BY25 poll #3: Results are in | The Boneyard

BY25 poll #3: Results are in

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Number of 1st-place votes shown in parentheses:

1608587870513.png

Also receiving votes (on at least two ballots): South Dakota State 43, Missouri State 30, Clemson 21, Arizona State 20, Tennessee 18, Washington State 14, Villanova 13, Iowa State 12, Oregon State 11, Rutgers 10, Georgia 9, North Carolina 6.

The following teams appeared on only one ballot: Drake, Georgia Tech, UCF, Florida Gulf Coast, Alabama, Cal Baptist, Virginia Tech, Rice.

Thank you to all who voted. Twenty-two ballots were submitted.

The next poll will be Monday, January 4, 2021.

Reaction Score
I mean, some of these votes I can rationalize, but others like Clemson who lost to Pittsburgh is tough. Oregon State still getting love is surprising. I'm still unclear on why some people are continuing to vote for Texas and Ohio State when they haven't proven themselves this year outside of being a typical name you can simply fill in the line. South Dakota State did beat Missouri State and Gonzaga, but also lost to Kansas State and Northern Iowa. That's a tough one for me to judge.

Michigan State still being below Iowa despite the H2H win is baffling.

Reaction Score
I was hesitant to put Iowa in after a loss, but I’m fine with it b/c they’ve played pretty well this year so far & have a couple good wins. Glad to see Mich St. crack BY poll & the AP poll! I had them at #23 but man it was so hard ranking the bottom quarter of the poll with all the losses. I had Wash. St at #25 & I see they loss to Oregon by only 4 today so I’d keep an eye on them for the upcoming weeks. I think Syracuse is overrated & they’ve been shooting so horribly this year. The Big Ten is going to be a fun league to watch this year & the PAC-12 of course!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Nice to see a team from the WAC get a vote in the poll this week.

I mean, some of these votes I can rationalize, but others like Clemson who lost to Pittsburgh is tough. Oregon State still getting love is surprising. I'm still unclear on why some people are continuing to vote for Texas and Ohio State when they haven't proven themselves this year outside of being a typical name you can simply fill in the line. South Dakota State did beat Missouri State and Gonzaga, but also lost to Kansas State and Northern Iowa. That's a tough one for me to judge.

Clemson is 8-1.... in a power 5 conference... and Pitt isn't as bad as some of yall seem to think. They are an young, up and coming squad. Next year the Panthers will challenge for a spot in the top 10 of the acc

I have more of a problem with a 2-4 Drake squad getting a vote.

Reaction Score
Nice to see a team from the WAC get a vote in the poll this week.

Clemson is 8-1.... in a power 5 conference... and Pitt isn't as bad as some of yall seem to think. They are an young, up and coming squad. Next year the Panthers will challenge for a spot in the top 10 of the acc

We are talking about the same Pittsburgh that lost to Delaware, yeah?

Plebe

Reaction Score

Whenever someone tries to invoke the phrase "power 5", I know they have a losing case.

Five of Clemson's 8 wins came against Furman, Presbyterian, Charlotte, Mercer and College of Charleston. Last I checked, none of those teams are in the ACC. Charlotte led for about half the game, and the score was tied late in the 4th quarter.

In ACC play, Clemson picked up a worthless win over hapless Virginia, squeaked by a Florida State team that not even the ACC homers have in their top 25 anymore, and toyed with that team of wayward wannabes from the wastelands of northern Indiana.

We are talking about the same Pittsburgh that lost to Delaware, yeah?
But wait, is that an up and coming Delaware? Surely they must be up and coming :D

1608590734796.png

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well folks anybody who calls themselves a UConn fan and didnt vote them number 1 is banned from this board for life. Only kidding. UConn is number 1 this year for me. You guys can vote for who ever you want. I will make this a short post. The top 2 teams are UConn Stanford LVille is third and NC State and Baylor are next. That could change if Baylor doesnt do something at the PG position. I will follow that up with SC and they need help at the point too. If you disagree with me that UConn is number 1 well UConn has 2 number 1 HS players of the year and a 2 Evina and Oliva top 5.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Whenever someone tries to invoke the phrase "power 5", I know they have a losing case.

Five of Clemson's 8 wins came against Furman, Presbyterian, Charlotte, Mercer and College of Charleston. Last I checked, none of those teams are in the ACC. Charlotte led for about half the game, and the score was tied late in the 4th quarter.

In ACC play, Clemson picked up a worthless win over hapless Virginia, squeaked by a Florida State team that not even the ACC homers have in their top 25 anymore, and toyed with that team of wayward wannabes from the wastelands of northern Indiana.

Dag... you didn't have to put it like that

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Stanford's dunking on opponents and Baylor is beating theirs by almost 100 points. After them probably Louisville, UCONN, and N.C. State to round out the top five.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Well folks anybody who calls themselves a UConn fan and didnt vote them number 1 is banned from this board for life. Only kidding. UConn is number 1 this year for me. You guys can vote for who ever you want. I will make this a short post. The top 2 teams are UConn Stanford LVille is third and NC State and Baylor are next. That could change if Baylor doesnt do something at the PG position. I will follow that up with SC and they need help at the point too
Tony, you (and all others viewing this message) are cordially invited to start 2021 off on the right foot, by voting in the next poll of January 4.

Sorry, I wouldn't be a good poll organizer if I didn't inject a shameless plug there :)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So, if we are doing shameless plugs for ourselves:
1. I voted for FGCU @#24
2. I also voted for 3 other mid-majors (SDSU, Mizzou St, Gonzaga) and USF in my poll #28/#29 were Milwaukee and South Dakota!
I am hopeful that this year, given the dearth of quality P5 teams, more teams from the mid-majors will be given opportunities. Heck, the Summitt Conference could warrant 3 bids. They all play anyone, anywhere. Hopefully the committee sees through the shameful scheduling of some the mid P5 schools. But then again if our BY brethren can't see that, why should the committee...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Who is Baylor beating up on? NW State who is 1-7 and McNeese State who is winless. In other words, the usual cupcakes. I said don't underestimate Baylor, but these are the games that need not be played.

Reaction Score
Well folks anybody who calls themselves a UConn fan and didnt vote them number 1 is banned from this board for life. Only kidding. UConn is number 1 this year for me. You guys can vote for who ever you want. I will make this a short post. The top 2 teams are UConn Stanford LVille is third and NC State and Baylor are next. That could change if Baylor doesnt do something at the PG position. I will follow that up with SC and they need help at the point too. If you disagree with me that UConn is number 1 well UConn has 2 number 1 HS players of the year and a 2 Evina and Oliva top 5.

Guilty as charged. Not enough of a resume yet for #1, but be patient it's coming soon enough

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The reason we're voting for questionable teams is that outside of the top few, all the teams have question marks. There are undefeated teams who haven't played anybody of note, and almost all the teams have had either squeakers or losses against inferior teams. I had South Carolina as a clear #1 preseason, then they had close games with South Dakota and Gonzaga and lost to NC State.

It's just that kind of year.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

But wait, is that an up and coming Delaware? Surely they must be up and coming :D

View attachment 62746

Almost any Hoosier living South of Logansport would wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of the wayward wannabes and the Northern Indiana wastelands.

Reaction Score
Who is Baylor beating up on? NW State who is 1-7 and McNeese State who is winless. In other words, the usual cupcakes. I said don't underestimate Baylor, but these are the games that need not be played.
Hardly agree; any year, there are only 8-10 teams that dominate college basketball and rarely are there upsets. Even with Covid, think the top teams should schedule tough competition including between themselves during non-league play. Playing a cupcake and beating them by 100 does not improve your team and it shouldn't impress anyone outside of your program.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Southland Conference: Central Arkansas 2-6 won by 45 pts, Northwestern St 0-4 won by 93 pts and McNeese 0-7 won by 93 pts.

Southwestern Athletic Conference: Southern 0-6 won by 34

American Athletic Conference: @USF 4-1 won by 5

Southeastern Conference: @arkansas 5-1 lost by 5

Big 12 Conference: @West Virginia 6-2 won by 20, and Texas Tech won by 46

Only 3 games are 20 points or less all 3 are on the road and one was a loss. The only two teams that gave Baylor any challenge are ranked in the Top 25. Of all of the Power 5 conferences I believe that the Southwest conference is the weakest and may end up behind the Big East at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Baylor lost. Results matter. Blowing out terrible teams doesnt make up for losing to the only decent team they have faced.
Well we may join that list of schools getting our butt kicked by Baylor when we head down for our annual beating in two weeks.

Plebe

Reaction Score
By one point.

South Florida has the H2H win over Mississippi State and yet is more than 100 points behind in the voting.

Same thing with DePaul beating Kentucky, but trailing them by over 150 points.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Baylor lost. Results matter. Blowing out terrible teams doesnt make up for losing to the only decent team they have faced.
Results matter but unless you are actually watching teams play you can judge them accurately. Arizona is undefeated but is barely escaping against unranked teams. Eventually they will play Stanford, Oregon, et al, and fall to around 15th.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom