By the time Diaco learns how to coach. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

By the time Diaco learns how to coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"If anyone hired a CEO at several million and that person performed like Diaco has for two years, he would be long gone." -- implies that you think Diaco should've been already fired. Bless your soul.

So you disagree with that statement?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

I'll defer to the posters who are knowledgeable about the business world to make those kinds of determinations.

Reaction Score
I'll defer to the posters who are knowledgeable about the business world to make those kinds of determinations.

You in government, academia, the clergy? Something without consequences and a never ending supply of money?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
You in government, academia, the clergy? Something without consequences and a never ending supply of money?

Whatever I am, I'm a hell of a lot more pleasant to be around than a jerkoff like you.

Reaction Score

actually, all three of those have a finite supply of money and need to do strict budgeting.

Reaction Score
Hey
Went to college and roomed with a Steve Caliendo from Windsor
Any relation?
Just wondering

Agree with your comments
This guy may be recruiting better talent but his play calling and game management is awful at this point

I don't think so. There are Caliendos in that area I know, but not within two relations to me. Nor is Frank Caliendo. :)

Reaction Score
actually, all three of those have a finite supply of money and need to do strict budgeting.

Perhaps in theory for two of those, not so sure about the government (at least the Feds).

Reaction Score
Storrsbred said:
What does having his own players have to do with the idiotic game decisions being made by the staff? If anyone hired a CEO at several million and that person performed like Diaco has for two years, he would be long gone.
I have no problem with Diaco and staff making a few questionable coaching decisions. Think of them as growing pains. He's a 1st time head coach and there will be some bumps in the road. Bottom line this team is better than it was last year and will be better next year. Diaco and staff has this program headed in the right direction.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have no problem with Diaco and staff making a few questionable coaching decisions. Think of them as growing pains. He's a 1st time head coach and there will be some bumps in the road. Bottom line this team is better than it was last year and will be better next year. Diaco and staff has this program headed in the right direction.

At this point, The players are leaving the coaches in the dust in terms of development and improvement.

Reaction Score
I love Diaco's culture approach. Not sure he is a very sound coach when it comes to basic execution and game management

Reaction Score
Is this a bad time to remind everyone that I wanted Tom Herman in the worst way?

Given his background says Texas. Texas. Texas. Why do you think he'd have either connections or desire to show up in New England ? And presumably we aren't paying 200% of his Texas school.

As for the burning at the stake of our FB coaches ... I'd say that was a very frustrating game. Sad & upset. But I think the offense is getting better ... but I see better playmakers on that green team today.

Reaction Score
Are you too young to remember the financial crisis a few years back? How are those CEO's doing now? Fired, nope. Thank you have a nice day.

Reaction Score
Diaco is our coach for better or worse. Might be worse, but my hope is it gets better. Let's see how we finish out.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Absolutely. This program had only one way to go ... up. You did not have to be a rocket scientist to figure out where the changes needed to be made off the field....
He spends 1 or 2 more years here and then leaves.... I would rather start now with a proven coach and not move $$$ toward a coach that cannot effectively manage on game day. At a seven figure salary, we hired a coach that has proven over 18 games, that he can't manage critical points, make key decisions. It is one thing to wait but at the price we are paying, he should already have it down..... and not use us as a learning and improvement vehicle.

So because he will make us better in the future and get better at game day management that he could be poached by a P5 team, we should skip the whole "get us better" part and dump him before he dumps us?

So in short, you think we should be firing Diaco right now? And replace him with which proven coach?

As much as I disagree with most of his other opinions, the OP has this right. HCBD is getting an education coaching the Huskies right now. But he's a pretty smart guy and I expect him to get better (and so do you it seems). As long as we get better, preemptively dumping him seems like an incredibly foolish thing to do - but then again, I'm sober.

Reaction Score
Diaco isn't going anywhere. We are riding that horse to the B1G. Get on the horse. If he needs to adjust his staff, he will.

Reaction Score
If he gets us to the point where he's valuable enough to move on I'd be very happy.

Reaction Score
Okay sure, let's can Diaco. Put Don Patterson in for the rest of the season and hire someone else in the offseason. Then, when you're inevitably dissatisfied with the new coach, can him as well as Warde for good measure (since he keeps screwing up so many coaching hires). 5th coach and 3rd AD since 2011. Do you see what kind of path your impatience leads us down? I'm very glad you aren't our AD.
Did you not post a thread on who should be fired? Counseling is available, free if you can not afford it.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Did you not post a thread on who should be fired? Counseling is available, free if you can not afford it.

I was asking the community at large what their thoughts were. Not once did I say I wanted anyone fired. I created that thread to a) blow off steam due to anger and b) spark discussion. Which it did on both accounts.

Reaction Score
He'll move on. Hate to say it. But that's how it looks from here.

He should be paying UConn for this education.
This loss had a lot to do with coaching. Time expiring with a tackle on the 2 yard line and a timeout in your pocket is unacceptable. 3 points left on the table.

Not kicking a fld goal early in the first half left another 3 points on the table.

Kicking a 45+ yard field goal into the wind on 4th and inches?

Still firmly behind Diaco and staff... But this is a game the staff needs to learn from.

Reaction Score
I'm opting for a third alternative. Diaco does learn here, the team does improve(including in game decisions) and he stays because UConn is committed to putting a winner on the football field and can come up with the finances to upgrade the Rent as customer demand dictates it. Any raises or extensions to his contract are dependent on results and I'm sure he is fair minded enough to accept that. I think pride with him is pretty important and he wouldn't want to leave a mess behind that has his name on it. Most in here figured it would take til year three for a legit shot at a bowl so I say let this year play out and see who the staff can recruit this cycle. Besides, the league is getting stronger every year and I say that as long as there's a G-5 bid out there for a New Years bowl the AAC can seize on that and prove itself worthy of being considered part of the P-6. Diaco will see that. he also sees how UConn rewards their coaches like Geno and Jim Calhoun and if he gets similar results they'd reward him accordingly. As long as attendance improves with winning percentage why start all over again when the foundation is being poured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom