BYU Offensive Line ranked #15 in country | The Boneyard

BYU Offensive Line ranked #15 in country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is exactly why I've thought BYU is a terrible matchup for us. It is a big, athletic, and experienced offensive line. Aren't they all like 28 years old too?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
BYU
6'7 330 6'3 323 6'0 300 6'2 325 6'6 290

UCONN
6'6 305 6'4 296 6'4 309 6'2 288 6'8 300

ehhhh.........(ours aren't updated yet either)

similar size...we will need to bring it defensively to counteract their experience and athleticism.....bend don't break defense.....

Reaction Score
BYU

UCONN

ehhhh....(ours aren't updated yet either)

similar size...we will need to bring it defensively to counteract their experience and athleticism.....bend don't break defense.....
BYUs line may be big and experienced, but last year were not very good. As a BYU fan I'm hoping to see much improvement. If they do improve that much then the offense should be formidable because the skill players are there.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am interested in seeing their size and measurables against our DL.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
BYUs line may be big and experienced, but last year were not very good. As a BYU fan I'm hoping to see much improvement. If they do improve that much then the offense should be formidable because the skill players are there.

Is your line more pass protect or run block? I know you guys run a ridiculously high tempo offense from the few times I've seen you on TV. With size like that, it seems like it should be more run block but I'm not familiar with the athleticism on your OL.

FYI - our OL is more run block. Our pass protect was putrid the past few seasons. Our run blocking wasn't much better under Pasqualoni/DeLeone (they ran a very complicated zone blocking scheme). Once DeLeone was shown the door and our old OL coach reinstated as OL coach, his mentality was hat on hat and there was improvement as the season progressed (in both phases but run blocking in particular).

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Myers, McBryde, and Fatukasi are all above 300lbs. Pruitt is near 290. It's not like we won't have some big boys to lock up with them. Maybe this is a game that showcases the 3-4, where we have a constant rotation of big boys, and the linebackers use their speed to cover the holes. Hopefully that combo, along with a solid secondary, will hopefully neutralize any advantage that their OLine might have...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

How did you do running the ball against Texas?

Reaction Score
How did you do running the ball against Texas?[/QUOT
The running against Texas was per the media poor schemes on the part of their coaches and poor execution by the defense. Nothing we did. How could a white QB with a leg brace outrun them without it being their fault?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
So your claim is that your offensive line wasn't very good and your performance against Texas was their fault, not your accomplishment?

Reaction Score
So your claim is that your offensive line wasn't very good and your performance against Texas was their fault, not your accomplishment?
Re-read I said per media. Our run and downfield blocking was great that day. The line was not so good for the season. Much room for improvement. Hill at QB is big, strong and deceptively fast.

Reaction Score

The o-line was solid last year but this season it's going to be one of the best in the nation. Read Phil Steele.

If Jamaal Williams is reinstated for UCONn, he and Hill will put at least 200-250 rushing yards on the ground and will be close to unstoppable.

Reaction Score
BYU is massive. Phil Steele ranks them #15 in USA! Hope our guys can jell in time!
This will be a HUGE upset for UCONN. Hard to believe BYU is not recognized as a "power team"

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2014/8/6/5964705/2014-byu-preview-the-offensive-line-cougars-football

I'm pretty surprised we (speaking as a BYU fan) are ranked that high - I thought last year our O-line was pretty weak, but steadily improved as the season went along, but not to the tune to be ranked that high.

We are usually pretty big on the O-line but we're also pretty slow. We had the biggest O-line in the country in 2008, but were beaten by sound defensive units.

Reaction Score
The o-line was solid last year but this season it's going to be one of the best in the nation. Read Phil Steele.

If Jamaal Williams is reinstated for UCONn, he and Hill will put at least 200-250 rushing yards on the ground and will be close to unstoppable.
didn't you just post that you were classy?

Reaction Score

Jamaal won't be reinstated, so that won't happen.

Reaction Score
BYU

UCONN

ehhhh....(ours aren't updated yet either)

Agreed we have some big guys too but BYU has the experience of playing together. Also I am concerned about our depth and the younger players. Like I said in the beginning of the thread. I hope we jell by 8/29/14. I am confident with Matera and Levi looked good in the Spring game. Hoping Knappe went to Arthur Murray dance school and has all the steps down! They are also thicker down the middle. Diaco's thought of beefing up the tight end with Hashemi for blocking purposes makes sense.

Don't want to see BYU get the run game going. Their Center Fusi and our nose tackle Julian Campenni should be a good battle.

Reaction Score
BYU ran for 550 yards against Texas last year behind a very strong performance by the OL, but unfortunately, that didn't happen every week. I expect some improvement from the OL for this season, but I'm not predicting them to be world beaters yet.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
All they can do is run, they'll never pass against our secondary,can wait to Obe crush they QB in the open field

Reaction Score
I don't like this matchup at all. Have to hope a fired up home crowd can effect byu.

They are a very good team. Wish this wasn't the first game.

Reaction Score
^Come on man whats with the lack of confidence.... you must believe......In Diaco We Trust.......We have to turn over the leaf, wipe the slate clean....We no longer have two buffoons running our program into the ground. No more creating terrible chemistry, loosing the confidence of the team, never being creative enough to do anything but run our scatback up the center's a s s, never properly using their TO's.

It's not like our guys don't have the ability......After a month of working solid techniques, and be coached by the football equivalent to KO they will be believing in each other as well. It's not like BYU is Alabama... come on.....If Uconn plays solid fundamental strong-willed resilient ball with our home crowd we will be just fine.....NO ENERGY VAMPIRESSSSSS

Reaction Score
Well I guess Texas is never going to play at BYU again. With that read option QB I would expect us to be in a 3-4 defense. They have great team speed, throw in the up tempo offense and our defense will be tested big time. Hope our offense can maintain drives and limit BYU time of possession.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Myers, McBryde, and Fatukasi are all above 300lbs. Pruitt is near 290. It's not like we won't have some big boys to lock up with them. Maybe this is a game that showcases the 3-4, where we have a constant rotation of big boys, and the linebackers use their speed to cover the holes. Hopefully that combo, along with a solid secondary, will hopefully neutralize any advantage that their OLine might have...

I talked about Myers, McBryde, Fatukasi, and Pruitt, and somehow I forgot to mention Campenni! There's another 300 pounder (well, 299) that is going to cause some havoc against BYU also. I may have forgotten him, but I guarantee you that BYU will not...

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-0808-20140807,0,6968621.story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom