BYU’s Mendenhall: ‘We would love to be in the Big 12’ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BYU’s Mendenhall: ‘We would love to be in the Big 12’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Unlike some of the more complicated antitrust arguments, someone should just make a case that the ACC's declaration is a per se illegal tieing arrangement and arrest an ACC President for a few days and bring criminal charges. Maybe you don't make them stick against an individual but guess what -- the first time a university president spends 24 hours in a jail awaiting bail will be the last time that any university president chases money that he doesn't get to keep anyway at the risk of someone arguing that colleges are violating antitrust laws in doing so.

So which ACC school president takes a winter ski trip to Park City?

A four-color postcard with the words "congratulations, you've won a ski trip to beautiful Park City" splashed across the front would likely generate a few candidates.

Reaction Score
I have never been to Boise to watch a game...it is beautiful...but Freekin' cold for a Florida boy....expensive flights...ugly, ugly field.

And FSU is scheduled to play Boise a home and home in the future.

Reaction Score
Folks can't quibble about FSU not scheduling....the Noles have gone to Boulder to play Colorado, Provo to play BYU, and are going to god forsaken Idaho to play Boise on that eye searing blue rug.

It's almost as bad as playing that Canadian team, Syracuse.

Reaction Score
That's what I posted earlier. If BYU remains a stronger program (and it seems to be slipping) there will still be a benefit to having them on the schedule, when one of the final playoff criteria is strength of schedule. BYU just can't be used as a substitute for a P5 program. Which means everybody in the country will be trying to schedule Rutgers.
Why? What good could come from a loss to RU? Its not like outside 10 or 15 teams anyone else is a juggernaut in the P5!?! Look at UConn for instance... not much difference in 16 to 100!Look at Cuse-Akron or Stoney Brook..UConn-Towson..even Mich-App St! After a few top FB factories everything evens out except the fan interest in P5 school's.

Reaction Score
Why? What good could come from a loss to RU? Its not like outside 10 or 15 teams anyone else is a juggernaut in the P5!?! Look at UConn for instance... not much difference in 16 to 100!Look at Cuse-Akron or Stoney Brook..UConn-Towson..even Mich-App St! After a few top FB factories everything evens out except the fan interest in P5 school's.
Excellent points. It's mostly perception out there. The AAC has some very good programs who could beat more than half of the P5 teams any given Saturday, or Thursday.

Reaction Score
Excellent points. It's mostly perception out there. The AAC has some very good programs who could beat more than half of the P5 teams any given Saturday, or Thursday.
Yes I agree and after last year i decided EVERYTHING is BS about the great strength of the P5 ...only a few GREAT teams and then there's everyone else! All in all though mostly due to location and wealth ALL the major state u's in the great markets have to be included i the P5. I laugh at some of these ignorant posts on who and who doesn't belong from some of these "middle of the pack" big mouthes already in or those just envious lol! Someone once said when playing lower perceived school's with easy win's expected "they really have no idea" how hard W's are to come by!Good post UConn13KC.

pj

Reaction Score
Unlike some of the more complicated antitrust arguments, someone should just make a case that the ACC's declaration is a per se illegal tieing arrangement and arrest an ACC President for a few days and bring criminal charges. Maybe you don't make them stick against an individual but guess what -- the first time a university president spends 24 hours in a jail awaiting bail will be the last time that any university president chases money that he doesn't get to keep anyway at the risk of someone arguing that colleges are violating antitrust laws in doing so.

So which ACC school president takes a winter ski trip to Park City?

Well, if an arrest warrant is awaiting, you can be certain ACC schools won't be scheduling BYU.

Reaction Score
Temple, Tulane, Houston, FAU, FIU, UAB are all in great markets....now if folks, nationwide watched them...that would be another thing.

Alabama, Auburn, FSU, etc are in horrible markets, as markets go, But their appeal is beyond the local market.

Reaction Score
Temple, Tulane, Houston, FAU, FIU, UAB are all in great markets....now if folks, nationwide watched them...that would be another thing.

Alabama, Auburn, FSU, etc are in horrible markets, as markets go, But their appeal is beyond the local market.
Yes billy i agree but which of the great market group is a major flagship-type State U? Thats what I was alluding too. Tough too see a UConn left out much longer...way too much juice and influence coupled with interest! Look at all of us fans from all over coming here....a couple yrs ago they were'nt even thought to be on the B1G's radar now it seem's its just a matter of partner IMO!?!

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
That read like it was written by 2nd grader.

agreed but i liked that they basically ended up saying BYU to AAC within 5 years. Bring SDSU (screw Boise) or ODU/Charlotte along with them.

Reaction Score
BYU football is the real deal. A shame how they're being treated. They should join the AAC and bring their basketball with them.

Reaction Score
So BYU is full frontal about Big 12 desires? Time to go all out

Camouflaged by NCAA litigation and LeBron's leg cramps was a nice and tidy nugget of news last week courtesy of Bronco Mendenhall.

BYU's coach would like to join the Big 12.
"I would love to be a member of that conference,"
Mendenhall told the Austin American-Statesman. "I think that would make a lot of sense."
This was clearly a calculated move. When the Cougars' coach of nearly a decade comes out that strongly, you can guess others in the BYU offices knew the comments were coming. Athletic director Tom Holmoe
probably did.
This seemed like a planned, united -- and maybe a bit desperate -- front.

Maybe Mendenhall is feeling what athletic directors at

Louisville, West Virginia and Rutgers once felt: The walls closing in, the dividing line of power-conference prosperity in neon lights. At least those three had a safe landing strip.

Apparently football independence becomes less a way of life and more a three-year bandage when tens of millions are at stake. BYU doesn't have to look far to know what Cincinnati, UConn and USF are dealing with. They stand to lose at least $100 million in revenue over the next seven years after realignment left them behind.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ontal-about-big-12-desires-time-to-go-all-out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom