C7 Have Been Quiet | Page 2 | The Boneyard

C7 Have Been Quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Good lord I can't believe someone can lie to themselves like this.

1. Teams that stink lose games. It does not matter if they are good at one piece of the sport. If they lose to bad teams like Temple and Western Michigan that is a sign your team is bad.

I'm going to break some news to you. 5-7 against that schedule with the players they had on defense was a ing embarrassment.

Next year's roster is worse and the schedule is tougher. This seems obvious - yet you don't want to see it. Sure Western Michigan kicked the crap out of UConn in 2012. I'm sure worse players will beat Michigan next year.

2. Yeah I said Kevin Ollie seems pretty good. Sorry I was talking about the general excellence of Calhoun's career.
While UConn has pulled a couple upsets this year you do realize that team is like the 50th best team in country right?

I will spell it out for you in chapter and verse. If UConn does not get into at least the ACC the program is done. Dead and buried when compared to the last two decades.

3. Equivalent is just as silly. You post what you want to be true. Either you don't actually follow college basketball outside of UConn or you are being willfully ignorant.

Either way I'll do my best to ignore your nonsense. You'll notice that you started this by pretending to take my sarcastic reply seriously.

You and Weyou and a handful of people want to pretend you can live what has happened to this athletic program. Good for ing you guys. I'm not willing to sit back and pretend I'm happy playing ing Memphis and Tulane and SMU.

Best part is I piss and moan and you are Johnny Positive. I'll be at the XL Center tomorrow and you won't.

Wow. A fantastic and yet typical Whaler post.

1) I've already admitted that we weren't good as a football team for the last two years. But because you live in your own little hyperbolic world, there are only two classifications in life; "great" and "stink". It's so refreshing that you can live in such a black-and-white world, with nothing in between. Probably the sign of a great thinker.

2a) 50th best team in the country? Show me that. Sagarin has us at 38, and I'm guessing that most other computer polls have us in the 30s as well, seeing as our schedule strength is in the top15 in the country. But don't let facts get in the way of your rant, brother. You're on a roll...
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkt1213.htm

2b) Winning one game you aren't supposed to is an "upset". Winning a "couple of upsets"? That just means you're a really good team. No need to qualify it. But of course, you will qualify it as UConn being lucky.

3) Equivalent is not silly. You're just calling it that because you're not willing to admit that the two leagues will almost certainly be in about the same position in conference rankings. It's okay. I don't need you to believe in it. I'll just wait for the data to show you.

4) I know your post was sarcastic, you ridiculous excuse of a man, and I've already said that in a previous post. I was commenting on how ridiculous you are to post sarcastically at the expense of your supposed "favorite team." Another Whalerism...

5) I don't need to pretend that I can live with what has happened to the athletic program. I will live with it in actuality, because that is what it is. I won't "pretend" that ranting about it will somehow make it better, because the only thing it can do is make it worse. If ranting like a whiny school girl drives away even one fan or one recruit, you have made the situation worse, not better. But keep believing you're fighting the good fight.

6) You'll be at the XL Center today and I won't, that's true. Congratulations. I will be rocking my 2 month old baby in my arms with the tv on mute while I'm watching the game on SNY, but I'll be covered in UConn garb that I'm sure has added to the university coffers, as well as the fact that I have done my undergraduate degree there and graduate work there. I will be at the Spring Game with both children in tow. I will also be making my triumphant returns to both the XL and the Rent next year. As well as the fact that I go to UConn once every month to stop by at the Dairy Bar and see the campus. As well as the fact that I represent the university in a positive light in EVERYTHING that I do. You think you do more for UConn than me, you pretentious little ? Think again...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You know what? I got caught up in this little emotional "back and forth" with Whaler, and I now regret it. I know for sure I won't change his mind on anything, and vice versa. The board doesn't need this, and likely neither do we. Apologies to all who read the last few posts and had that "WTF???" moment. I'll try to keep it lighthearted from here on out...

Reaction Score
Good lord I can't believe someone can lie to themselves like this.

1. Teams that stink lose games. It does not matter if they are good at one piece of the sport. If they lose to bad teams like Temple and Western Michigan that is a sign your team is bad.

I'm going to break some news to you. 5-7 against that schedule with the players they had on defense was a ing embarrassment.

Next year's roster is worse and the schedule is tougher. This seems obvious - yet you don't want to see it. Sure Western Michigan kicked the crap out of UConn in 2012. I'm sure worse players will beat Michigan next year.

2. Yeah I said Kevin Ollie seems pretty good. Sorry I was talking about the general excellence of Calhoun's career.
While UConn has pulled a couple upsets this year you do realize that team is like the 50th best team in country right?

I will spell it out for you in chapter and verse. If UConn does not get into at least the ACC the program is done. Dead and buried when compared to the last two decades.

3. Equivalent is just as silly. You post what you want to be true. Either you don't actually follow college basketball outside of UConn or you are being willfully ignorant.

Either way I'll do my best to ignore your nonsense. You'll notice that you started this by pretending to take my sarcastic reply seriously.

You and Weyou and a handful of people want to pretend you can live what has happened to this athletic program. Good for ing you guys. I'm not willing to sit back and pretend I'm happy playing ing Memphis and Tulane and SMU.

Best part is I piss and moan and you are Johnny Positive. I'll be at the XL Center tomorrow and you won't.

The idea that your viewpoint is more accurate than Dan's just because your's is negative and his is positive is horse crap. If everyone on the basketball team returns next year we will probably be ranked top 15 preseason, it also appears that Ollie is a very capable recruiter, not many people can accurately state that they were Lebron Jame's paid mentor, so there is every reason to believe the basketball future is bright especially with the basketball palace under construction.

As far as football is concerned, many felt that GDL was a big part of the problem and he has been largely eliminated from the equation, everyone of significance other than Ryan Griffin returns to the offense, and there are enough returning pieces on defense to expect a continuation of excellence on that side of the ball, (assuming Hughes can adequately replace Don Brown).

Here are 4 things that aren't debatable:

1) Optimists in general are more successful than pessimists

2) Pessimists are far more annoying on sports message boards than optimists.

3) You would never, ever want a pessimist coaching your sports team.

4) Next year's football schedule is outstanding and should be something to look forward to.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The idea that your viewpoint is more accurate than Dan's just because your's is negative and his is positive is horse crap. If everyone on the basketball team returns next year we will probably be ranked top 15 preseason, it also appears that Ollie is a very capable recruiter, not many people can accurately state that they were Lebron Jame's paid mentor, so there is every reason to believe the basketball future is bright especially with the basketball palace under construction.

As far as football is concerned, many felt that GDL was a big part of the problem and he has been largely eliminated from the equation, everyone of significance other than Ryan Griffin returns to the offense, and there are enough returning pieces on defense to expect a continuation of excellence on that side of the ball, (assuming Hughes can adequately replace Don Brown).

Here are 4 things that aren't debatable:

1) Optimists in general are more successful than pessimists

2) Pessimists are far more annoying on sports message boards than optimists.

3) You would never, ever want a pessimist coaching your sports team.

4) Next year's football schedule is outstanding and should be something to look forward to.

Dan is correct I should have said about the 40th best team in the country.

My viewpoint on the basketball being better in the New C7 league than the Big East going forward is based on looking at the actual quality of the teams that look to be involved. Unless you think the computers are wrong across the board. That's not a positive or negative viewpoint - That's the objective reality.

I like Ollie a lot and he's done a very nice job in his first year. Nobody has any idea if he can recruit in the new league.

As for the football team there is almost no way the defense will be as good as it was this year. The vast majority of the time you don't replace Wilson, Gratz, Moore and Williams as well as others without some drop off. I get painted as negative yet I seem to be one who recognizes in these discussions how good those players were.

The offense probably can't be worse. It may not improve more than the defense falls off and the schedule you mentioned is much tougher than 2012. Even if the team is better they might not win more games.

Reaction Score
The vast majority of the time you don't replace Wilson, Gratz, Moore and Williams as well as others without some drop off. I get painted as negative yet I seem to be one who recognizes in these discussions how good those players were.

Nobody thought we could replace Reyes last year but Wirth did it.

Joseph, Stephen, and Pruitt, with Campenni and others could be a very good line. Smallwood could be the best linebacker in the Big East, Stewart has a great pedigree, and there has been plenty of positive buzz surrounding Vann and Ashiru, Adams and Tymer Brown look to be very good at safety, and excuse me if I think that Byron Jones has lock down corner written all over him.

Not to mention you have been somewhat critical of Don Brown (can't close out a game) the last two years so you should be happy about the idea of Edsall's defensive coordinator getting the job back if that happens.

Reaction Score
Dan is correct I should have said about the 40th best team in the country.

My viewpoint on the basketball being better in the New C7 league than the Big East going forward is based on looking at the actual quality of the teams that look to be involved. Unless you think the computers are wrong across the board. That's not a positive or negative viewpoint - That's the objective reality.

I like Ollie a lot and he's done a very nice job in his first year. Nobody has any idea if he can recruit in the new league.

As for the football team there is almost no way the defense will be as good as it was this year. The vast majority of the time you don't replace Wilson, Gratz, Moore and Williams as well as others without some drop off. I get painted as negative yet I seem to be one who recognizes in these discussions how good those players were.

The offense probably can't be worse. It may not improve more than the defense falls off and the schedule you mentioned is much tougher than 2012. Even if the team is better they might not win more games.

You don't just lose two NFL CBs and not expect to take a hit. I don't care how good the guys behind him are. Gratz and Wilson were hardly perfect when they moved up to the #1 spots. Their performance this season was the product of years of practice and many games under their belts. It's almost as if the defense is starting over.

We got behind in games with last year's offense. Just in order to compete, we had better be explosive on offense. Like, really explosive. Otherwise some of these games are going to be ugly.

Oh by the way, our two most explosive receivers were Tight Ends, and both of those guys are gone. Has anyone seen what we have left in that dept?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You don't just lose two NFL CBs and not expect to take a hit. I don't care how good the guys behind him are. Gratz and Wilson were hardly perfect when they moved up to the #1 spots. Their performance this season was the product of years of practice and many games under their belts. It's almost as if the defense is starting over.

We got behind in games with last year's offense. Just in order to compete, we had better be explosive on offense. Like, really explosive. Otherwise some of these games are going to be ugly.

Oh by the way, our two most explosive receivers were Tight Ends, and both of those guys are gone. Has anyone seen what we have left in that dept?

Yeah and Nick Williams is gone but we ignore his loss on offense and specials. No one has shown any ability to return kicks yet.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

You're right.

Nobody should expect the defense to be as good as it was last year. Last year it was scary-good. You don't easily replace Gratz, Blidi, Sio, Trevardo, and Jory. But it doesn't mean that we shouldn't have a good defense next year. There is a great deal of anticipation for Graham Stewart to fill in one of the LB spots. Donohue is a veteran linebacker who is also expected to produce, and we also have Vann and Ashiru as well. We should have a good linebacking group, along with Yawin.

As far as the corners go, we will also be weaker. We will need Mack to step up, along with guys like Stephenson. We may even see a safety shift over to corner before the Spring Game.

As far as the ends go, losing Trevardo hurts a lot, but getting Joseph back helps a lot. Add that to the fact that Pruitt and Norris have an extra year under their belts, and we should be as good on the ends as we were last year. At DT, we may be even better (although Wirth was a good player). Myers, Campenni, and Stephen are a year bigger and better. Add to that newcomers in Fatukasi, as well as ends Holines and Jalen Stevens, and I think we are going to have a really really solid front seven.

So in summation, you're right that we may no longer be a top20 defense in the country. But we should still be really good...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Oops! Sorry, Zoo and Whaler. I shouldn't have butted into the conversation you two are having. Keep hammering away, though.....always good stuff!

Reaction Score
You're right.

Nobody should expect the defense to be as good as it was last year. Last year it was scary-good. You don't easily replace Gratz, Blidi, Sio, Trevardo, and Jory. But it doesn't mean that we shouldn't have a good defense next year. There is a great deal of anticipation for Graham Stewart to fill in one of the LB spots. Donohue is a veteran linebacker who is also expected to produce, and we also have Vann and Ashiru as well. We should have a good linebacking group, along with Yawin.

As far as the corners go, we will also be weaker. We will need Mack to step up, along with guys like Stephenson. We may even see a safety shift over to corner before the Spring Game.

As far as the ends go, losing Trevardo hurts a lot, but getting Joseph back helps a lot. Add that to the fact that Pruitt and Norris have an extra year under their belts, and we should be as good on the ends as we were last year. At DT, we may be even better (although Wirth was a good player). Myers, Campenni, and Stephen are a year bigger and better. Add to that newcomers in Fatukasi, as well as ends Holines and Jalen Stevens, and I think we are going to have a really really solid front seven.

So in summation, you're right that we may no longer be a top20 defense in the country. But we should still be really good...

Honestly, I don't think you truly understand how good the defense was last year. We basically had a top flight SEC type defense. Even some SEC defenses don't have two NFL caliber corners. The drop off will be much bigger than you comprehend, there is some talent coming along, but it will take a season or two for them to mature.

And if the offensive improvement isn't commensurate with the defense's degradation then we are in for a long season.

Thank god for Smallwood.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Honestly, I don't think you truly understand how good the defense was last year. We basically had a top flight SEC type defense. Even some SEC defenses don't have two NFL caliber corners. The drop off will be much bigger than you comprehend, there is some talent coming along, but it will take a season or two for them to mature.

And if the offensive improvement isn't commensurate with the defense's degradation then we are in for a long season.

Thank god for Smallwood.

How many times do I need to say that we had a top20 defense for you to believe that I understood how good the defense was??? Honestly! What did I just type to you? Didn't I just type that the defense won't be as good as they were this year?

But what I want you to admit is that this should still be a strong defensive unit, and I'm not even going to count the new recruits. Just based on what's coming back. I didn't even add Adams' name in the mix, which I should have, because he saw a lot of play last year as well. Yawin is on pace to be the best middle linebacker we've ever had, and that is saying something! And the front four are going to be really really strong.

Can you just admit that? Can you just admit that we should at the very least be a top3 defense in the Big East and maybe a top40 to top50 defense nationally? If you can't, it doesn't matter. That's my opinion, and I don't require the belief of others to have it...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Thank god for Smallwood.

I don't think the defense was a top flight SEC defense. Top flight SEC defenses don't get gashed by Western Michigan or Syracuse.

It was a very good defense that lost a ton of players and the coordinator. Maybe it doesn't fall off but that would mean a lot of player who didn't contribute in 2012 have to be very good players in 2013. It could happen, but there is probably a 90% chance the defense falls off a decent amount.

The offense will probably be better and might make up the difference. But even if the team nets out equal the schedule is much more difficult and the home road conference split is not what you'd want for a big increase in wins.

Those that truly believe things will be better will have their chance to monetize it. UConn will have an over/under of about 5 wins in Vegas. This seems like an awfully low bar based on what I read here. Hopefully the positive folks take their shot at the easy money.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
8) NCAA hoops credit money
9) Exit fee money
etc.

I think that the people out there who are mad at Aresco for not yet making a tv contract happen for the Big East really have to understand how much of an absolute clusterf#$k it has been up to this point. There are so many moving parts, along with the need to cover members in a 1-year contract in order to hold them to the exit timing (Ville, Rutgers, C-7), as well as the effect that the 1-year contract pricing will have on the long-term contract pricing....who on earth would envy this guy's job???
Just one man - HuskyfanDan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104