BYU’s Mendenhall: ‘We would love to be in the Big 12’ | The Boneyard

BYU’s Mendenhall: ‘We would love to be in the Big 12’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BYU, a school with no conference affiliation, may get left behind because two major conferences are encouraging their schools not to schedule the Cougars.

If proposed legislative changes go through as expected, BYU will be shut out of the conversation completely as the five major conferences and Notre Dame fight for autonomy.

That’s why BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall went on the offensive Thursday, telling the American-Statesman that he’d love to join the Big 12. Although, two Big 12 sources said that idea is practically a nonstarter.

“We would love to be in the Big 12,” Mendenhall said. “I would love to be a member of that conference. I think that would make a lot of sense. In fact, if that was your headline, that would be great.”

Mendenhall explained his belief that BYU should be given equal weight as Notre Dame, technically a football independent but a school that is tying itself to the ACC. BYU’s athletic success, its worldwide fan base given its Mormon faith and the school’s television contact with ESPN make it an attractive addition to the Big 12.

“We have a chip on our shoulder,” Mendenhall said. “I could have given you that instead of the longer answer. I’m just wondering who fights for us as an independent?

“Between myself and my basketball coaches, there’s no two featured programs that have won mores games,” Mendenhall continued. “Our attendance is high enough. And our winning percentage is high enough.

“We have the entire Salt Lake City and Utah market as well as a worldwide following because of the church. There’d be a ton to offer the Big 12, because it’s a money-generated world right now. You’re talking about an amazing kind of brand.”

Then, Mendenhall added, “I bet I’d have the first plane ticket to whoever I have to see to present our case. How ‘bout us?”

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/spo...btomystatesman_launch#56202357.3703420.735389

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The ACC and SEC won't consider BYU games a substitute for playing another P5 school OOC. That doesn't mean they will not schedule them under any circumstances.

Reaction Score
Unlike some of the more complicated antitrust arguments, someone should just make a case that the ACC's declaration is a per se illegal tieing arrangement and arrest an ACC President for a few days and bring criminal charges. Maybe you don't make them stick against an individual but guess what -- the first time a university president spends 24 hours in a jail awaiting bail will be the last time that any university president chases money that he doesn't get to keep anyway at the risk of someone arguing that colleges are violating antitrust laws in doing so.

So which ACC school president takes a winter ski trip to Park City?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Unlike some of the more complicated antitrust arguments, someone should just make a case that the ACC's declaration is a per se illegal tieing arrangement and arrest an ACC President for a few days and bring criminal charges. Maybe you don't make them stick against an individual but guess what -- the first time a university president spends 24 hours in a jail awaiting bail will be the last time that any university president chases money that he doesn't get to keep anyway at the risk of someone arguing that colleges are violating antitrust laws in doing so.

Shalala - is there even a close competitor?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Great idea and jurisdiction would be the driving factor.

We need to find a way to have a select university official chosen as an honorary guest at next year's Sundance film festival.

Reaction Score
@TRest, What Incentive Exists For Them To Play Byu Under The Current System? Who Is Going To Do Home And Home Series With A Non P5 Program, That Is Year In Year Out Better Than All But Maybe The TOP 30 P5 Programs?

At Best They Will Get Home And Homes With The Likes Of Illinois And Indiana Like Us, But Given How Good They Normally Are, That Level P5 Team May Be Reluctant To Sign Up For Automatic Losses.

Reaction Score

The SEC said the same thing about playing BYU.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
@TRest, What Incentive Exists For Them To Play Byu Under The Current System? Who Is Going To Do Home And Home Series With A Non P5 Program, That Is Year In Year Out Better Than All But Maybe The TOP 30 P5 Programs?

At Best They Will Get Home And Homes With The Likes Of Illinois And Indiana Like Us, But Given How Good They Normally Are, That Level P5 Team May Be Reluctant To Sign Up For Automatic Losses.

The playoffs should do for college football what they did for college basketball. Playing a good mid-major is better for the SOS than playing a bad major in college basketball, as UConn learned this year on Selection Sunday.

This is not about quality wins and losses, this is about the P5 locking out the non-P5 from any access to the postseason and essentially marginalizing them.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Great idea and jurisdiction would be the driving factor.

We need to find a way to have a select university official chosen as an honorary guest at next year's Sundance film festival.

Why would jurisdiction matter? Most people don't care that much about college athletics, so I don't think judges are going to break all kinds of rules to help a university president that has stepped out of line.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Prior to this announcement, I didn't think this was a complicated anti-trust case because everything had been done out in the open. The very existence of conferences is an anti-trust problem, so the coordination of those conferences against each other to restrict competition becomes an anti-trust violation. The fact that the ACC and SEC came out and said it makes it easy to prosecute.

I suspect we are waiting for a plaintiff/accuser for the justice department to get involved. The logical candidates, including UConn, are justifiably concerned about retribution if they pursue legal action against the P5, but I don't think BYU is. BYU could be our greatest ally. They are large, incredibly wealthy through the church, very powerful politically, much more powerful than the P5 university Presidents. They literally have Senators from both parties in their pocket.

Reaction Score
I love this stuff as it gets messy. It helps UConn.

The BOLD move to exclude BYU from future games was just plain stupid. And, it is just sweet that we have a Notre Dame fan stick his head up ... and we can whack that mole. The P5 cartel is just blatantly anti-competitive. I root for more than UConn in this. BYU. Both USF and UCF; and, any other University that strives to grow and play these college sports at the highest championship level. The BCs, Wakes, Baylors, MississippiStates, Syracuses ... in; and you are placing this hard barrier from more deserving institutions? Based on this clubby Blazer-wearing crap?

Reaction Score
Nelson, Do Not Disagree With Your Point But That Is Not The Reality. P5 Schools Have Already Labeled The G5 Schools As Being Less Than And Have Openly Discussed Not Playing Them At All. Lesser P5 Schools Like Indiana Or Illinois Who Realistically Have Close To Zero Chance Of Obtaining One Of The Four Playoff Spots May Schedule Home And Homes With The Likes Of Us And Byu, But If You're Auburn, And Strength Of Schedule Is Not Going To Be An Issue Just By The Nature Of The Conference You Play In, Why Would You Risk A Loss To Byu? Could You Imagine The Backlash From Fans And Boosters If They Missed The Playoff Due To A Loss In Provo?

I Have No Clue If What The P5 Is Proposing Is Legal Or Not. And As Long As You Have The Likes Of Indiana And Illinois Still Playing Us, The P5 Could Say Were Not Boycotting Anyone, But We Can't ForceOur Conference Members Into Home and Homes With No Particular Institution.

Reaction Score
Nelson, Do Not Disagree With Your Point But That Is Not The Reality. P5 Schools Have Already Labeled The G5 Schools As Being Less Than And Have Openly Discussed Not Playing Them At All. Lesser P5 Schools Like Indiana Or Illinois Who Realistically Have Close To Zero Chance Of Obtaining One Of The Four Playoff Spots May Schedule Home And Homes With The Likes Of Us And Byu, But If You're Auburn, And Strength Of Schedule Is Not Going To Be An Issue Just By The Nature Of The Conference You Play In, Why Would You Risk A Loss To Byu? Could You Imagine The Backlash From Fans And Boosters If They Missed The Playoff Due To A Loss In Provo?

I Have No Clue If What The P5 Is Proposing Is Legal Or Not. And As Long As You Have The Likes Of Indiana And Illinois Still Playing Us, The P5 Could Say Were Not Boycotting Anyone, But We Can't ForceOur Conference Members Into Home and Homes With No Particular Institution.

I love the Capital Letters on all words. It's ... CLASSIC

Let me, a non-attorney, say this: it is illegal. And Illinois and Indiana playing UConn or BYU doesn't subvert the BOLD statement made that they won't play BYU. Screw them ... see you in Court.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Why would jurisdiction matter? Most people don't care that much about college athletics, so I don't think judges are going to break all kinds of rules to help a university president that has stepped out of line.

Putting aside the fact that my post was somewhat 'tongue-in-cheek (as nuance is difficult to convey over the internet) the reality is that it would be far easier for BYU to file action in Utah than in North Carolina and it would be nearly a meanignless action until the person entered the state where the action was filed.

Reaction Score
It's almost like Noeynox has a bad cough or something. Get well Noey.

Reaction Score
Maybe BYU should have procured a scheduling agreement with the Big 12 as ND did with the ACC....

Although FSU recently (2009 & 2010) played a home and home with BYU (won one game by 24 pt margin and other by 26), it makes little sense for an eastern conference to schedule home and homes with teams way out in Utah...it might make sense for the Big 12 and PAC 12.

Reaction Score
Maybe BYU should have procured a scheduling agreement with the Big 12 as ND did with the ACC....

Although FSU recently (2009 & 2010) played a home and home with BYU (won one game by 24 pt margin and other by 26), it makes little sense for an eastern conference to schedule home and homes with teams way out in Utah...it might make sense for the Big 12 and PAC 12.

Can we all agree though that it was flat out S-T-U-P-I-D to say that your conference was NOT going to schedule a excluded BYU? What the hell? How did serve any purpose but pissing the Y off? Maybe that was the intent. Maybe someone's hidden agenda was to get the CR winds blowing again.

NOW ... why would the ACC do that? Cause every move they seem to make opens up the change in status clause that leads to a marginal increase in their total gross.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
No one said that they were not going to schedule BYU - it's just not going to count as their one required P5 out of conference game.
That's what I posted earlier. If BYU remains a stronger program (and it seems to be slipping) there will still be a benefit to having them on the schedule, when one of the final playoff criteria is strength of schedule. BYU just can't be used as a substitute for a P5 program. Which means everybody in the country will be trying to schedule Rutgers.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
No one said that they were not going to schedule BYU - it's just not going to count as their one required P5 out of conference game.
"A school official from one of the 28 members in the ACC and SEC told CBSSports.com last week that he had stopped work on a series with BYU because of the scheduling philosophy."
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...st-latest-to-evaluate-whether-to-schedule-byu
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...st-latest-to-evaluate-whether-to-schedule-byu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom