BY interest level in WNBA (Poll) | The Boneyard

BY interest level in WNBA (Poll)

What best desribes your interest in the WNBA?

• I go to multiple WNBA games (home team) and watch as many WNBA games online as possible

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • I might go to a game or two and will try to watch my favorite teams online

Votes: 28 26.2%
  • I dont go to any live games and only try to watch teams with UConn (or other favorite) players

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • If it isn't college basketball, I have no interest.

Votes: 17 15.9%

• Total voters

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am interested in trying to gauge the interest of the BY in the WNBA. My general sense has been that it is less than may be expected from such a WCBB fanatical audience.

Here goes.

Reaction Score
I live overseas so won't be going to any games. I previously considered purchasing WNBA League Pass but will definitely purchase this year for the first time.

While I am UConn fan, after this NCAA season, I also have an interest in seeing how other team's players do at the next level.

It would be interesting to know if there is any correlation between the people who complain about WNBA players not getting paid enough and those that attend games.

Of course this will depend on your geographic location and personal financial situation but it would be nice to think that those that identify as women's basketball fans would invest in WNBA by either going to games and/or purchasing league pass.

Reaction Score
I live overseas so won't be going to any games. I previously considered purchasing WNBA League Pass but will definitely purchase this year for the first time.

While I am UConn fan, after this NCAA season, I also have an interest in seeing how other team's players do at the next level.

It would be interesting to know if there is any correlation between the people who complain about WNBA players not getting paid enough and those that attend games.

Of course this will depend on your geographic location and personal financial situation but it would be nice to think that those that identify as women's basketball fans would invest in WNBA by either going to games and/or purchasing league pass.
I sign with WNBA leaguepass for $9.99 per year and I can watch all WNBA live games. This is a very good deal.

WNBA League Pass

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This is an interesting research question, but unfortunately the available responses conflate (inter alia) in-person attendance and broadcast viewing, which are very different metrics.

Reaction Score
Went to my first Sun game last year. Usually follow on TV and League Pass.

Reaction Score
Get your daggers ready to throw at me.
I watched the WNBA and was really looking forward to the finals between LA and Minnesota. Then LA didn't come out for the National Anthem, and MN didn't place their hands over their hearts they locked elbows. I turned the TV off and haven't watched another game, They have every right to disrespect our country, our flag, and our national anthem. I have every right to be disgusted by their lack of respect for the greatest country on earth that has offered more opportunities to immigrants (my grandfather) and others who are born into poverty. I am a minority and don't want any part of Colin Kapernick and his ilk.
This is why I and my friends who were over at my house to watch the game have no interest in the WNBA. FYI, we all were members of a minority. The whole group had already quit watching NFL.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
After reading the feedback, one category I wish I added was

watching as many games as I can with League Pass (online in my vernacular) but am unable to go to games because of expense / location.

Maybe to try to count those people in that category, you may select answer 1 since this implies that you would like to go to a significant number of games but cant due to logistical circumstances.

I know my approach is not ideal but I am not a professional pollster. :oops:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I root for the Duke players..... and the team I currently root for the most is the LA Sparks because they have my all time favorite player (Chelsea Gray) and the greatest Duke player of all time (Alana Beard) on the same roster.

I went to WNBA games down in Charlotte..... but alas

RIP Sting :(
charlotte-sting-logo.png

Reaction Score
Not fair to eliminate those of us who don't go to the games, but still watch as many as we can, and are fans.
This is the category I fall in. I voted for the third option as that comes closest but substitute that I root for South Carolina players rather than UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I sign with WNBA leaguepass for $9.99 per year and I can watch all WNBA live games. This is a very good deal.

WNBA League Pass
Just received a correction e-mail from WNBA changing the fee from $9.99 to $16.99. Not good.

Dear WNBA League Pass subscriber,Earlier this week you received a notification regarding the renewal of your WNBA League Pass subscription. Unfortunately, we made a mistake and provided you information to renew a Team Pass package at $9.99. You will be renewed for the full WNBA League Pass package, the same package you received last season, at $16.99 (last season's price for the full WNBA League Pass).

We know you are a loyal customer and dedicated fan of the WNBA and are truly sorry for any confusion we have caused. We hope that you will continue to support the WNBA and League Pass for what will surely be an exciting 2019 season.

Your renewal charge will go into effect on May 20. Additional details of your renewal can be found below. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to us at leaguepasssupport@wnba.com

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Making such a blunder is not good optics to be sure but imo, the product was always ridiculously under priced. I am fine with the new price. Maybe I will be surprised and find that they have improved some of the features.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
After reading the feedback, one category I wish I added was

watching as many games as I can with League Pass (online in my vernacular) but am unable to go to games because of expense / location.

Maybe to try to count those people in that category, you may select answer 1 since this implies that you would like to go to a significant number of games but cant due to logistical circumstances.

I know my approach is not ideal but I am not a professional pollster. :oops:
And, as I mentioned in another thread, I am another category. I don't watch games on-line. My category is "I might go to a game or 2 at the nearest arena 2+ hours away and I will watch games that interest me that are on broadcast TV".

Reaction Score
I'll watch games on the League Pass. The closest venue is Minny and they charge too much so unless they play when I go to see the Twins play the Mets in July I won't attend any games this year.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I try and make it to a game or two in Atlanta each season. This year, I might make it to a Liberty game, since they picked up Bianca Cuevas-Moore. I wish they would move back into the city, though. White Plains is a nuisance of a trip from Manhattan.

Reaction Score
I live in Wyoming, so I definitely don't fall into any of the categories. I try to watch as many games as possible on TV, but I don't know if I will purchase the league pass this year. I do plan on going to Vegas sometime this summer, so maybe an Aces game might line up with that trip

Reaction Score
I try and make it to a game or two in Atlanta each season. This year, I might make it to a Liberty game, since they picked up Bianca Cuevas-Moore. I wish they would move back into the city, though. White Plains is a nuisance of a trip from Manhattan.

You better make it to preseason game because I have my doubts Cuevas-Moore makes the final roster.

Reaction Score
I'll watch games on the League Pass. The closest venue is Minny and they charge too much so unless they play when I go to see the Twins play the Mets in July I won't attend any games this year.

This works out beautifully, because the Twins play at home against the Mets at noon on July 17. The Lynx play that same night at home against the Storm. The two venues are even right next to each other.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
You better make it to preseason game because I have my doubts Cuevas-Moore makes the final roster.
I won't be in the city until the last weekend in June, so if she's not on the roster then, I won't be trudging out to Westchester.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
No one should ever wonder why the WNBA does not succeed in attracting more people to their games and telecasts. The chart below shows the interest of serious women's basketball fans, us. So it will be a Sisyphus effort to attract those who are not interested or familar with the WNBA. It shows 65.5% of us at best have nominal interest which actually originates in the WCB. Even the 26.4% who might (might not?) go to 1 or 2 games aren't exactly fans. Particularly if watching online where ad income usually is circumvented. A case could be made for only 8% of us who are WNBA fans. Fans who contribute to the WNBA's coffers. After 23 years there should be more interest. I'm back to deep pocket corporations and individuals funding the WNBA, not unlike Europe and Russia. In China all 18 of the WCBA are sponsered by corporations. Perhaps such an arrangement would result in the income the players almost desire (sorry no LeBron deals at least initially) and loss leader admission prices. Perhaps as a group the corporations could leverage their ad dollars to get favorable TV/Streaming deals. Obviously I am a doubter of the WNBA/NBA "partnership" ever working.

Anyone know the income from the WNBA's deals with AT&T, CBS, and Nike?
1555958323843.png

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
^^^^

I'd go to games..... but the nearest team is 4.5 hours away by interstate.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just adding a Voeple article about why the WNBA should be interesting even with some of the best stars out. Unfortunately, Not as convincing as I would like.

2019 WNBA season: Lots to look forward to despite injuries

Her take on the rookies who might be interesting

This draft class doesn't have that one player who you would bet the house is an immediate franchise-changer, like rookie of the year A'ja Wilson was last summer with the Las Vegas Aces. That said, there are more first-year players who have a chance to make an impact than is generally the case. Especially with some of the stars' absences, rookies could get a lot of court time.

Notre Dame's Jackie Young was the No. 1 selection by the Aces, and you never dismiss the top pick's chances for the rookie of the year award. But Young might be more of a complementary player -- albeit a very good one who does a lot of things -- for the Aces.

And we certainly aren't going to overlook No. 2 Asia Durr (New York Liberty), No. 3 Teaira McCowan (Indiana Fever) or No. 4 Katie Lou Samuelson (Sky), all of whom should fill needed roles on their respective teams.

But early projections for rookie of the year favorite status probably lean toward No. 5 Arike Ogunbowale (Wings) and No. 6 Napheesa Collier (Lynx), in large part because they both could carry a big scoring load for their teams dealing with veteran absences. And they both have head coaches -- Agler and Minnesota's Cheryl Reeve -- who really like their personalities and how they play.

I pretty much agree..

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Voeple has lost her credibility with me as I find her views flawed without logic or facts to support them. As such, I have refrained from reading her articles so I don’t yell out loud or bang my head on a wall.

I want anyone BUT Arike to win ROY. Just can’t stand her....

Reaction Score
The lack of serious salaries in the league has led to chronic taking off of seasons, and demands for trades or else the player will take off the season. So LA is an automatic challenger for the championship because li'l sister demands to go to big sister's team or else. And Maya takes off a season, well, just because. And Cambage appears more interested in going back Down Undah than playing in the WNBA, which she's dissed in the past.

I think that the players association and the league need to dramatically step up investments in the league and salaries of its players, or else this nonsense will lead to the league's being sidelined permanently.

The status quo is just not an option.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom