BYU Offensive Line ranked #15 in country | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BYU Offensive Line ranked #15 in country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It is a big, athletic, and experienced offensive line. Aren't they all like 28 years old too?

They have old man strength, in part because they get allowances that other teams don't.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Go on missions for 2 years and then come back and play?
Correct.

The (required by LDS) mission allows an exemption to the NCAA's five years to play four seasons rule that normally applies to all student athletes.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
:rolleyes:

The only person on this board allowed to make outlandish claims is me...

Tell the truth UConnDan. YOU are BYUDad, aren't you? You brilliantly decided to create Boneyard alternate profiles to make outlandish confident claims for every one of our opponents. Good way to fire up the fanbase. When can we expect StonyBrookDad to make an appearance and proclaim that their QB will throw for 500 yards and we will have no chance at stopping him?

Reaction Score
Correct.

The (required by LDS) mission allows an exemption to the NCAA's five years to play four seasons rule that normally applies to all student athletes.
Guys - this may sound kinda weird, but taking two years off from playing football doesn't help you get better at football. Even if that were true, nothing impedes UCONN to recruit fat returned mormon missionaries - and even if you didn't want to do that, then recruit guys who had other exemptions i.e. military service, or humanitarian service - if it isn't evident enough that taking two years break weakens your skills, consider this; BYUs greats, didn't serve missions (thats another thing, it not "required"), Steve Young, Ty Detmer, Jim McMahon, our all-time leading rusher Harvey Unga didn't serve missions.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Tell the truth UConnDan. YOU are BYUDad, aren't you? You brilliantly decided to create Boneyard alternate profiles to make outlandish confident claims for every one of our opponents. Good way to fire up the fanbase. When can we expect StonyBrookDad to make an appearance and proclaim that their QB will throw for 500 yards and we will have no chance at stopping him?

I will fabricate my own little "AntiObserver" any chance I can get... ;)

Reaction Score
Correct.

Is it really required? The reason I ask? I remember a piece on Steve Young in which he lamented that he was the only one of the Young brothers that didn't go on a mission. The only reason I remember is that I saw damn near every HS game he, and his brothers, ever played at Greenwich.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
BYUs greats, didn't serve missions (thats another thing, it not "required"), Steve Young, Ty Detmer, Jim McMahon, our all-time leading rusher Harvey Unga didn't serve missions.
When did Jim McMahon become a mormon?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
For the record, I have no issue with the mission exemption (that BYU over the past few decades has benefited from more than most schools) and I do in fact like the idea that a non P-5 school is able to do what you did to Texas last year.

My one gripe on this entire thread is the comment that an offensive line that was quite solid last year (and embarrassed the Longhorns) was referred to as 'not very good' last year but he is 'hoping to see improvement'. I took that comment as completely classless. I would love to see what our defense from a few years back, the one that crushed South Carolina in Birmingham could do against BYU's offensive line but we are coming off a few seasons where all that happened was a number of quality defenders graduated to the NFL. Our ability to come close to matching up with BYU will be a huge question mark until the game is played.

Reaction Score
Just to clarify - missions are strongly encouraged by the Church for the LDS members of the team. They are not required, and the coaching staff leaves that as a personal decision. The "exemption" for missionary service is available to any NCAA player. Coaches of any team are free to interrupt their players' eligibility by sending them to the Peace Corps for two years if they feel like it will give them an advantage.

Reaction Score
For the record, I have no issue with the mission exemption (that BYU over the past few decades has benefited from more than most schools) and I do in fact like the idea that a non P-5 school is able to do what you did to Texas last year.

My one gripe on this entire thread is the comment that an offensive line that was quite solid last year (and embarrassed the Longhorns) was referred to as 'not very good' last year but he is 'hoping to see improvement'. I took that comment as completely classless. I would love to see what our defense from a few years back, the one that crushed South Carolina in Birmingham could do against BYU's offensive line but we are coming off a few seasons where all that happened was a number of quality defenders graduated to the NFL. Our ability to come close to matching up with BYU will be a huge question mark until the game is played.
Gripe all you want, but our OL is a question mark. They have experience, that's all. I take offense at the classless remark. Read my posts. Maybe I'm classless because I shouldn't post on your board.(I can accept that and will stop with this post) Texas was an aberration last year. They couldn't stop the read option or adjust to it. Remember we were 8-5 last year and lost to Uva. We also were terrible in the red zone. Bottom line the OL was ok, definitely not great. Goodbye and good luck. See ya at the Rent.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Gripe all you want, but our OL is a question mark. They have experience, that's all. I take offense at the classless remark. Read my posts. Maybe I'm classless because I shouldn't post on your board.(I can accept that and will stop with this post) Texas was an aberration last year. They couldn't stop the read option or adjust to it. Remember we were 8-5 last year and lost to Uva. We also were terrible in the red zone. Bottom line the OL was ok, definitely not great. Goodbye and good luck. See ya at the Rent.
What I found classless was the disingenuous remark. If I were to have visited a basketball board last November and claimed that our backcourt wasn't that good the prior year while pretending to be sincere that would have been classless as well. Remain, leave, I really don't care.

Reaction Score
I think I was the one that said the OL needed to show improvement, and it's true. While the OL (and Taysom Hill) dominated Texas on the ground, there were other games last season where our QB didn't have time to throw the ball the way we wanted him to. Everyone is looking for OL improvement this year even though we did roast Texas. Sounds weird, but it's not disingenuous.

And a last note on missionaries, of the 5 offensive lineman who are currently listed as starters (though some positions are still up for grabs), only two are returned missionaries.

LT, Wesley, not LDS
LG, Johnson, returned missionary, served 2 years before he started playing so he was a freshman last year and is starting his sophomore year.
C, Fusi, not LDS
RG, Kearsley, LDS but not planning on a mission. Was a true freshman last year.
RT, Lapuaho, returned missionary, served 2 years before he started playing so he will be a freshman this year. [his BYU player profile says his favorite food is horse meat. I think BYU fans are going to like this guy.]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Only fans who know their team can't beat BYU bring up the age excuse. It's bush league. If you can't win, don't bring up silly excuses please.

Reaction Score
Only fans who know their team can't beat BYU bring up the age excuse. It's bush league. If you can't win, don't bring up silly excuses please.

If you don't like the comments about LDS missions and the impact of older players (especially linemen) on a teams ability - you don't have to read/post here. As far as knowing who is going to win, what "did you know" last year this time about who would win the UVA game.

Reaction Score
If you don't like the comments about LDS missions and the impact of older players (especially linemen) on a teams ability - you don't have to read/post here. As far as knowing who is going to win, what "did you know" last year this time about who would win the UVA game.

Its a bad excuse because missions hurt football players skills and abilities. When you go on a mission for 2 years, you're not practicing, playing games, working out, or anything like that. When you get back, you are starting from scratch.

You can use age as an excuse if you want for a loss but missions hurt BYU more than our opponents. Its a classless excuse.

There was a massive rain storm and a long delay against UVA last year. Those big delays hurt the road team bad. That's the only reason BYU lost to UVA and you wait to see what happens to Virginia this year. BYU will win by 3+ scores.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Its a bad excuse because missions hurt football players skills and abilities. When you go on a mission for 2 years, you're not practicing, playing games, working out, or anything like that. When you get back, you are starting from scratch.

You can use age as an excuse if you want for a loss but missions hurt BYU more than our opponents. Its a classless excuse.

There was a massive rain storm and a long delay against UVA last year. Those big delays hurt the road team bad. That's the only reason BYU lost to UVA and you wait to see what happens to Virginia this year. BYU will win by 3+ scores.

Irony alert. A bit of rain before the game was enough to cause you to lose the game in the fourth quarter against Virginia? For a guy who decries the age excuse on one hand, this seems to be a large serving of sour grapes.

Reaction Score

Nobody is using anything as an excuse. You're starting to get on my nerves Pops.

Reaction Score
Guys - this may sound kinda weird, but taking two years off from playing football doesn't help you get better at football. Even if that were true, nothing impedes UCONN to recruit fat returned mormon missionaries - and even if you didn't want to do that, then recruit guys who had other exemptions i.e. military service, or humanitarian service - if it isn't evident enough that taking two years break weakens your skills, consider this; BYUs greats, didn't serve missions (thats another thing, it not "required"), Steve Young, Ty Detmer, Jim McMahon, our all-time leading rusher Harvey Unga didn't serve missions.

I still cannot believe McMahon went there. How many times did het get in trouble?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Nobody is using anything as an excuse. You're starting to get on my nerves Pops.

It seems to me that 'Dad' needs to relax and knock back a few drinks.

Reaction Score
Back on track a little here. No school produces better offensive lines than university in of Iowa. Our coach spent five years there on defense. If there is a way to challenge a strong offensive line he will know what do do

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Here's what I have learned:

Making the observation that BYU linemen have old man strength - silly and classless
Claiming you lost a game because it rained - legit

I'm going to go with "it was too dark" for our losses to Towson, Maryland, Michigan and Louisville last year. And if it was too dark for those games, it was obviously way too bright outside for our losses to Buffalo, USF, Cincinnati, UCF, and SMU. We're clearly a dome team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom