BY25 poll #2: Results are in | The Boneyard

BY25 poll #2: Results are in

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Stanford narrowly edges out Louisville for the top spot.

Number of 1st-place votes shown in parentheses:

1607409552787.png

Also receiving votes (on at least two ballots): North Carolina 58, Iowa 47, Iowa State 41, Arizona State 37, West Virginia 34, DePaul 32, South Dakota 32, Florida State 14, Drake 8, Duke 7, Clemson 6, Ohio 5.

The following teams appeared on only one ballot: North Dakota State, Boston College, Virginia Tech, UCF, Villanova, North Dakota, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Michigan State.

Thank you to all who voted. The turnout was a new BY25 record: 30 ballots submitted.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Would love to hear the argument for South Carolina over Oregon for anyone that had them as such.

Would be cool to see high and low rankings as well if it doesnt take too long.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga getting way too much respect for losing two games. Knock em out of the top 25 until they can prove they can win a game against top 25 comp. Much more deserving teams to be in the top 25 rather than rewarding a team for *keeping it close* against better teams. At some point wins matter.

Reaction Score
Would love to hear the argument for South Carolina over Oregon for anyone that had them as such.

I had Oregon over South Carolina, but I still had them close because South Carolina has played a couple of ranked teams while Oregon has played nobodies up to this point. They (Oregon) might have looked good in those games, but so did Charli Collier and Texas in their first couple of games before facing real competition (though that game was admittedly close). I guess we’ll have to have a larger sample size and some quality games (like Oregon vs Oregon State this coming Sunday) before really determining where to put teams like Oregon.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Gonzaga getting way too much respect for losing two games. Knock em out of the top 25 until they can prove they can win a game against top 25 comp. Much more deserving teams to be in the top 25 rather than rewarding a team for *keeping it close* against better teams. At some point wins matter.
You realize that by that standard, the majority of the teams in the top 25 shouldn't be ranked at this point, including Stanford, UConn and Oregon.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I'm thrilled that NC State got a #1 vote but I want it stated on the record that it was not me that did that; my #1 was Louisville, followed by Stanford, NC State, UCONN and South Carolina.

Reaction Score
I had Stanford, State and Louisville. Both State and Louisville have played very well thus far.

Reaction Score
I see South Dakota St. made a splash at #17. I had them at #20 but I admit it was tough ranking teams #16- #25 because all those teams either lost, struggled to win or played smaller schools. Maybe I should have rated South Dakota St. & Michigan higher now thinking about it.

Reaction Score
Rivalry weekend this in the pac 12 will provide additional perspective on these rankings.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Rivalry weekend this in the pac 12 will provide additional perspective on these rankings.
Meh, I am not thinking this years contests will match the upsets of past years. Oregon is much better than OSU, Stanford will crush Cal, Wash should beat WSU (but either team is an afterthought), Utah should beat Col (see UW/WSU comment), and despite ASU’s win over USC, Arizona should beat them handily. Maybe the UCLA game with USC is close only because Cori Close can’t coach but the talent disparity is apparent.
But as @triaddukefan always says, “throw out the book” (cue pithy meme insert). :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

South Carolina has three comfortable quality wins away from home and its one close loss was to a probable 1/2 seed in a rock fight where both teams shot 25%.

Oregon doesn't necessarily have a quality win and I think the turnover of their roster was extensive enough to where they do not merit the automatic move up.

Plenty of time for them to catch up.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Stanford narrowly edges out Louisville for the top spot.

Number of 1st-place votes shown in parentheses:

View attachment 62170

Also receiving votes (on at least two ballots): North Carolina 58, Iowa 47, Iowa State 41, Arizona State 37, West Virginia 34, DePaul 32, South Dakota 32, Florida State 14, Drake 8, Duke 7, Clemson 6, Ohio 5.

The following teams appeared on only one ballot: North Dakota State, Boston College, Virginia Tech, UCF, Villanova, North Dakota, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Michigan State.

Thank you to all who voted. The turnout was a new BY25 record: 30 ballots submitted.
First off, Again THANK YOU for doing this! Many of us do appreciate your efforts to "herd cats" and create an interesting thread for us to compare and contrast.

That said, some of our posters clearly do not do any homework when assessing their rankings. To wit:
North Carolina coming in #26? Has anyone seen them play, plus they have played a pathetic schedule thus far.. I am with @triaddukefan on this, they are overrated at this point. Beat someone of consequence. Same goes for Ohio State-show me that you can beat someone.
Florida State? we must have too many closet ACC fans here.
Drake? Umm, normally I like mid-major votes (see SD, Gonzaga, Mizzou St and SDU) But Drake this year is not top 25 material.
Duke? Must be sympathy votes for Triad due to all the pain he's endured with JPM...Empathy-yes, Top 25-no
CLEMSON???? Seriously, CLEMSON? revoke those credentials. Heck, Wake Forest deserves the vote significantly more than Clemson, they actually beat Maryland Missouri State.

Then there are the "Crazy Ivan's" who voted on 1 ballot for most of those teams. I mean 0-3 North Dakota? (vs. a good North Dakato State- did they confuse the names?) BC? they played no one to warrant a vote. Mich St? oh boy. UCF? Beating LSU means they are Top 25 or was that @SECbbfan24 who voted? "Nova at 4-0 whose biggest win is over Temple? Love the BigEast support, however ill-conceived.

Come on, let's use a bit of effort and logic when assessing teams. sheesh.. :confused:
And I thought my BY brethren used a discerning eye on these teams records, instead, they fall into the trap of the voting media...At least ND and Tenn didn't get any votes. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
First off, Again THANK YOU for doing this! Many of us do appreciate your efforts to "herd cats" and create an interesting thread for us to compare and contrast.

That said, some of our posters clearly do not do any homework when assessing their rankings. To wit:
North Carolina coming in #26? Has anyone seen them play, plus they have play a pathetic schedule thus far.. I am with @triaddukefan on this, they are overrated at this point. Beat someone of consequence. Same goes for Ohio State-show me that you can beat someone.
Florida State? we must have too many closet ACC fans here.
Drake? Umm, normally I like mid-major votes (see SD, Gonzaga, Mizzou St and SDU) But Drake this year is not top 25 material.
Duke? Must be sympathy votes for Triad due to all the pain he's endured with JPM...Empathy-yes, Top 25-no
CLEMSON???? Seriously, CLEMSON? revoke those credentials. Heck, Wake Forest deserves the vote significantly more than Clemson, they actually beat Maryland.

Then there are the "Crazy Ivan's" who voted on 1 ballot for most of those teams. I mean 0-3 North Dakota? They lost to all mediocre teams. BC? they played no one to warrant a vote. Mich St? oh boy. UCF? Beating LSU means they are Top 25 or was that @SECbbfan24 who voted? "Nova at 4-0 whose biggest win is over Temple? Love the BigEast support, however ill-conceived.

Come on, let's use a bit of effort and logic when assessing teams. sheesh.. :confused:
And I thought my BY brethren used a discerning eye on these teams records, instead, they fall into the trap of the voting media...At least ND and Tenn didn't get any votes. :rolleyes:

Just some minor quibbles. Wake Forest beat Missouri State, not Maryland. North Dakota State just completed a sweep of Green Bay to go with a win over a traditionally decent mid in Northern Iowa to compile a 3-0 record. I can respect them getting some recognition this early in the year.

Drake did just thrash Minnesota, but probably don’t deserve to be ranked after that loss to Green Bay. I think quibbling over some teams that don’t have significant wins is moot at this point because that’s like half the Top 25. I’d agree that teams like Ohio State, Duke, North Carolina are only getting voted based on brand recognition. A lot of votes are going to be subjective depending on what the particular voter utilizes as their metric for rating teams. I agree that Florida State lost some talent, but this is a team that consistently has performed and I think the jury is still out on them.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Just some minor quibbles. Wake Forest beat Missouri State, not Maryland. North Dakota State just completed a sweep of Green Bay to go with a win over a traditionally decent mid in Northern Iowa to compile a 3-0 record. I can respect them getting some recognition this early in the year.

Drake did just thrash Minnesota, but probably don’t deserve to be ranked after that loss to Green Bay. I think quibbling over some teams that don’t have significant wins is moot at this point because that’s like half the Top 25. I’d agree that teams like Ohio State, Duke, North Carolina are only getting voted based on brand recognition. A lot of votes are going to be subjective depending on what the particular voter utilizes as their metric for rating teams. I agree that Florida State lost some talent, but this is a team that consistently has performed and I think the jury is still out on them.
I definitely transposed the Missouri St, Maryland and Wake sets of games. Thanks. Not sure why you mentioned ND State as I didn't mention them. They had some nice mid-major wins so I can understand why someone would vote them but when they play the SD's, we shall see.
I watched both NC and Florida State sets of games, so I am not convinced on either. Plus FSU has an interim coach so there could be some learning curve issues. At least they did beat Florida.

Reaction Score

I like Oregon a lot and had them (#4) over SC (#6). But I can't wait til they get whacked so we can see what you have to say about that.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Regarding Drake: I would invite anyone to watch a replay of the Drake-Iowa game, and see for yourself if both of them don't look like top 25 teams at this point.

I see South Dakota St. made a splash at #17. I had them at #20 but I admit it was tough ranking teams #16- #25 because all those teams either lost, struggled to win or played smaller schools. Maybe I should have rated South Dakota St. & Michigan higher now thinking about it.

And this is the part where I shamelessly pat myself on the back for having the Jackrabbits already in the teens of my preseason ballot :) The big caveat is they've played only in Brookings so far; we'll see how they fare over the next couple weeks in road tests at Kansas State, Northern Iowa and Missouri State.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Interesting that the BY had the same number of voters as the AP poll.
That is quite the coincidence. We might have had 31 ballots, but someone submitted their ballot on Saturday and then never got back to me with an update to reflect Sunday's games.

Also, the accountant types might notice that we had fewer available points than the AP poll. This is because two voters time submitted "short" ballots of only 10 teams, and another ballot I had to end up treating as short due to a duplicate that the voter wasn't able to correct in time.

Reaction Score
I definitely transposed the Missouri St, Maryland and Wake sets of games. Thanks. Not sure why you mentioned ND State as I didn't mention them. They had some nice mid-major wins so I can understand why someone would vote them but when they play the SD's, we shall see.
I watched both NC and Florida State sets of games, so I am not convinced on either. Plus FSU has an interim coach so there could be some learning curve issues. At least they did beat Florida.
In your post you complain about someone voting for North Dakota—the voter only voted for North Dakota State, so I was just correcting you on that front.

Plebe

Reaction Score
In your post you complain about someone voting for North Dakota—the voter only voted for North Dakota State, so I was just correcting you on that front.
Actually, both North Dakota and North Dakota State received a single vote each (and on separate ballots, I might add).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom