Butler? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Butler?

Reaction Score
Not only did she do a great job while she was in the game, but I thought he should have gotten several minutes from her in the first half.
If nothing else, to spread around the fouls that were going to be called no matter what was going on.

Reaction Score
I remember SO clearly Heather Buck's one big game, where Geno sicced her on Britney Griner and HB shut her down. No comparison between the two Huskies, but just a trip down memory lane..
The next year Geno kept her mainly on the bench and Griner had her way with Dolson. A bad move by a great coach. Buck had her uses. At the very end of her college career, her field goal percentage was very high and her defense was outstanding. I wish so much that things had worked out better for her. She was one of the kids maybe Geno was not the right coach for. And, after all, she was a CT girl and it would have been nice to see things work out for her.

Reaction Score
I remember SO clearly Heather Buck's one big game, where Geno sicced her on Britney Griner and HB shut her down. No comparison between the two Huskies, but just a trip down memory lane..
I thought that game would earn her some love from Geno, and maybe a bit more playing time. I was wrong.

Reaction Score
I thought that game would earn her some love from Geno, and maybe a bit more playing time. I was wrong.
Didn't she get injured right after that game (wrist, maybe)? It's hard to build on momentum and have the coach play you when you're hurt.

Reaction Score
Funny how after the SMU game she was called a liability on the court , didn't see that poster in this thread
I don't think I was the one who used the term liability, but I certainly did decry her lack of athleticism. But she has earned her role, and it is a role that helps the team. She has heart, hustle and is fearless. She does not jump well, and her close in hook shot is nonexistent, but she is a banger, and that helps. Last night, she disrupted South Carolina and added to their frustration level. I am glad we have her.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Natalie was crucial. With Napheesa on the bench, and then out with 5 fouls, Natalie's presence was important. I loved the way she fought for rebounds and played physical defense. Great game, Nat!

She did just fine, and forced an important foul on one of their bigs. This was one of those games where you can say that -- Gabby aside (because she was spectacular) -- UConn needed every minute of play from everyone who got into the game.

In Pats speak, Butler "did her job."

I was going to add my two cents here, but others stole my thunder, and beat me to what I was going to add. This was a game that gave Geno no margin for error. With Lou not able to score, and Nurse getting hurt early on, Gabby and Napheesa had to step up. Some of us seem to forget that everyone cannot be a star every night. Last night, it was Gabby's turn to step out front and take the lead. There have been games where Lou scored BIG time, and Gabby played a support role by adding 10 or 11 points.

As others have mentioned, when your shot is not falling, you find other ways to help your teammates. Thats what Lou did last night. She absorbed lots of lumps and bruises in the process. Collier is as regular as a morning sunrise. She brings her hard hat, lunch pale and steel toed shoes to work EVERYDAY!!! She played her usual SOLID game last night. As tomcat commented, "UConn needed every minute of play from everyone who got into the game". Even though Butler came in for only 7 minutes, Geno really needed her for those 7 minutes. He needed her to do exactly what she did; help stem a run that SC was poised to start. You can say the dike sprang a small temporary leak, and Butler came in and put her finger in it to stop it. Her brief 7 minutes in the game was crucial.
Butler and Dangerfield was Geno's bench last night. They BOTH came in, and did what he needed them to do.

Another unsung player that got very little acknowledgement was Crystal Dangerfield. 5 points - 2 rebounds - 2 turnovers and 7 assists in 30 minutes of play. Geno probably planned to only go 2 deep off the bench. I don't believe he planned on playing Dangerfield as much as he was forced to, except for the injury to Nurse. If you remember, he benched Crystal the first half of the previous game. Yes, Crystal had two turnovers, but she played all but 10 minutes of the game, and ran the point the entire time she was on the floor. She had lots of opportunities to have many more.

Those 7 assists translated into 14 points. added to her 5, that's 19 points her accounted for. Her play last night was also crucial. She stepped up when called upon, and as Waquoit said about Butler, she too did her job!! Last night's win was truly a team effort. Gabby had a career night on offense, but she needed help, and lots of it. She got it from the other 6 players that got in the game.

We never know who's going to step up from game to game. The good thing is that somebody always does. SC took Lou out of the game, just like Geno took their BIGS out of the game. Checkmate.
The difference was other players stepped up for UConn, no one did so for the Gamecocks. USC was held to 22 points below their season average (77). I'd say our girls did an excellent job in that regard. USC scored 63 & 74 points in their two losses. UConn held them to only 55.

I'm standing up and giving the entire team (and coaches) a standing ovation for their efforts and accomplishments last night, for a job well done. UConn's performance last night should remove all doubt about who the best team in the country is. They ran the gauntlet (beat every ranked team on their schedule), and came out unscathed. Now, ALL of the haters and doubters can step back into the shadows until they lose. No more ifs, ands, or buts!! Like Mike Wilbon says on his PTI program: Haters, "Get 'em outta here". :mad:

TIP IN - If there was any doubt about Gabby's worthiness of being selected as an ALL-AMERICAN this year, I think she removed any & all doubt last night. The entire country saw her have one of the best games of her career, and do it against one of the best BIG teams in the country. A bow and a tip o' the turban to miss Gabby. If America didn't know who you were before, they do now. :)

Reaction Score
The Badass Bench player award goes to-----BUTLER
BASSASS FRESHMEN AWARD GOES TO--Dangerfield!!!

Butler never played such a physical game and held her own.
Dangerfield--ball handling and 7 assists were only amazing for a frosh--she proved she belongs as a starter.
She came in and did a great job. And she didn't take no either, she was banging !!

Reaction Score
The next year Geno kept her mainly on the bench and Griner had her way with Dolson. A bad move by a great coach. Buck had her uses. At the very end of her college career, her field goal percentage was very high and her defense was outstanding. I wish so much that things had worked out better for her. She was one of the kids maybe Geno was not the right coach for. And, after all, she was a CT girl and it would have been nice to see things work out for her.
I STILL say that Geno was holding her out to keep down film of her, reserving her for a possible FF meeting with Baylor. Louisville took care of that, and then Buck had her steal-and-coast-to-coast moment in the NC game.

Reaction Score
I just watched the SC game for the 3rd time (well 2 and 5/8 really, I missed the first 15 minutes live thanks to ESPN) and the last time through I paid particular attention to Butler. At the end of the game she was a MONSTER! If SC ever had any chance to get back into it (which I doubt) at that point it was gone the moment Nat hit the floor. She completely took away their post game and really disrupted the flow for the whole team. Tough? She not only stood her ground but gave more than she got, and if anyone was intimidated it was the SC posts. They never had a chance against her. It's been said here before that she's at her best against the bigger players, but I think this game leaves no doubt.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I think she was under instructions not to shoot. She had at least two wide open 15 footers that she normally takes and makes. I don't think Geno has the trust in her that many of you have. I would love her to get Kia minutes during these last four games. Most of her extended time is with Saniya and the three freshmen. There isn't any reason why that can't change.

Reaction Score
I think she was under instructions not to shoot. She had at least two wide open 15 footers that she normally takes and makes. I don't think Geno has the trust in her that many of you have. I would love her to get Kia minutes during these last four games. Most of her extended time is with Saniya and the three freshmen. There isn't any reason why that can't change.
I think you're probably right about this game. In one instance she very obviously stopped and thought for a second before passing up the shot. Fact is, at that distance she is probably not the best option unless she is the only one with any chance to make a play. The conference games are giving her a great chance to improve and she has, but when the chips are down she should stick to plays under the basket and her strengths, which are not only defense but setting great screens, etc. and very good passing to help her teammates.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nat has tremendous value to this team, particularly against opponents with big post players. When Pheesa went out with 4 fouls, I posted on the game thread that "we need a few good minutes from Nat." She didn't set the world on fire, but she played solid post defense and fought SC's bigs for every single rebound. I love having Nat on the bench for the battles to come in the NCAA tournament. She is a 6'5" insurance policy.

Something else to consider about Nat. She is in the process of undergoing a Steph-like transformation of her body. She is so much leaner and fitter than last season and even from the beginning of this season, that it is startling. She has improved her footwork, ability to catch and hold the ball, shooting and passing. Her discipline and commitment to this team is outstanding.

A lot of folks think that Nat will fade into the background next year when Z, Batouly & Megan are ready to play. I for one think Nat will battle them every step of the way to hold onto her minutes in the rotation. She will be better next year than this year. Assuming Z is a starter, I see Nat as her primary replacement off the bench. I can also envision certain situations where Geno plays Z, Nat and either Pheesa or Batouly at the same time, giving UConn the most formidable front line in WBB.

We tend to focus on the superstars at UConn, and there have been many, but one of the most inspiring aspects of UConn Women's Basketball is the extraordinary growth and contribution of roll players like Kia Stokes, Saniya, Nat and ______(fill in the blank).

Reaction Score
Didn't she get injured right after that game (wrist, maybe)? It's hard to build on momentum and have the coach play you when you're hurt.
I remember following behind her and CD heading to the Civic Center and she was in a walking boot. So it was a foot or ankle injury.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I watched the Baylor game again, mostly because I couldnt believe the stat that Gabby had zero rebounds. In that game Gabby sat 5 minutes into the first quarter(2 fouls) and Natalie took her place. Butler did great in solidifying the middle. She should be spelling players more, IMO

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Beautifully stated.

Incidentally, what's your favorite Mahler symphony?
The 2nd - Resurrection. Finale is one of my very most favorite pieces.

Thanks for asking!

Reaction Score
(1) Nat has tremendous value to this team, particularly against opponents with big post players[/B].

(2) Something else to consider about Nat. She is in the process of undergoing a Steph-like transformation of her body. She is so much leaner and fitter than last season and even from the beginning of this season, that it is startling.

(3) A lot of folks think that Nat will fade into the background next year when Z, Batouly & Megan are ready to play. I for one think Nat will battle them every step of the way to hold onto her minutes in the rotation. She will be better next year than this year. (4) Assuming Z is a starter, I see Nat as her primary replacement off the bench. (5) I can also envision certain situations where Geno plays Z, Nat and either Pheesa or Batouly at the same time, giving UConn the most formidable front line in WBB.

We tend to focus on the superstars at UConn, and there have been many, but one of the most inspiring aspects of UConn Women's Basketball is the extraordinary growth and contribution of roll players like Kia Stokes, Saniya, Nat (6) and ______(fill in the blank).

1-- YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2-- I noticed about a game maybe two ago. She really does look quicker / faster, doesn't she? Too bad she missed her shots and made some God-awful passes on that particular day.
3---- I expect she'll be better.
4--- If she "beats out Camara" and IF we take out Z and she is preferred to come in over Danger (because when Danger comes in for Z we would still be able to move COllier up front with Gabby, Lou at the sf and Kia.) SO if she is Z's replacement it would eman she is on par with Danger and Walker. If that were to happen - we'd all be saying next year's team is best ever.
5-- With Geno I can envision ANYTHING. The lineup you have certainly is not far-fetched. I am sure Collier and Z won't be relegated to being "post players." they will move outside too.
6--- So many ......................

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Carnac, post: 2043371, member: 5798"SC was held to 22 points below their season average (77). I'd say our girls did an excellent job in that regard." [/QUOTE]

Fair enough (although NCAA stats out the PPG at 76, which would make it 21 points). But in fairness, the Huskies were held to 20 points below THEIR season average of 86 ppg.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Carnac, post: 2043371, member: 5798"SC was held to 22 points below their season average (77). I'd say our girls did an excellent job in that regard."

Fair enough (although NCAA stats out the PPG at 76, which would make it 21 points). But in fairness, the Huskies were held to 20 points below THEIR season average of 86 ppg.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm....seems like Lous average

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Carnac, post: 2043371, member: 5798"SC was held to 22 points below their season average (77). I'd say our girls did an excellent job in that regard."

Fair enough (although NCAA stats out the PPG at 76, which would make it 21 points). But in fairness, the Huskies were held to 20 points below THEIR season average of 86 ppg.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm....seems like Lous average

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

The numbers I used in my post were not mine. If you're more comfortable using the NCAA stats you reference, I'm OK with that. I'm also OK with recognizing that USC held UConn to 20 points below their average as well. USC gave UConn the kind of competitive game they needed. This game was a late season "barometer" of its current status. A status report that competition in the AAC cannot provide. The most important things UConn took away from this game was:
1. Do we have any weaknesses that need to be addressed and corrected?
2. It provided the team with a renewed confidence they'll need going into the NCAA tournament.

South Carolina is not a "scrub team". They are a very good top 6 team. They gave the Huskies the game they were expecting and looking for. UConn proved it could over come an injury to a starter, and an off night by their leading scorer, and still found a way to win. If you want to focus on UConn being held to 20 points under their normal average, you're not seeing the big picture here. Both teams still have a lot of work to do before the NCAA tournament begins.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom