2020 Recruiting: - C Dylan Cardwell sets official visit to UConn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: C Dylan Cardwell sets official visit to UConn

Reaction Score
Too many quotes to get them all so just a generic correction to all. *Her

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Time to move this thread back to the top of the list with a OV scheduled.

Reaction Score
Time to move this thread back to the top of the list with a OV scheduled.

One thing they sticks out is he is really mobile and quick. He also has a good handle. Can’t tell much else since everybody he is blocking shots and scoring on is like 6 inches smaller than him. It looks like they play in some dark gyms in his league lol!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Recommendation. Keep an eye on Matrim55, BFieldHusky, husky99, tcf15, and Zionn. They seem to provide the most accurate info. Ignore the others. You won’t miss a thing.
Genuinely helpful for those whose interest here is limited in scope. And a fitting comment from someone who has been around since 2011 and posted 31 times.

That said, if I were only here for basketball, I might have taken a lot of time off, starting early in 2015, and running through the 2018 season when I did not want to believe what my eyes were telling when I watched more games than were worth the time.

It's possible to have a life and be part of this fun, funny, frustrating, free-wheeling community, but not a problem if anyone chooses otherwise. And to repeat, the quoted comment does represent a public service.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
imno1 said:
Unfortunately we ran @@NJHoops off. He /she seemed to have great insight
Expand ...
Dang, when did that happen?

When Chief00 kidnapped him/her to cash in on all the inside scoop

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I’m gonna beat Chief on this one : we will either get this kid or we won’t. You heard it here first, you’re welcome to the casual fans.
I love a guy who makes bold predictions. Well done.

Reaction Score
One thing they sticks out is he is really mobile and quick. He also has a good handle. Can’t tell much else since everybody he is blocking shots and scoring on is like 6 inches smaller than him. It looks like they play in some dark gyms in his league lol!

I don't know about the nuances like footwork, but from this film there's a lot to like.
He won't need to be taught to get back on defense or run the break after a defensive rebound, he finishes strong inside, has nice moves to the basket, can make the short jumper, looks to make an outlet pass after grabbing a rebound, and finds the open man when he gets double teamed.
Who needs Cliff?

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Can someone insert a "we need to stop overestimating how good this kid is" post? I always get yelled at when I do, get sad, eat a bunch of oreos.. it's not a good cycle. I'm trying to break it.

His game reminds me of Carlton's senior highlights coming out of Dematha. Better athlete, less moves around the basket. I don't expect him to set the world alight his frosh year but he'd be playing behind a senior Carlton anyways. Looks to me like the kid has a lot of potential. Hopefully he's maintained a good connection with Cam Thomas. Those two plus one of Richmond/Geronimo/Jackson would be a great class.

I would love to read your tempered analysis of Cardwell's game.

Reaction Score
His game reminds me of Carlton's senior highlights coming out of Dematha. Better athlete, less moves around the basket. I don't expect him to set the world alight his frosh year but he'd be playing behind a senior Carlton anyways. Looks to me like the kid has a lot of potential. Hopefully he's maintained a good connection with Cam Thomas. Those two plus one of Richmond/Geronimo/Jackson would be a great class.

I would love to read your tempered analysis of Cardwell's game.

Are you looking at the highlights just posted, or his AAU/Oak Hill stuff? Because those highlights are pretty limited in what you're going to get from them IMO. Those kids are 6" shorter than him and less athletic by a mile. I look good playing against the 11-year-olds in the park too (dropped 8/11 of my team's points earlier this week. My eligibility is up, unfortunately). The more important videos you're going to see if you don't have the time to watch full games would be stuff from Oak Hill and AOT.

I think you're probably not reading his skill set very well, or haven't seen the better highlight if you are thinking he might be like Carlton. Carlton has great footwork and offensive skill; he's just very limited athletically. Cardwell has very limited skill but is a better athlete than Carlton will ever be naturally.

The good is that Cardwell's built strong and runs fast. He has the "look" of a modern rim running/screening big man in a 4 out offense. He can dunk everything. And most impressively, IMO, is that he is super conscious of trying to stay straight up when contesting at the rim, almost too much. He still got 2.3(?) blocks per game in AAU so that should be a signal he's doing something right positionally on D. I think long-term he probably fits Hurley's vision of our team better than Carlton. Post ups (Carlton's skill) are out of the vogue right now, and I think Hurley seems to be trending towards that.

The bad is that he is extremely raw offensively. I mean, not very good at all. His FG% is solid at 62%, but he's only scoring 6.2 ppg. FT percentage stinks: 48.6%. I'm not sure he'll see much action as a freshman because of the limited offense, especially if he can't pick up the defensive end really quickly, as bigs are known to do.

He can dunk and that's really it. His offensive game is noticeably stiff. This would be fine if he was good at rolling to the right spots, and knowing how to get in position on drives. From what I saw the couple of games I watched this summer, that is not the case. Luckily, Kenya is a tremendous bigs coach and if he works hard that stuff isn't *too* hard to learn, really.

Reaction Score
Can someone insert a "we need to stop overestimating how good this kid is" post? I always get yelled at when I do, get sad, eat a bunch of oreos.. it's not a good cycle. I'm trying to break it.

I think this is a fair point. Guys whose offers don’t match their rankings in either direction, especially when they’ve been at a known school, can be tough to get a handle on.

Reaction Score
I think this is a fair point. Guys whose offers don’t match their rankings in either direction, especially when they’ve been at a known school, can be tough to get a handle on.
Cardwell's offers don't match his ranking?

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Are you looking at the highlights just posted, or his AAU/Oak Hill stuff? Because those highlights are pretty limited in what you're going to get from them IMO. Those kids are 6" shorter than him and less athletic by a mile. I look good playing against the 11-year-olds in the park too (dropped 8/11 of my team's points earlier this week. My eligibility is up, unfortunately). The more important videos you're going to see if you don't have the time to watch full games would be stuff from Oak Hill and AOT.

I think you're probably not reading his skill set very well, or haven't seen the better highlight if you are thinking he might be like Carlton. Carlton has great footwork and offensive skill; he's just very limited athletically. Cardwell has very limited skill but is a better athlete than Carlton will ever be naturally.

The good is that Cardwell's built strong and runs fast. He has the "look" of a modern rim running/screening big man in a 4 out offense. He can dunk everything. And most impressively, IMO, is that he is super conscious of trying to stay straight up when contesting at the rim, almost too much. He still got 2.3(?) blocks per game in AAU so that should be a signal he's doing something right positionally on D. I think long-term he probably fits Hurley's vision of our team better than Carlton. Post ups (Carlton's skill) are out of the vogue right now, and I think Hurley seems to be trending towards that.

The bad is that he is extremely raw offensively. I mean, not very good at all. His FG% is solid at 62%, but he's only scoring 6.2 ppg. FT percentage stinks: 48.6%. I'm not sure he'll see much action as a freshman because of the limited offense, especially if he can't pick up the defensive end really quickly, as bigs are known to do.

He can dunk and that's really it. His offensive game is noticeably stiff. This would be fine if he was good at rolling to the right spots, and knowing how to get in position on drives. From what I saw the couple of games I watched this summer, that is not the case. Luckily, Kenya is a tremendous bigs coach and if he works hard that stuff isn't *too* hard to learn, really.

I've only seen limited highlights, no full games. Will look for whole games from oak hill for insight on Cam Thomas' game too. It's unfortunate your eligibility is up but im not convinced, even in your prime, you would've been a Hurley coached UConn level talent, even with that stuffed stat line:rolleyes:

Liked your analysis of Cardwell, don't think you'll be yelled at. If by chance Hurley and Co land Cliff, what are the odds you'd put on him subplanting senior Carlton for the starting center position?

Reaction Score
Yeah I would say they do. Athletic rim-runner with a good frame. We have been missing players like him so it’s a good fit, but more of a building block than someone you build a team around. Him being a 3 star with offers from Tennessee, PC, Georgia, and Vandy is fair in my eyes.

Agreed with husky’s point that in these recruiting threads, everyone is a future star in posters’ minds. They’re 99% daydreams, it’s just the nature of it.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
The BY is not the environment for everybody.

The BY is pretty much late 70’s / early 80’s
South Bronx sometimes. Mean streets. I love it. Guard your grill and protect your neck.

Reaction Score

He’s under-evaluated but has pulled some very solid offers. Kenya likes him, which I do value quite a bit. But, being 6’10” gets a guy attention, as does being at a school like Oak Hill, but he still, at best, flew under the radar. I don’t like to be anything but positive about recruits, but the post I responded to was about tempering expectations.

Reaction Score
I've only seen limited highlights, no full games. Will look for whole games from oak hill for insight on Cam Thomas' game too. It's unfortunate your eligibility is up but im not convinced, even in your prime, you would've been a Hurley coached UConn level talent, even with that stuffed stat line:rolleyes:

Liked your analysis of Cardwell, don't think you'll be yelled at. If by chance Hurley and Co land Cliff, what are the odds you'd put on him subplanting senior Carlton for the starting center position?

Cliff is better than Cardwell, but I don't think either is better than a senior Carlton. He was VERY good this last year in general, just inconsistent. I bet he'll be more consistent against better comp this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom