Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Junior Husky Club members (Kids) are FREE...everyone else: $15. #FILLTHERENT

JHC%20football%20houston.jpg
UC-PAC-TEMPLATE-2-Column_15.gif

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Just bought a set of 4 and will give them out to a basketball fan who has never been to a game at the Rent on the following conditions:

You tailgate before the game. It's an experience. Go set up your tent, bring a grill and beverages and friends and have a good time. Enjoy the process.

Be in the seats for the kickoff. Team loves to see the fans in the stands when they run out of the tunnel and its a fun thing to watch as well.

Take a picture of yourself at the game with the scoreboard in the background. So I know you went to the game and used the tickets.

Any takers?

Reaction Score
I suggest you add that the takers can also tailgate at others' tailgates. Just seek out an invite on the football board.

Drew

Reaction Score
I suggest you add that the takers can also tailgate at others' tailgates. Just seek out an invite on the football board.

This too. Just do the experience of game day.

Reaction Score
Seeing as the Furman game is technically part of a tournament is it included in season ticket packages?

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Seeing as the Furman game is technically part of a tournament is it included in season ticket packages?
What tournament?? I'm quite positive it's not part of Atlantis...

Reaction Score
I read somewhere that it was the "on campus" portion of the Battle For Atlantis.
Yup, for some reason, there's a mainland tournament:

The game between Elon and Michigan is part of the Battle 4 Atlantis Mainland Games. The Wolverines will participate in the main Battle 4 Atlantis tournament in Paradise Island, Bahamas Thanksgiving week, Nov. 25-27, 2015 at Imperial Arena. Elon will host a Battle 4 Atlantis Mainland Tournament Nov. 25-27 at Alumni Gym, hosting Mount St. Mary's, Furman, and Texas A&M Corpus-Christi.

http://www.elonphoenix.com/news/2015/11/15/MBB_1115153542.aspx

Reaction Score

Why not? This kind of thing is pretty normal these days.

For instance, the game Georgetown lost to Radford was technically part of the 2K Classic. It doesn't hold any bracket implications though. Radford was always going to go to the "undercard" portion and Georgetown was always going to go the "main event" portion, regardless of the outcome.

Same for us and Furman.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Why not? This kind of thing is pretty normal these days.
I guess. I was skeptical because neither uconnhuskies.com nor the Battle 4 Atlantis site made any mention of these mainland games. I know Atlantis did a mainland tournament last year but couldn't find any mention of it this year. It's good in the sense that it gives those low major teams a chance to play more exempt games.

Also, in the past uconnhuskies.com was good about listing on campus games for these tournaments (see the 2K Classic a couple years back). Leave it @tcf15 to find the pertinent info.

Reaction Score
I guess. I was skeptical because neither uconnhuskies.com nor the Battle 4 Atlantis site made any mention of these mainland games. I know Atlantis did a mainland tournament last year but couldn't find any mention of it this year. It's good in the sense that it gives those low major teams a chance to play more exempt games.

Also, in the past uconnhuskies.com was good about listing on campus games for these tournaments (see the 2K Classic a couple years back). Leave it @tcf15 to find the pertinent info.
Believe it or not, I was unaware until I read about the mainland tourney over on the football board.

Drew

Reaction Score
Have acquired more tix for Saturday courtesy of @Dooley

Offer still stands. Basketball fans who want them come n get them.

Reaction Score
Figured I would get some views if I stated it like that. Seriously, go to the FB game

Nah, I'll pass since I'm not really into football. Let me try this, Send me money... seriously, just send me money

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to a complete football novice how a .500 team will become bowl eligible just by beating 1 ranked conference opponent? Is this part of a conference tournament or something?

Reaction Score
Every time this thread gets bumped I think it's about the 2016 Final Four. I'm sorta superstitious about buying Final Four tickets in advance. I'll buy mine the week before.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to a complete football novice how a .500 team will become bowl eligible just by beating 1 ranked conference opponent? Is this part of a conference tournament or something?

There are a lot of bowls. You just have to be .500 and in a conference that has a bowl affiliation.

Reaction Score
I think 6 wins makes you bowl eligible, and 7 wins guarantees you a bowl game.

Dooley

Reaction Score

6 wins, for all intents and purposes, gets a team to bowl eligibility. There are oodles of bowl games that are tied to certain conferences based on teams' records (6+ wins). To get an invite, most bowls require a minimum of 6 wins but would prefer 7. If a bowl game that is tied-in to a conference that can't produce enough bowl eligible teams (6+wins), then they have the right to "shop elsewhere" and invite another 6+ win team. It is possible that a 6-win team does NOT get invited to a bowl game (ex - Temple last year was 6-6 and did not go to a bowl). For the most part, bowls invite teams that meet the minimum 6 wins AND they feel confident will sell tickets. Temple's fanbase does not have a great reputation for traveling or selling tickets in its own stadium.

For UConn, playing a ranked conference opponent is just a happy circumstance for this Saturday. If we beat either Houston on Saturday or Temple next Saturday, that will get us to 6 wins and bowl eligible. The resume, much like basketball RPI/SOS, would be greatly improved as the final win would come against a very tough, ranked opponent.

Here's a catch - let's say UConn wins on Saturday and only draws 20K. A bowl committee might pass on UConn in favor of another school who they feel would sell more tickets at their game. That's why it is fairly important that the football game draws well this Saturday. While the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium would certainly consider UConn (if their tie-ins aren't all met), a bowl located somewhere else might not and point to dismal attendance at our last 2 home games against quality opponents as a reason why.

One more catch - it is possible that a 5-7 team could receive a bowl invite. But, again, the determining factors used for that would hurt UConn's chances. I think the tie breaking determination for 5-7 team invites is APR...and our football program scores 960, which is below other teams who would potentially be 5-7 (there is a posting on the football board of possible 5-7 teams APR scores if you are interested).

So to summarize this long-winded reply, our best chance at a bowl game is winning both games to close the year. Our next best chance is to win one of our final games...with a decent crowd in our last home game. Right now, the Courant is reporting that only 23K tickets have been sold for the game. That is incredibly and embarrassingly low for such a big game against a highly ranked opponent.

Hope this answers your question.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Nah, I'll pass since I'm not really into football. Let me try this, Send me money... seriously, just send me money

I'll send you free tickets if you want to go. It's okay if you don't...just thought I'd offer.

Reaction Score

If you care about UConn basketball, then you should care about UConn football. Its been explained endless times that football drives the $$$ bus in college sports, and is the reason we're not currently in a P5 conference. Unless you're happy playing Tulane and East Carolina in hoops every year.

Reaction Score
If you care about UConn basketball, then you should care about UConn football. Its been explained endless times that football drives the $$$ bus in college sports, and is the reason we're not currently in a P5 conference. Unless you're happy playing Tulane and East Carolina in hoops every year.

Yeah, I'm going to start paying attention to UConn football simply because its football that drives the $$$ in college sports, because I have soooo much free time that I'm just looking for things to watch that bore me to no end and I cant escape in pop culture or the business world, do you people have to try to be this ridiculous or does it come natural? You really think that because I'm a UConn basketball crazy, I'm going to take up fandom in a sport that literally every day (during the NFL season living in Boston) I have to remind someone "yeah I'm not really into football at all, I don't know what happened to your boy Edelman"??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom