BY'ers the team you're looking for is 20 months away... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BY'ers the team you're looking for is 20 months away...

Reaction Score
Some of you are drinking the boneyard delusional kool aid a little too hard. We have some nice pieces for next year but we're a few years away from being a team that contends for a conference championship, let alone one that makes noise in the tournament. Yes, I think Hurley will make great strides next year, and I'm excited for the incoming freshman. But every single year we hype our freshman up to no end, and we completely forget that 90% of them take a year or two to get comfortable enough to meaningfully contribute. Our point guard next year has spent close to 80% if not more of his college career injured and sidelined. As much as Jalen drives me nuts next year, if any incoming freshman or current guard on our roster brings what he does to the table next year for a full season (that last caveat for AG) I will be astonished.

Hurley is a great coach and exactly who UConn needs going forward, but let's chill out with some of these predictions. We're a few years away still from being in the national conversation again (i.e. consistently challenging for even top 3 in this league, winning a number of meaningful non conference games, maybe even an actual ranked squad again).

Reaction Score
No, I actually pondered my word choice and chose "probability" because I truly think it's more likely than not going to happen. It's an advantage of playing in a relatively weak conference now. Think about it: the ACC is, by all measures, a colloquial "tier" above the American. So for us, getting three top 100 freshman (who in my opinion are really all top 50 guys) is the equivalent of a near Zion/RJ/Reddish haul. Hence, I specifically said "run train all over the conference"; our non-conference performance will probably be good but not great.

By that logic Alterique as a burger boy should be nigh unguardable. Jalen and the rest of the 4/5 star recruits should let the American know about their recruiting rankings, seems like the other teams haven't been notified that they should be getting train run on them.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Not enough. Unless we get someone of Miller’s skills.

As of now that's all we have, and Shonn Millers don't grow on trees. We can ask for the stars but got to be realistic too.

Reaction Score
By that logic Alterique as a burger boy should be nigh unguardable. Jalen and the rest of the 4/5 star recruits should let the American know about their recruiting rankings, seems like the other teams haven't been notified that they should be getting train run on them.
My whole point is just that I've seen them all play and am using my oh-so-amateur talent evaluation skills to say that our recruits are super undervalued. The rankings are just another data point, but it's the most convenient one for discussing players and predicting performance, so that's why I used it originally. Anyway, I think Hurley also sees next year as more than a stepping stone, and a realistic time to finally establish ourselves as a perennial conference heavyweight.

Reaction Score
Who said forget the NC's. Sir, you have insulted me at my UConn roots. If duels were not illegal, I would call you out a sunrise.

Here's what I am saying, 2019-2020 we will be a much better team but not yet at the top of the conference. November 2020 is the team I am looking for that will be the team that generates the old excitement and the teams after that will be regular top 5 and NC's.

Willie Here's some history in 1996-97 we were 18-14 and did not make the tournament. (That could be like next years team)

In 1997-98 we went 32-5, but lost in the elite 8 (that's the team that could be like the team that is 20 months away)

In 1998-99 its 34-2 and a national championship (that's the future teams).

That’s not history it’s just a few years ago. Who did we lose to in that NIT Detroit or someone? Jackson State was when Scotty was still with us right?

Anyway I understand what you’re saying and agree mostly but still think next years team can bring excitement enough to be playing for the big dance, not a player to win all that much but good enough to really see what’s on the other end of that tunnel again. I know it’s baby steps to even dream of who we were in the 90s early 00s but he will need to win enough to get the confidence of recruits he needs.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
That’s not history it’s just a few years ago. Who did we lose to in that NIT Detroit or someone? Jackson State was when Scotty was still with us right?

Anyway I understand what you’re saying and agree mostly but still think next years team can bring excitement enough to be playing for the big dance, not a player to win all that much but good enough to really see what’s on the other end of that tunnel again. I know it’s baby steps to even dream of who we were in the 90s early 00s but he will need to win enough to get the confidence of recruits he needs.

Detroit game is a vague memory for me. Jackson State was Lindsay Hunter — he was unstoppable.

Reaction Score
I think next years team can at least get us through February with some hope for a bubble spot. I mean that would be fine with me just to have some hope and to enjoy these games. These past two/three seasons during the winter have been brutal

Reaction Score
… at best. And that team, 20 months away, will be one to fight for a conference championship and earn a good showing at the dance, but not contend for a NC. I think all the pie-in-the-sky expectations have been put to rest by now and you all know what kind of season this is. Let's get behind this coach and these kids and encourage them to keep on scrapping and fighting. Applaud their attitude and their heart. You are getting the privilege of seeing something that was done once before when the JC took over a moribund program and turned it into the best in the country. These days are the days that will forge future championships. Let's watch the overly critical analysis. Earn what you think you are, "The Best College Basketball Fans In The Country"
Sorry, not my style. There is only this year. My team is on the UConn bench and I am rooting for them to exceed expectations.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Who said forget the NC's. Sir, you have insulted me at my UConn roots. If duels were not illegal, I would call you out a sunrise.

Here's what I am saying, 2019-2020 we will be a much better team but not yet at the top of the conference. November 2020 is the team I am looking for that will be the team that generates the old excitement and the teams after that will be regular top 5 and NC's.

Willie Here's some history in 1996-97 we were 18-14 and did not make the tournament. (That could be like next years team)

In 1997-98 we went 32-5, but lost in the elite 8 (that's the team that could be like the team that is 20 months away)

In 1998-99 its 34-2 and a national championship (that's the future teams).

Ok, my apologies, peace

Reaction Score
I don’t understand projecting next year’s team performance without knowing if we get quality in the last recruiting spot.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I don’t understand projecting next year’s team performance without knowing if we get quality in the last recruiting spot.
Sounds like a true statement to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom