract pricing....who on earth would envy this guy's job???

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
8) NCAA hoops credit money
9) Exit fee money
etc.

I think that the people out there who are mad at Aresco for not yet making a tv contract happen for the Big East really have to understand how much of an absolute clusterf#$k it has been up to this point. There are so many moving parts, along with the need to cover members in a 1-year contract in order to hold them to the exit timing (Ville, Rutgers, C-7), as well as the effect that the 1-year contract pricing will have on the long-term contract pricing....who on earth would envy this guy's job???

Christ, I feel like talking conference realignment and TV contracts is a full time job for me - at least this guy gets paid a purported$1M a year to do so!!!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Christ, I feel like talking conference realignment and TV contracts is a full time job for me - at least this guy gets paid a purported$1M a year to do so!!!

Yes, but your decisions carry no ramifications. Nobody on this board is saying, "UConn is friggin' screwed now that ConnHuskBask didn't land the FOX contract!" Well, maybe one or two people would say that, but we have a bunch of crazies here...

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yes, but your decisions carry no ramifications. Nobody on this board is saying, "UConn is friggin' screwed now that ConnHuskBask didn't land the FOX contract!" Well, maybe one or two people would say that, but we have a bunch of crazies here...

1,468 posts later and now someone tells me!!!

Reaction Score
Take this for what it's worth, but Geno Auriemma on Friday told one of the beat writers the catholics will leave at the end of this year.

Reaction Score
They just may leave but they will need to pay a decent amount of money to get out. Plus you have the whole Big East name thing too, TV contract and MSG to boot - there is no way Uconn, Cincy, & USF will let them stroll out early for chump change and cave on everything.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There's no television contract on the basketball side past this season and Madison Square Garden is essentially a worthless contract.

I guess they have the name to deal with and the NCAA credits that Providence, Seton Hall and St. John's never earned, but past that, we're really just talking 'bout exit fees.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I highly doubt that MSG would want either the newest Big East or C7 - but there is no way in hell they want the newest Big East.

I can't wait for that first newest Big East tournament. It won't even come with an automatic tourney bid... if there was ever a tournament to play at the XL Center.... it could be the highest point for the Hartford Civic Center since the 1981 NAC tournament was played with no fans because of the measles outbreak.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I highly doubt that MSG would want either the newest Big East or C7 - but there is no way in hell they want the newest Big East.

I can't wait for that first newest Big East tournament. It won't even come with an automatic tourney bid... if there was ever a tournament to play at the XL Center.... it could be the highest point for the Hartford Civic Center since the 1981 NAC tournament was played with no fans because of the measles outbreak.

We're all glad that you "can't wait" for bad things to happen to UConn...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We're all glad that you "can't wait" for bad things to happen to UConn...

Sorry Dan. 'Can't wait' was sarcasm. I apologize that it wasn't obvious enough for you. Actually it was obvious for you, you'd just prefer to post something stupid. Why not start with 32-0 in the basketball threads.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Sorry Dan. 'Can't wait' was sarcasm. I apologize that it wasn't obvious enough for you. Actually it was obvious for you, you'd just prefer to post something stupid. Why not start with 32-0 in the basketball threads.

Oh no, it was plenty obvious to me and the rest of the BY. We all enjoy your sarcasm that makes our current situation seem like we're now playing in the Yankee Conference. It's a real hoot...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh no, it was plenty obvious to me and the rest of the BY. We all enjoy your sarcasm that makes our current situation seem like we're now playing in the Yankee Conference. It's a real hoot...

I'm sorry. Please tell me the correct way to support UConn going forward. Should I pretend the football team isn't terrible? Should I pretend that the basketball schools UConn is aligned with aren't terrible?

What is the UConnDan approved reaction to being in a basketball league with SMU and East Carolina? With being in a football league with Tulane and Memphis?

I would have skipped watching Georgetown/Louisville, Villanova/Syracuse and UNC/NCSU today, but for some strange reason CUSA games aren't actually on TV.

Reaction Score

Are you forgetting the 1982 Mens Big East Tournament that was played in the HCC not to mention NCAA tournament games?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are you forgetting the 1982 Mens Big East Tournament that was played in the HCC not to mention NCAA tournament games?

Uh no. Since I went to them, it's not tough to remember. With the Islanders leaving Nassau it's about the worst building that is still holding legitimate events. I'm sure there is something worse but I've never been there.

I wasn't being serious about the NAC tourney. A meaningless nBE tourney would be funny like a measles quarantine.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'm sorry. Please tell me the correct way to support UConn going forward. Should I pretend the football team isn't terrible? Should I pretend that the basketball schools UConn is aligned with aren't terrible?

What is the UConnDan approved reaction to being in a basketball league with SMU and East Carolina? With being in a football league with Tulane and Memphis?

I would have skipped watching Georgetown/Louisville, Villanova/Syracuse and UNC/NCSU today, but for some strange reason CUSA games aren't actually on TV.

I'm not telling you how to feel, nor am I telling you how to post. I just find it comical that you think you are "adding" to the conversation by continuously spouting off on how bad things are...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not telling you how to feel, nor am I telling you how to post. I just find it comical that you think you are "adding" to the conversation by continuously spouting off on how bad things are...

And you think 13-0 adds to the conversation so I guess we are both idiots.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
And you think 13-0 adds to the conversation so I guess we are both idiots.

I normally post "13-0" when the conversation has gone "the way of the Whaler". If you see the "13-0" reference, it's typically a reminder to the "fans" that even though there had been 96 previous posts in that particular thread about the world ending for UConn sports, UConn sports is still here and still ready to play at a high level in all programs. I know that doesn't fit your story-line, but don't let the truth get in the way of anything you want to say...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I normally post "13-0" when the conversation has gone "the way of the Whaler". If you see the "13-0" reference, it's typically a reminder to the "fans" that even though there had been 96 previous posts in that particular thread about the world ending for UConn sports, UConn sports is still here and still ready to play at a high level in all programs. I know that doesn't fit your story-line, but don't let the truth get in the way of anything you want to say...

My story line? The football team has stunk for two years and it isn't getting any better under this staff. Do you have a different story line for the football team?

As for basketball, you can assume they will play at a high level but you've got nothing to base that on other than faith. I think Ollie is good enough to keep them an NCAA tourney team most years but the consistent excellence of the Calhoun era is out of reach without an invite to another league.

You still think the new Big East will be a better basketball league than the C7 league - so you clearly haven't come to grips with reality yet and that is why you don't understand.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
My story line? The football team has stunk for two years and it isn't getting any better under this staff. Do you have a different story line for the football team?

As for basketball, you can assume they will play at a high level but you've got nothing to base that on other than faith. I think Ollie is good enough to keep them an NCAA tourney team most years but the consistent excellence of the Calhoun era is out of reach without an invite to another league.

You still think the new Big East will be a better basketball league than the C7 league - so you clearly haven't come to grips with reality yet and that is why you don't understand.

Here we go again...

1) Yes, I have a different story line for the football team. We underachieved. We weren't very good. But your story line of "the football team has stunk" just isn't true. A team that stinks is not a 5-7 team, it's a 3-9 team or worse than that. A team that stinks doesn't beat a top15 team. A team that stinks doesn't have one of the top ranked defenses in the country. THIS IS MY POINT! That you just can't help yourself from being a little Debbie Downer, can you?

2) You're pretty much off base here also. 2a) Kevin Ollie and the boys have shown not only that they can continue to play at a high level this year, but that they can beat multiple ranked teams, even with a depleted roster. 2b) Kevin Ollie is also demonstrating that he can recruit at a high level as well (Facey, Samuels, Brimah), so "faith" has nothing to do with it. 2c) Tell me what Jim Calhoun's Big East conference records were for the past few years, even including the one that we ended up winning the national championship? That's not a slight on Jim; I loved him as our coach and we always played our tails off. But to label it as being "out of reach" for us now? Really?!?

3) I didn't say the Big East will be better. I said and continue to say that they will be equivalent leagues. NBE will have a better top portion and the C-7 will have a better bottom portion. But they will be equivalent leagues. They will continually be battling for about the same position in conference rankings every year, whether you wish to believe it or not.

Any other questions?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Here we go again...

1) Yes, I have a different story line for the football team. We underachieved. We weren't very good. But your story line of "the football team has stunk" just isn't true. A team that stinks is not a 5-7 team, it's a 3-9 team or worse than that. A team that stinks doesn't beat a top15 team. A team that stinks doesn't have one of the top ranked defenses in the country. THIS IS MY POINT! That you just can't help yourself from being a little Debbie Downer, can you?

2) You're pretty much off base here also. 2a) Kevin Ollie and the boys have shown not only that they can continue to play at a high level this year, but that they can beat multiple ranked teams, even with a depleted roster. 2b) Kevin Ollie is also demonstrating that he can recruit at a high level as well (Facey, Samuels, Brimah), so "faith" has nothing to do with it. 2c) Tell me what Jim Calhoun's Big East conference records were for the past few years, even including the one that we ended up winning the national championship? That's not a slight on Jim; I loved him as our coach and we always played our tails off. But to label it as being "out of reach" for us now? Really?!?

3) I didn't say the Big East will be better. I said and continue to say that they will be equivalent leagues. NBE will have a better top portion and the C-7 will have a better bottom portion. But they will be equivalent leagues. They will continually be battling for about the same position in conference rankings every year, whether you wish to believe it or not.

Any other questions?

Good lord I can't believe someone can lie to themselves like this.

1. Teams that stink lose games. It does not matter if they are good at one piece of the sport. If they lose to bad teams like Temple and Western Michigan that is a sign your team is bad.

I'm going to break some news to you. 5-7 against that schedule with the players they had on defense was a embarrassment.

Next year's roster is worse and the schedule is tougher. This seems obvious - yet you don't want to see it. Sure Western Michigan kicked the crap out of UConn in 2012. I'm sure worse players will beat Michigan next year.

2. Yeah I said Kevin Ollie seems pretty good. Sorry I was talking about the general excellence of Calhoun's career.
While UConn has pulled a couple upsets this year you do realize that team is like the 50th best team in country right?

I will spell it out for you in chapter and verse. If UConn does not get into at least the ACC the program is done. Dead and buried when compared to the last two decades.

3. Equivalent is just as silly. You post what you want to be true. Either you don't actually follow college basketball outside of UConn or you are being willfully ignorant.

Either way I'll do my best to ignore your nonsense. You'll notice that you started this by pretending to take my sarcastic reply seriously.

You and Weyou and a handful of people want to pretend you can live what has happened to this athletic program. Good for you guys. I'm not willing to sit back and pretend I'm happy playing Memphis and Tulane and SMU.

Best part is I piss and moan and you are Johnny Positive. I'll be at the XL Center tomorrow and you won't.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
That escalated really fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads